[Dust] Blow job defeat

Old July 5th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default [Dust] Blow job defeat

For the first time since early 2005 I'll have to get my sensor (Maxxum
7D) 'wet cleaned' as my half dozen attempts with a blower simply won't
get a few stubborn specs off of the sensor.

Local camera store does it over a 3 day period (or 24 hours for a rush
premium).

There goes my long standing assertion about never needing a wet clean.

Probably I just let it go for far too long (last blower cleaning was
last summer) and some specs "welded" themselves to the sensor over time.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 5th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Nicholas

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 13:07:30 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

For the first time since early 2005 I'll have to get my sensor (Maxxum
7D) 'wet cleaned' as my half dozen attempts with a blower simply won't
get a few stubborn specs off of the sensor.

Local camera store does it over a 3 day period (or 24 hours for a rush
premium).

There goes my long standing assertion about never needing a wet clean.

Probably I just let it go for far too long (last blower cleaning was
last summer) and some specs "welded" themselves to the sensor over time.

Why don't you buy a wet cleaning kit, with Eclipse or whatever it's
called, and DIY ???

Old July 6th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Lewzeelastik

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
For the first time since early 2005 I'll have to get my sensor (Maxxum 7D)
'wet cleaned' as my half dozen attempts with a blower simply won't get a
few stubborn specs off of the sensor.

Local camera store does it over a 3 day period (or 24 hours for a rush
premium).

There goes my long standing assertion about never needing a wet clean.

Probably I just let it go for far too long (last blower cleaning was last
summer) and some specs "welded" themselves to the sensor over time.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

You should have bought an Olympus!!

Old July 6th 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

wrote:

For the first time since early 2005 I'll have to get my sensor (Maxxum
7D) 'wet cleaned' as my half dozen attempts with a blower simply won't
get a few stubborn specs off of the sensor.

Local camera store does it over a 3 day period (or 24 hours for a rush
premium).

There goes my long standing assertion about never needing a wet clean.

Probably I just let it go for far too long (last blower cleaning was
last summer) and some specs "welded" themselves to the sensor over time.

Why don't you buy a wet cleaning kit, with Eclipse or whatever it's
called, and DIY ???

It's an option. For now I'm getting ready for a trip and the same store
is ordering me a few bricks of 35mm and 120 film as well, so...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 6th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Lewzeelastik wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
For the first time since early 2005 I'll have to get my sensor (Maxxum 7D)
'wet cleaned' as my half dozen attempts with a blower simply won't get a
few stubborn specs off of the sensor.

Local camera store does it over a 3 day period (or 24 hours for a rush
premium).

There goes my long standing assertion about never needing a wet clean.

You should have bought an Olympus!!

er, no. I have wondered why, however the other co's haven't simply
bought the Oly technique under license.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 7th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Colin_D[_2_]

Alan Browne wrote:
Lewzeelastik wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
For the first time since early 2005 I'll have to get my sensor
(Maxxum 7D) 'wet cleaned' as my half dozen attempts with a blower
simply won't get a few stubborn specs off of the sensor.

Local camera store does it over a 3 day period (or 24 hours for a
rush premium).

There goes my long standing assertion about never needing a wet clean.

You should have bought an Olympus!!

er, no. I have wondered why, however the other co's haven't simply
bought the Oly technique under license.

The Canon 40D shakes the sensor at turn-on and again at turn-off,
programmable in the menu.

Colin D.
Old July 9th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Colin_D wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Lewzeelastik wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
For the first time since early 2005 I'll have to get my sensor
(Maxxum 7D) 'wet cleaned' as my half dozen attempts with a blower
simply won't get a few stubborn specs off of the sensor.

Local camera store does it over a 3 day period (or 24 hours for a
rush premium).

There goes my long standing assertion about never needing a wet clean.

You should have bought an Olympus!!

er, no. I have wondered why, however the other co's haven't simply
bought the Oly technique under license.

The Canon 40D shakes the sensor at turn-on and again at turn-off,
programmable in the menu.

I have my doubts as to whether it's as effective as the ultrasonic
method of the Oly. Still, certainly better than nothing. (I believe
the later Sony's do this as well, that is the "shake" method).

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 12th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 15:59:38 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alan
Browne wrote:

wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 14:20:14 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alan
Browne wrote:

Camera should be ready today.

I will check, though that's hard on the camera monitor even zoomed in.
I would think it wouldn't be too much to take uniformly illuminated
wall/sky photo stopped down as a jpg and have the store bring it up on some
monitor.

That's what I ended up doing. There remain a couple tiny spots. I left
a note for the 'technician'; didn't have time to dicker with it.

The store also supplied a CD with "before" and "after" test shots.
(Waste of money, IMO).

Yes, that's the problem. What is the mutually agreed upon standard for
cleaning? I also love people like you who talk about not having to clean
one's sensor for a long while, while never describing the conditions one's
camera sees. Exposure to dust is one criteria. However, in my experience
exposure to moisture is another. Does one ever expose the camera to an
environment where moisture might condense on the inside of the camera, or
on the sensor? I have found this to be a situation which many times leads
to instances requiring a wet cleaning. And I do use cameras and lenses
which are considered to be sealed in such environments, Nikon D200/D300 +
70-200 f/2.8 IF VR + others.

My problem here was waiting too long to dust out the sensor. In the
meantime the camera saw various cycles of temperature and humidity as
well many, many lens changes. Entirely my fault as I said in the first
post. However, had I checked at least every 3 months, I'm sure I would
not have had a problem. The natural range of humidity here is 40's to
80's with saturation peaks over the course of the year, though usually
drier in the winter. However, I don't believe there was ever condensing
humidity at the sensor. (When I come in from the cold I leave the
entire camera bag in a large plastic bag for a few hours).

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource:
http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm