Curious

Old December 9th 04, 06:30 PM

I wrote:
Couple the 700-200 with a good 1.4 TC and I bet it would make a better
300 f5.6 than the consumer zoom.
Cody,
==========================

Actually, that would be a 280 f5.6
If you prefer the longer focal lengths you could get the EF 200 f2.8L II
USM and have a Great 200 f2.8 and I bet it would be a very good 280 f4
with a good 1.4 TC. I bet the EF 200 f2.8L II USM with 2X TC which would
= 400 f5.6 would be better than the consumer zoom at 300 f5.6.

Cody,

http://community-2.webtv.net/AnOverc...otographyLinks

Old December 9th 04, 07:55 PM
Alan Browne

Doug Payne wrote:

That puts the D70 in on the 300D level. Which is accurate as it doesn't
offer anything more than 300D.

That's not entirely so. Although some will undoubtedly argue that these
are of absolutely no value to them, the D70 offers:

I've starred them according to the value of the advantage (IMO).

1% spot metering, *****
adjustable centre-weighted metering **
1/8000 shutter speed (vs 1/4000) **

Although considering the ISO 200 limitation, possibly a benefit with fast lenses.

1/500 flash sync (vs 1/200) *****
ISO settings in 1/3 stop steps (vs full stop) ***

(Note only 2 *'s since the Canon 300D, with variations of speed in 1/3 and exp
comp in 1/3 EV, it all washes out (not sure about aperture)).

Slowest ISO is 200, a disadvantage (although not terribly important).

flash exposure compensation *****
multiple wireless flash support ****
flash rear sync *****
3 fps with a 20-shot buffer (vs 2.5 fps, 4-shot buffer)

*** or ***** if action shooting

much faster CF write speed ****
faster startup time **
custom settings (in what sense? more, better, useful?)
on demand gridlines in the viewfinder ****

But, in any case, for he who has one or the other manufacturers lenses, the
whole issue is a bit moot.

Cheers,
Alan.

Old December 9th 04, 08:04 PM

Yes, and your images will show it. I have used that lens, and it eats
the lenses you're talking about for lunch. It's simply a stunning lens.

Old December 9th 04, 08:04 PM

Old December 9th 04, 08:15 PM
Paul Bielec

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
.. .
Doug Payne wrote:

[...]

I agree. People were picking one or the other based on the lenses they
already had.
In my case, the Nikon lenses I had were crappy.

Old December 9th 04, 08:27 PM
Alan Browne

Paul Bielec wrote:

I agree. People were picking one or the other based on the lenses they
already had.
In my case, the Nikon lenses I had were crappy.

That can alway$ be $olved the traditional way.