Photowalk

Old October 14th 12, 07:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

Default Photowalk

Well, the photowalk was worth it. The weather cooperated and the light
was pretty nice. There were 45 of us in Marblehead, MA (USA) who
prowled around the town getting strange looks from lots of "normal"
people. 45 camera geeks are hard to ignore. What sort of surprised me
was the conversation. There were all manner of gear on display from
P&S to heavy iron, but I didn't hear a single conversation about gear.
It was all about locations, light, and non-photo stuff. At the
Hurricane bar and grill we talked about almost nothing related to
gear, aside from the usual curiosity questions. If you missed it this
year, sign up next year. It's a good take.

And yes, I did send three shots in to the SI Dictator/Committee that
were taken yesterday. I traveled light and took only the GX1 and three
lenses: the 14-140, 7-14, and 8mm fisheye. That kit worked really
well.
Old October 14th 12, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012.10.14 14:22 , Bowser wrote:
Well, the photowalk was worth it. The weather cooperated and the light
was pretty nice. There were 45 of us in Marblehead, MA (USA) who
prowled around the town getting strange looks from lots of "normal"
people. 45 camera geeks are hard to ignore. What sort of surprised me
was the conversation. There were all manner of gear on display from
P&S to heavy iron, but I didn't hear a single conversation about gear.

Almost the same. There was a lot of Canon/Nikon gear out there, esp.
fast holy trinity lenses. One fellow was shooting video and stills with
a Sony high end camera rig. One fellow asked for help with his Nikon
800 (no idea why he assumed I could help). Helped him with his ISO
setting but no idea how to fix whatever was wrong with his monitor
setting that was giving him fits.

I was the only person shooting film and such with the Hasselblad, so
that made for some curiosity. As I finished a fellow asked me a
question about Hassleblad lenses (that I could only reply in part in his
case as I didn't recognize the model he cited). He was not with the
WWPW but with a camera club out on an unrelated outing.

Unfortunately I won't get the film back until Wed. noon at earliest -
and I doubt I'll be able to get there before Sat.

I also shot digital and decided to stick to a single lens, 135 f/1.8.

It was all about locations, light, and non-photo stuff. At the
Hurricane bar and grill we talked about almost nothing related to
gear, aside from the usual curiosity questions. If you missed it this
year, sign up next year. It's a good take.

I enjoyed it. I might organize one in a town north of Montreal next
year rather than do the Montreal one. (They had as many people on the
wait list as in the group. I think the organizer allowed the top 4 or 5
wait listees to come along in case there were cancellations).

And yes, I did send three shots in to the SI Dictator/Committee that
were taken yesterday. I traveled light and took only the GX1 and three
lenses: the 14-140, 7-14, and 8mm fisheye. That kit worked really
well.

I traveled heavy-ish but only changed lenses on the Hassy once. I think
I'll get some sort of rapid strap system for when I have 2 cameras.

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."

Old October 14th 12, 08:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

:
: And yes, I did send three shots in to the SI Dictator/Committee that
: were taken yesterday. I traveled light and took only the GX1 and three
: lenses: the 14-140, 7-14, and 8mm fisheye. That kit worked really
: well.

I'm glad to hear it! In the end, alas, I didn't go. (An opportunity missed,
since the weather couldn't have been better.) The conflicting activity that
was going to keep me away got postponed, but I was so exhausted after an
unusually grueling week that I couldn't face getting up early and going back
into town on Saturday.

Also, I started to wonder about wandering through downtown in a crowd. Most of
the good results I've had in urban environments have come from being able to
poke around alone at my own pace, with no one else to speed me up or slow me
down. In fact, one thought I had was, "Maybe I should have gone out to
Marblehead with that group that Bowser chose!" But with 45 participants
already, you surely didn't need any more.

I think what I looked forward to most was the conversation, since I seldom get
to talk in person with photographers who are better than I am. Location and
light sound like the right topics to me. I really will try to go next year.

