I like Rineke Djikstra

Old August 4th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

Default I like Rineke Djikstra

Bandicoot wrote:

"Paul Heslop" wrote in message
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:

http://www.aspenartmuseum.org/images...20dijkstra.jpg
Tedious
Transcendent
Derivative
Delightful
Cold
Cool
Stupefying
Sublime
Boring
Beautiful

It seems the more I like something the less everyone else does. I think

it
is like a suit of clothes: the better it fits me the worse it fits

anyone
else. An old Army jacket will fit anyone; a bespoke Saville Row suit

will
fit only one.

Certainly so. If we all liked the same thing the world would be an
awful boring place.

If you believed that - which is true and you should believe it...

It's still crap though :O)

...why have you spent so much time trumpeting your own belief as an
absolute - which despite your half-hearted calims to the contrary is the
point of your endless repetition of a view expressed in terms that hardly
contribute to meaningful debate. I think football's crap, but I don't feel
the need to say so _repeatedly_ to every fool who thinks otherwise.

Peter

Because I have a sense of humour. And it IS crap.
--
Paul (Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs)
Stop and Look
Old August 4th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Paul Heslop wrote:

It's still crap though :O)

...why have you spent so much time trumpeting your own belief as an
absolute - which despite your half-hearted calims to the contrary is the
point of your endless repetition of a view expressed in terms that hardly
contribute to meaningful debate. I think football's crap, but I don't feel
the need to say so _repeatedly_ to every fool who thinks otherwise.

Peter

Because I have a sense of humour. And it IS crap.
--
Paul

Man. The more you say it's crap the more you show ignorance, stop it
for your own sake. This isn't even about taste, this is the classical
essence of art. It's indisputable that these pictures have a tremendous
amount of art. Not the "I'm 23 and I say I'm an artist so I do whatever
I want and what I call art is art", no, but the "I studied the content
of hundreds and hundreds of years of art over some decades of my life
and it was a deep and very, very disciplined studying".

Old August 4th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

wrote:

Paul Heslop wrote:

It's still crap though :O)

...why have you spent so much time trumpeting your own belief as an
absolute - which despite your half-hearted calims to the contrary is the
point of your endless repetition of a view expressed in terms that hardly
contribute to meaningful debate. I think football's crap, but I don't feel
the need to say so _repeatedly_ to every fool who thinks otherwise.

Peter

Because I have a sense of humour. And it IS crap.
--
Paul

Man. The more you say it's crap the more you show ignorance, stop it
for your own sake.

Oh good, I like being called ignorant, it just proves my point about
emperor's new clothes. Just because you think something is cool
doesn't mean I have to and in this case I most certainly don't. Now
you can call it art if you like, and you can say it is good in your
eyes, if you like, but don't assume that it will appear so in
everyone's eyes nor that those who don't see what you see should be
ignorant. In my eyes it is crap. It is soulless, pretentious, ugly,
and pretty much without worth, but that's all in MY eyes.

This isn't even about taste, this is the classical
essence of art.

Yup.
It's indisputable that these pictures have a tremendous
amount of art.

Like I said, I am told I should not say something isn't art, and
that's fine, but I also have the right to say it is awful and not
worth the kind of money nor attention being lavished on it.

Not the "I'm 23 and I say I'm an artist so I do whatever
I want and what I call art is art", no, but the "I studied the content
of hundreds and hundreds of years of art over some decades of my life
and it was a deep and very, very disciplined studying".

? Whose quote is that? I haven't 'studied' art at college, but I have
always enjoyed the stuff to the extent that I know what I like and
what I don't. There should NEVER be a case that because an elite says
something is good that everyone should agree. Much modern 'art' is
about upsetting people, be it because it is tasteless, talentless,
ugly, pornographic or whatever. Now I know that art should always
surprise and delight, and it can shock when it wants to and needs to,
but everyone has their own view on every single piece of art, and if
someone looks at my stuff and says it is talentless or whatever that's
their opinion and their welcome to it (and I'll often agree with them
too) and just so it is my freedom to choose that which I think is good
and that which I think is bilge, and this is bilge. Even if I agreed
that the form of the pictures or the lighting of the pictures has
something to it the rest leaves me cold, mainly because she seems hell
bent on showing her subjects as lifeless objects rather than
individuals. And i think that's my problem with this work summed up,
this isn't a series of pictures of people with lives and souls, it
could just as easily be a series of bored sheep.

