Need advice

Old July 12th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Colin_D[_2_]

Default Need advice

Notorious* wrote:
tony cooper wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:42:49 -0400, Michael

On 2008-07-10 14:06:10 -0400, said:

What is the best way to make copies of hundreds of 35mm slides?

I have several hundred boxes of slides each with more than thirty
slides in it and would like to be able to make prints from them. I figure
that if I can get them into a digital format I can use any photo type printer.

Is there an easy way to do this or do I need to pay a professional?

Peter
Well, several hundred boxes of thirty means some multiple of 3000
images. I hope you plan to do only a selection, but if your numbers are
going to be high you'd best buy a Nikon dedicated film scanner.
Commercial scanning will be far more expensive than the $500 or so
you'll invest in the CoolScan, and you could always sell it back on
ebay when you are finished. It's still going to take you time, but if
you hand off even a few hundred slides for commercial scanning, the
cost is going to be up there.

That's a lotta time scanning, too. I did a few hundred, and it took
forever. The most economical solution is to buy a scanner, hire a
high school kid to do the scanning, and sell the scanner on eBay when
the project is complete.

I don't I can hire anyone, sure not a kid from my school, these are what
might be described as highly erotic. My old man died a few months back
in a car wreck and I have just been given all his stuff. In it is the
greatest collection of private porn I have ever heard of. All pretty
good quality, he was a cameraman for a local TV station and did all
their photo work too. He had his own lab. I have a totally new respect
for him. Wow!

It's all too good to waste, need to get it into a digital format and
then I can decide what I'll print.

I guess I'll have to buy a scanner. I tried doing some with a slide
copier on a DSLR but it is way too slow. Gave me a good idea of how good
the quality was though.

Peter

Don't think of going to a professional copy service, or any copy service
for that matter. They are bound to report to the police any porn images
they find, and you could find yourself in the slammer. The same goes
for computer repairs too. If a repair service finds porn on your
computer, you're a goner.

I am neutral where porn is concerned; if it's private and nobody knows,
fine. If somebody finds out, trouble.

Your only course of action is to scan them yourself, and keep it quiet.
You took a risk just by putting the info on this group.

As far as the law is concerned, possession is the thing. No matter
where the images came from, if you possess a copy, that's it if you are
caught.

Colin D.
Old July 12th 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 7/11/2008 4:04 PM Colin_D spake thus:

On 2008-07-10 14:06:10 -0400, said:

[...]

You're being unnecessarily alarmist: I know several services around here
(Bay Area) that would do such a job and not bat an eyelash. Not everyone
is an amateur porn patroller, though there are some and one would want
to avoid them.

If 'twere me, I'd just ask first.

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken
Old July 12th 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John[_16_]

Notorious* wrote:

Don't think of going to a professional copy service, or any copy
service for that matter. They are bound to report to the police any
porn images they find, and you could find yourself in the slammer.
The same goes for computer repairs too. If a repair service finds
porn on your computer, you're a goner.

You're being unnecessarily alarmist: I know several services around here
(Bay Area) that would do such a job and not bat an eyelash. Not everyone
is an amateur porn patroller, though there are some and one would want
to avoid them.

Maybe Notorious has something to really be afraid of.

Need advice Ken Hart[_3_] In The Darkroom 0 July 11th 08 01:26 AM
Need advice Paladino In The Darkroom 0 July 10th 08 11:51 PM
advice please matija Digital Photography 0 February 13th 06 04:28 PM
Need advice Jude Digital SLR Cameras 12 August 9th 05 05:29 AM
A bit of advice please? John Bartley In The Darkroom 3 November 1st 04 04:25 AM