Bob
Old October 14th 12, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Helen[_2_]

On Oct 14, 2:22*pm, Bowser wrote:
[...]

The end result, how do you compare the Micro Four Thirds to your Canon
DSLR?
Old October 14th 12, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012.10.14 15:15 , Robert Coe wrote:

Also, I started to wonder about wandering through downtown in a crowd. Most of
the good results I've had in urban environments have come from being able to
poke around alone at my own pace, with no one else to speed me up or slow me
down. In fact, one thought I had was, "Maybe I should have gone out to
Marblehead with that group that Bowser chose!" But with 45 participants
already, you surely didn't need any more.

The Montreal group sort of spread out. Many alone. Many in pairs or
3's. Some started in the market area, I headed across the canal and
finished in the market area.

I think what I looked forward to most was the conversation, since I seldom get
to talk in person with photographers who are better than I am. Location and
light sound like the right topics to me. I really will try to go next year.

There wasn't much talk about photography, actually. Or at least not
about gear (as Bowser said), or about technique. More about "there an
interesting _____ over there." "There's a hawk with prey over there."

Etc.

Old October 14th 12, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-10-14 12:23:25 -0700, tony cooper said:

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 15:11:04 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

[...]

There wasn't a Photo Walk anywhere near me, so I did a Solo Walk in
Sanford, Florida. Just so happened that there was a huge biker event
in downtown Sanford, so I got my three...and then some. I shot what I
saw, so my submissions to the SI might be a bit different.

I had not read about the event prior to going to Sanford. I had
planned to just walk down the main drag of the downtown area.

I did the "Solo Stroll" in San Luis Obispo, just looking for targets of
opportunity. Just used the D300S + 18-200mm. I carried the G11 but
didn't use it.
After the SI bunch are put up I will put up link to a DB folder of more
of my candidate shots.

Savageduck

Old October 14th 12, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012.10.14 15:23 , tony cooper wrote:

There wasn't a Photo Walk anywhere near me, so I did a Solo Walk in
Sanford, Florida.

http://worldwidephotowalk.com/walk/s...re-at-us-flag/
or http://tinyurl.com/9zemk2x

It had 40 openings (of 50) left.

If you were early enough you may have bumped into a few of them.

Old October 14th 12, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012.10.14 17:39 , Alan Browne wrote:
On 2012.10.14 15:23 , tony cooper wrote:

There wasn't a Photo Walk anywhere near me, so I did a Solo Walk in
Sanford, Florida.

http://worldwidephotowalk.com/walk/s...re-at-us-flag/

or http://tinyurl.com/9zemk2x

It had 40 openings (of 50) left.

If you were early enough you may have bumped into a few of them.

... sorry - late enough - they went in the evening.

Old October 15th 12, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 15:15:22 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

[...]

There was room. Definitely a worthwhile thing, but here's the deal: we
dont' need to wait a year. If you ever want to do a walk around
anyplace in eastern MA, let me know and I'm game.

And yes, face to face beats the living hell out of this method of
conversing.

Old October 15th 12, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 12:17:50 -0700 (PDT), Helen
wrote:

On Oct 14, 2:22*pm, Bowser wrote:
[...]

for 99% of what I shoot, no real difference. However, the IQ is not
quite as good as the 5D2. The noise is a little higher, and the
highlights can clip if you don't watch exposure. that said, I carry
the GX1 most of the time now. The light three lens kit is just a joy
to use. Unless you make huge enlargments you'll probably never see the
difference in prints.

What strikes me about the GX1 is the usability. The controls are
accessible and simple. You can get to most of the key features with a
single button push. The lenses are really nice, especially that 7-14.
The AF is contract detect, so it's always dead-on and it's very fast
in single shot mode, faster than the 5D2. Continous AF is not, and
this isn't a sports camera in any way, shape, or form.

My left shoulder thanks me every time I leave the anchor at home...