Canon 1D Mark II shutter life - maintenance - refurb - replacement

Old November 28th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JC Dill

Default Canon 1D Mark II shutter life - maintenance - refurb - replacement

I shoot sports events, sometimes taking more than 10k shots a day at a
busy event. My Canon 1D Mark II body has around 100k shutter
actuations on it. I would like to avoid having the shutter fail in
the middle of an event, so I want to know what types of maintenance I
can have done to help stave off such a problem.

Does anyone here have any experience with what you get WRT extending
the shutter life when you have the camera serviced by Canon? Does a
regular service before the expected shutter failure point extend the
period before the shutter might fail? Does Canon offer any special
shutter refurbishing that would extend the life of the camera, and if
so can someone quote (estimate) the cost for this service? Does
anyone know what it costs to have the shutter repaired if it fails?

Thanks!

jc

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA
Old November 28th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Phil Wheeler

JC Dill wrote:
I shoot sports events, sometimes taking more than 10k shots a day at a
busy event. My Canon 1D Mark II body has around 100k shutter
actuations on it. I would like to avoid having the shutter fail in
the middle of an event, so I want to know what types of maintenance I
can have done to help stave off such a problem.

Does anyone here have any experience with what you get WRT extending
the shutter life when you have the camera serviced by Canon? Does a
regular service before the expected shutter failure point extend the
period before the shutter might fail? Does Canon offer any special
shutter refurbishing that would extend the life of the camera, and if
so can someone quote (estimate) the cost for this service? Does
anyone know what it costs to have the shutter repaired if it fails?

Call Canon tech support. They will tell you.

Phil
Old November 28th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Hilton

JC Dill wrote:
I shoot sports events, sometimes taking more than 10k shots a day at a
busy event. My Canon 1D Mark II body has around 100k shutter
actuations on it. I would like to avoid having the shutter fail in
the middle of an event, so I want to know what types of maintenance I
can have done to help stave off such a problem.

Does anyone here have any experience with what you get WRT extending
the shutter life when you have the camera serviced by Canon? Does a
regular service before the expected shutter failure point extend the
period before the shutter might fail? Does Canon offer any special
shutter refurbishing that would extend the life of the camera, and if
so can someone quote (estimate) the cost for this service? Does
anyone know what it costs to have the shutter repaired if it fails?

I would email these Q's to the Canon repair facility in Irvine ... I
*think* the MTBF on the 1D M II is either 150,000 or 200,000
actuations, but this is just the "mean". Typically the high speeds go
first, slowing down so you get overexposure, so maybe periodically
shoot test shots at 1/2,000th, 1/4,000th and 1/8,000th.

I'd guess replacing the shutter is only a few hundred dollars if you
want to replace one once the actuation # gets to a certain number, but
you can check with Irvine on this ...

If you're really worried about missing a key shoot then just bring two
bodies (that's what we have) and keep an eye on the histograms. That
way you won't miss many shots.

Bill

Old November 28th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SimonLW

"JC Dill" wrote in message
[...]

Suspicious. more than 10K per event? Your camera is used up in less than 15
events? What do you do, turn on the camera and hold the shutter button down
stopping only to change cards? How many batteries and cards do you have? Why
not get a high def video cam and shoot 30 fps?
Gimmie a break.

Old November 28th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
just bob

"JC Dill" wrote in message
I shoot sports events, sometimes taking more than 10k shots a day at a
busy event. My Canon 1D Mark II body has around 100k shutter
actuations on it. I would like to avoid having the shutter fail in
the middle of an event, so I want to know what types of maintenance I
can have done to help stave off such a problem.

Does anyone here have any experience with what you get WRT extending
the shutter life when you have the camera serviced by Canon? Does a
regular service before the expected shutter failure point extend the
period before the shutter might fail? Does Canon offer any special
shutter refurbishing that would extend the life of the camera, and if
so can someone quote (estimate) the cost for this service? Does
anyone know what it costs to have the shutter repaired if it fails?

Thanks!

If you are a pro you need to sign up for CPS, so you can get loaner gear
while you are awaiting repairs.

Canon USA Inc.
One Canon Place
Lake Success, NY 11042-1198
Attn: Canon Professional Services
(516) 328-4283 Phone
(516) 328-4809 Fax

Old November 28th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeremy

10K a day?!? No offence, but maybe you need to learn the art of
photography, or buy a video camera.

If you want to know how to overcome failure, get two or three bodies.

Old November 28th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Miller

Jeremy wrote:
10K a day?!? No offence, but maybe you need to learn the art of
photography, or buy a video camera.

If you want to know how to overcome failure, get two or three bodies.

I guess you have never shot a large triathlon or marathon and attempted
to get at least one shot of every participant (and in the case of the
triathlon, at least three shots of every participant, one shot for each
phase of the race).

Eric Miller

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity." - Robert J. Hanlon
Old November 28th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeremy

Is it possible to take a photo of every participant in a marathon?

More to the point, why would you want a photo of every participant in a
marathon. Maybe you need a video camera too?

Old November 28th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

SimonLW wrote:
Suspicious. more than 10K per event? Your camera is used up in less than 15
events? What do you do, turn on the camera and hold the shutter button down
stopping only to change cards? How many batteries and cards do you have? Why
not get a high def video cam and shoot 30 fps?
Gimmie a break.

Even at 8fps that's over 20 minutes of actual shooting time with the
shutter button down.
That guy must get some awesome pics! Of course, that doesn't leave
much time for details like framing and composition. And processing all
those RAW files must be a bitch.

Old November 29th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
just bob

"JC Dill" wrote in message

Does anyone know what it costs to have the shutter repaired if it fails?

In 2004 I dropped a 1D and Canon Factory Service in Irvine replaced the
shutter and mechanism, mirror, and sensor(!) for under $300.00 USD. The old
sensor had some grit on it which could not be removed even with endless
sensor swipes so when it arrived with a new sensor I nearly wet myself.

Last year after a long hot day of work the data wheel on the back stopped
responding and they charged me the same and this time I got a whole new back
on the camera, including LCD and everything. Very nice.

Unfortunately both times I had to send it right back because something minor
didn't work, but it was no charge.