New Mandate! "On the road"

Old July 18th 12, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default New Mandate! "On the road"

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 18:38:02 -0400, PeterN
wrote:
: On 7/16/2012 1:01 AM, tony cooper wrote:
: On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 21:43:23 -0700 (PDT), otter
: wrote:
:
: On Jul 15, 1:53 pm, SI Committee
: wrote:
: The new mandate, selected from the May "request" is:
:
: On the Road.
:
: Whether "street", travel, or along your road to work, take
: advantage of the summer to capture the essential "Road" photo.
:
:
: I didn't take it, but here it is:
: http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...s/19campb.html
:
: Hmmm. When I see "On the Road", I think of Kerouac, not Leary. If
: the mandate was "Turn on, tune in, drop out", I'd think of Leary.
:
: Of course, "On the Road" was published in 1957 when I was in college,
: so the reference might be more meaningful to me. Leary came to
: prominence a decade or so later.
:
:
: Well Tony, The difference between road photography and street
: photography is ?
:
: However there is a difference between a road runner and a street walker.

Well, there's little difference between a road and a street, but considerable
difference between a runner (a longish, narrowish rug) and a walker (a device
to keep an old geezer upright, so that he won't trip and fall on a runner).

Note that we're gibbering like this because nobody seems to want to comment on
this month's (rather good) crop of Shoot-In pictures. Full disclosu I won't
either, probably. Martha and I are off on Thursday to spend the weekend with
our daughter and see their new house and dog. ("On the road", ya know.)

Bob
Old July 18th 12, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

wrote:
: On 7/16/2012 1:01 AM, tony cooper wrote:
: On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 21:43:23 -0700 (PDT), otter
: wrote:
:
: On Jul 15, 1:53 pm, SI Committee
: wrote:
[...]

Yes! I agree that this crop is generally pretty good.

But, I do disagree, I thought Walker was a Hall of Fame football player,
and runner a type of high speed boat used for smuggling booze during
prohibition.

--
Peter

Old July 18th 12, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-07-18 08:22:43 -0700, PeterN said:

On 7/17/2012 9:02 PM, Robert Coe wrote:

Note that we're gibbering like this because nobody seems to want to comment on
this month's (rather good) crop of Shoot-In pictures. Full disclosu I won't
either, probably. Martha and I are off on Thursday to spend the weekend with
our daughter and see their new house and dog. ("On the road", ya know.)

Yes! I agree that this crop is generally pretty good.

But, I do disagree, I thought Walker was a Hall of Fame football
player, and runner a type of high speed boat used for smuggling booze
during prohibition.

Chuck Norris would claim that Walker was a "Texas Ranger", others might
think horse, or astronaut. Others might think of Walker as being
contained in a bottle with a red, blue, black, or gold label.

The boat would be a "rum runner".

Savageduck

Old July 18th 12, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2012-07-18 08:22:43 -0700, PeterN said:

On 7/17/2012 9:02 PM, Robert Coe wrote:

Note that we're gibbering like this because nobody seems to want to
comment on
this month's (rather good) crop of Shoot-In pictures. Full
disclosu I won't
either, probably. Martha and I are off on Thursday to spend the
weekend with
our daughter and see their new house and dog. ("On the road", ya know.)

Yes! I agree that this crop is generally pretty good.

But, I do disagree, I thought Walker was a Hall of Fame football
player, and runner a type of high speed boat used for smuggling booze
during prohibition.

Chuck Norris would claim that Walker was a "Texas Ranger", others might
think horse, or astronaut. Others might think of Walker as being
contained in a bottle with a red, blue, black, or gold label.

The boat would be a "rum runner".

But rum wasn't the only booze it carried.

--
Peter

Old July 18th 12, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-07-18 08:22:43 -0700, PeterN said:

[...]

True, but "Canadian Whiskey Runner" just didn't trip off the tongue.

Savageduck

Old July 18th 12, 06:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
peternew

On 2012-07-18 08:22:43 -0700, PeterN
said:

[...]

IIRC The rum runners were powered with 2 12 cyl engines that developed
over 500 horse power, each. These were converted aircraft engines that
were purchased as WWI surplus.
Those boats were manufactured by the same company that made them for the
Coast Guard. The civilian version was just a tad faster.

--
Peter