Acutol vs. Rodinal

Old March 27th 04, 02:43 AM
John

Default Acutol vs. Rodinal

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:24:06 GMT, Severi Salminen
wrote:

Actually that is not true - again. Rodinal offers bigger (maybe even
sharper) grain, better tonality (as you can see, this is 100%
subjective), more shelf life, much more capacity, is cheaper to use and
availability is very good.

Don't forget versatility. Rodinal can be used to develop Tech
Pan and other high contrast films when used at the 1:100 dilution.
Also it has been reported to work as a good warm-tone paper developer
when used at the 1:4 dilutions.

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email
Old March 27th 04, 06:53 PM
Michael Scarpitti

Severi Salminen wrote in message ...
Rodinal is better-known, but inferior.

Actually that is not true - again. Rodinal offers bigger (maybe even
sharper) grain, better tonality (as you can see, this is 100%
subjective), more shelf life, much more capacity, is cheaper to use and
availability is very good. And for larger negatives the acutance and
sharpness is completely sufficient for all situations. Whether a photo
is good or not depends totally on other things...

'Cheaper' I grant, but nought else. Acutol is superior to Rodinal in
all other respects. Do a comparison yourself and see.

Whether it is better or worse than some other developer is up to the
user in question - up to his/her preferences. This is not that black and
white as you allways seem to think

Severi S.

Old March 27th 04, 06:54 PM
Michael Scarpitti

wrote:

Actually that is not true - again. Rodinal offers bigger (maybe even
sharper) grain, better tonality (as you can see, this is 100%
subjective), more shelf life, much more capacity, is cheaper to use and
availability is very good.

Don't forget versatility. Rodinal can be used to develop Tech
Pan and other high contrast films when used at the 1:100 dilution.
Also it has been reported to work as a good warm-tone paper developer
when used at the 1:4 dilutions.

Acutol can also be used with TechPan, when diluted suitably.
Old March 27th 04, 07:14 PM
David Nebenzahl

Default Acutol vs. Rodinal--off to the races

On 3/27/2004 10:53 AM Michael Scarpitti spake thus:

Severi Salminen wrote in message

Rodinal is better-known, but inferior.

Actually that is not true - again. Rodinal offers bigger (maybe even
sharper) grain, better tonality (as you can see, this is 100%
subjective), more shelf life, much more capacity, is cheaper to use and
availability is very good. And for larger negatives the acutance and
sharpness is completely sufficient for all situations. Whether a photo
is good or not depends totally on other things...

'Cheaper' I grant, but nought else. Acutol is superior to Rodinal in
all other respects. Do a comparison yourself and see.

OK. Gauntlet thrown down. Anyone want to do some tests?

--
.... but never have I encountered a guy who could not be bothered
to make his own case on his own show.

- Eric Alterman on his appearance on Dennis Miller's bomb of a show
on CNBC (3/17/04)

Old March 27th 04, 07:36 PM
Severi Salminen

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
om...

Actually that is not true - again. Rodinal offers bigger (maybe even
sharper) grain, better tonality (as you can see, this is 100%
subjective), more shelf life, much more capacity, is cheaper to use and
availability is very good. And for larger negatives the acutance and
sharpness is completely sufficient for all situations. Whether a photo
is good or not depends totally on other things...

'Cheaper' I grant, but nought else. Acutol is superior to Rodinal in
all other respects. Do a comparison yourself and see.

So you only agree on cost. Ok, let me see... Are you saying that the next
_is_ true (it is the opposite what I wrote above):

1. Rodinal gives smaller grain than Acutol.

- I think you said yourself that _Acutol_ gives smaller grain. Go figure...

2. Acutol can be used when diluted to 1 + 200 or even more.

- Looking at Paterson site they only list 1+19 as a usable dilution. I'd be
surprised if 1 + 200 works well. Does it?

3. Acutol lasts longer than (say) 15 years in opened bottle.

4. A 500ml bottle of Acutol can process over 100 films.

- Well, if 5ml of Actol is enough for one roll of film, then it is possible.
That would also need about 1 + 50 dilution.

5. Acutol can be bought from Anttila here in Finland.

- I know it can't...

So again I must say that you are wrong. Rodinal is actually superior to
Acutol and I encourage everyone to at least try it.

Severi S.

Old March 27th 04, 07:57 PM
ian green

"Kokon" : ...

There is also a Rodinal version made by Foma from Czech Republic, Fomadon
R09.

btw have you tried fomadon w27?
can you share any subjective comments?

--

ian green
Xeto : photo & graphic project

Old March 27th 04, 09:52 PM
Frank Pittel

David Nebenzahl wrote:
: On 3/27/2004 10:53 AM Michael Scarpitti spake thus:

: Severi Salminen wrote in message
: ...
:
: Rodinal is better-known, but inferior.
:
: Actually that is not true - again. Rodinal offers bigger (maybe even
: sharper) grain, better tonality (as you can see, this is 100%
: subjective), more shelf life, much more capacity, is cheaper to use and
: availability is very good. And for larger negatives the acutance and
: sharpness is completely sufficient for all situations. Whether a photo
: is good or not depends totally on other things...
:
: 'Cheaper' I grant, but nought else. Acutol is superior to Rodinal in
: all other respects. Do a comparison yourself and see.

: OK. Gauntlet thrown down. Anyone want to do some tests?

No. Since scarpitti says acutol is superior to rodinal I'm going to take
it as a matter of faith that rodinal is superior in every way. There two
reasons for this. The first is that I've seen prints made from 4x5 negatives
enlarged to 16x20 and the results needed to be seen to be believed. The
second is scarpitti's track record.

-------------------

Old March 27th 04, 11:51 PM
jjs

Don't you just love these "better than" conversation that never show
outcomes? Killfile 'em all.
Old March 28th 04, 02:08 AM
Kokon

ian green wrote:
"Kokon" : ...

There is also a Rodinal version made by Foma from Czech Republic,

Fomadon
R09.

btw have you tried fomadon w27?
can you share any subjective comments?

I'm just about to buy it:-) From what I've heard, it hasn't been available
in Poland for some time, but now it seems to be. I've read that it's a copy
of X-tol. A friend of my recommended W-27 with Neopan 400.
Besides R09, I also tried W-17, a copy of Microphen, but just twice.

Regards,
Blazej Malachowski