Now, as my opinion obviously isn't worth a toss because I don't agree
with you we may as well leave it there.
Old August 4th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Bill

Paul Heslop wrote:
Bill K wrote:

Paul Heslop wrote:
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:

[...]

Also, one can put lipstick on a pig and call it Jennifer Lopez but it's
still a pig. But, at least it appeals to those who profess to march to
the beat of a different drummer.

--
Bill in Lake Charles

I'm not sure i could go for a lipsticked pig, but a pic of a different
drummer might be okay... Is this a different drummer?

http://www.drummer-cherry.com/title_22.gif

--
Paul (Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Naw. Looks pretty much like a run-of-the-mill drummer. Now, Ginger
Baker--that's the beat of a different drummer.
--
Bill in Lake Charles

Old August 4th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

Bill wrote:

Naw. Looks pretty much like a run-of-the-mill drummer. Now, Ginger
Baker--that's the beat of a different drummer.
--
Bill in Lake Charles

I really enjoyed the drumming on Chicago's 'I'm a Man' but I haven't a
clue who was the drummer.
Old August 4th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Lou Pecora

In article .com,
"Bill" wrote:

Naw. Looks pretty much like a run-of-the-mill drummer. Now, Ginger
Baker--that's the beat of a different drummer.
--
Bill in Lake Charles

Yep. See the recent Disraeli Gears DVD where Baker is compared (very
favorably) to the great jazz drummer Elvin Jones.

-- Lou Pecora (my views are my own) REMOVE THIS to email me.
Old August 4th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

Lou Pecora wrote:

In article .com,
"Bill" wrote:

Naw. Looks pretty much like a run-of-the-mill drummer. Now, Ginger
Baker--that's the beat of a different drummer.
--
Bill in Lake Charles

Yep. See the recent Disraeli Gears DVD where Baker is compared (very
favorably) to the great jazz drummer Elvin Jones.

-- Lou Pecora (my views are my own) REMOVE THIS to email me.

I'll take a look thanks
Old August 4th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Bill

Paul Heslop wrote:
Lou Pecora wrote:

In article .com,
"Bill" wrote:

Naw. Looks pretty much like a run-of-the-mill drummer. Now, Ginger
Baker--that's the beat of a different drummer.
--
Bill in Lake Charles

Yep. See the recent Disraeli Gears DVD where Baker is compared (very
favorably) to the great jazz drummer Elvin Jones.

-- Lou Pecora (my views are my own) REMOVE THIS to email me.

I'll take a look thanks
--
Paul (Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

That sounds like a must have DVD. Daniel Seraphine was on drums for
that Chicago song. Please don't ask how I remember that obscure piece
of trivia.

--
Bill in Lake Charles

Old August 4th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

Bill wrote:

Paul Heslop wrote:
Lou Pecora wrote:

In article .com,
"Bill" wrote:

Naw. Looks pretty much like a run-of-the-mill drummer. Now, Ginger
Baker--that's the beat of a different drummer.
--
Bill in Lake Charles

Yep. See the recent Disraeli Gears DVD where Baker is compared (very
favorably) to the great jazz drummer Elvin Jones.

-- Lou Pecora (my views are my own) REMOVE THIS to email me.

I'll take a look thanks
--
Paul (Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

That sounds like a must have DVD. Daniel Seraphine was on drums for
that Chicago song. Please don't ask how I remember that obscure piece
of trivia.

--
Bill in Lake Charles

Thanks to you too Bill. I am amazed sometimes that i can find out all
sorts of stuff on the web but little things I just never took the time
to learn I still just don't look up.