[SI] Runoff vote for next mandate

Old May 6th 12, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default knode default behaviour and a whingeing duck.

On 2012-05-06 06:51:11 -0700, said:

Savageduck escribió:

BTW Pablo: It is also poor form to add a changed "Followup-To" header,
when the subject is "On Topic" for all the groups to which it is
X-posted. Particularly a subject which has been responded to from each
of those photo-groups. It is presumptive of you to make such an
arbitrary move.

http://fixunix.com/kde/92569-knode-follow-ups.html

As one of the respondents in that forum stated:
"The program should not choose anything, it should keep it's fingers off the
follow-ups.
Instead of good netiquette, it's just irritant behavior and sometimes you
get flamed for it."

....and it has led us to this discussion.

http://www.spinics.net/linux/fedora/.../msg01666.html

More of the same.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-qt-kd.../msg00191.html

Further confirmation that KNode is not a well crafted piece of
software, and since it is a problem others have been aware of, and have
reported since 2001, it is apparent the authors are not going to do
anything to fix it.

It seems the time might have come to seek out a new client for your
particular OS..

Savageduck

Old May 6th 12, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Pablo

Savageduck escribió:

It seems the time might have come to seek out a new client for your
particular OS..

As this has now gone wildly off topic, I assume you aren't going to complain
about followups in this post?

I have tried various newsreaders and ended up with knode. I can see why some
might find this default behaviour a problem. I don't normally get involved
in cross-posting, so am not massively concerned. I hadn't even noticed this
thread was cross-posted. I think that the version of knode that I'm using is
a fork, so every time I search for help, it refers to another version
branch.

I'm thinking of "upgrading" from lucid to maverick (after doing a full
backup - am half way through a translation that's due in on Tuesday), so
we'll se what version of knode I end up with.

--
Pablo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/
http://paulc.es/piso/index.php
Old May 6th 12, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default [SI] Runoff vote for next mandate

On 2012-05-06 05:19:51 -0700, said:

Looking back to try and find out what the hell you are talking about, it
seems that my newsreader automatically sets followups to whatever group
I'm reading at the time.

So you have no idea how your Usenet client, KNode 4.4.8 works?

I have some issues with it, but overall it's ok. It snips sigs, replies at
the bottom, complains about long lines etc. Apparently, out of the box it
does something that you don't like. That makes me an idiot, obviously.

Obviously.

Not something I've consciously done.

Then I guess I should apologize for implying that you might be a
conscious and deliberate disruptive ass. There are some character
traits you just don't notice when you are that close to them.

You are a bit silly. I can't believe that we still have netkops. I thought
they died out in the 90s.

There are times something must be said.

Noone has
mentioned it before.

I have now.

Do you have a killfile?

Yes.

Perhaps you should take it up with the kde people.

Why? I don't use KNode 4.4.8, you do.

But you're the one with the problem.

No, you are the one with the buggy usenet client causing an issue
within a cross group discussion.

Oh, you're just showing off that you
know how to read usenet headers.

It is an old trick.

You're very clever.

So you noticed.

If it offends enough people, I'll consider investigating how to change
the program's behaviour.

Good idea.

But until then...

followups bodged back for your benefit

Much appreciated.

...that was a one-off. Continuing now to be "disruptive by default".

Now that I am aware of your particular condition, I will take that into
account if I am moved to respond to your "Pablo" or "
nom de guerre in the future.

BTW; Were you actually considering participating in the SI?
Since you have a camera and actually use it without fear of an
occasional comment, as evidenced by your Flickr account, you might as
well join the rest of us lazy crappy photographers in our attempt to
challenge ourselves a bit.

Savageduck

Old May 6th 12, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-05-06 07:31:35 -0700, Pablo said:

Savageduck escribió:

It seems the time might have come to seek out a new client for your
particular OS..

As this has now gone wildly off topic, I assume you aren't going to complain
about followups in this post?

That seems to be the nature of many discussions in these photo groups.

I have tried various newsreaders and ended up with knode. I can see why some
might find this default behaviour a problem. I don't normally get involved
in cross-posting, so am not massively concerned. I hadn't even noticed this
thread was cross-posted. I think that the version of knode that I'm using is
a fork, so every time I search for help, it refers to another version
branch.

I'm thinking of "upgrading" from lucid to maverick (after doing a full
backup - am half way through a translation that's due in on Tuesday), so
we'll se what version of knode I end up with.

Enjoy. The experiment continues.

BTW: I don't whinge. I might bitch and moan, and at times be
curmudgeonly, but in this case I have just illuminated an issue with a
piece of buggy software which is effecting a community.

Savageduck

Old May 6th 12, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Pablo

Savageduck escribió:

Now that I am aware of your particular condition, I will take that into
account if I am moved to respond to your "Pablo" or "
nom de guerre in the future.

I believe that is a standard usenet anon/antispam email address. And the
Spanish version of my name came from my default usenet id at the time of
subscribing. Can't be arsed to change it. Curiously, it's the name I post
under in the English language groups, for the same reason.

BTW; Were you actually considering participating in the SI?
Since you have a camera and actually use it without fear of an
occasional comment, as evidenced by your Flickr account, you might as
well join the rest of us lazy crappy photographers in our attempt to
challenge ourselves a bit.

Ha ha. Have you seen my photos? The butt of many a joke. Also, I don't
actually know what the SI is.

Old May 6th 12, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-05-06 08:09:54 -0700, Pablo said:

Savageduck escribió:

Now that I am aware of your particular condition, I will take that into
account if I am moved to respond to your "Pablo" or "
nom de guerre in the future.

I believe that is a standard usenet anon/antispam email address. And the
Spanish version of my name came from my default usenet id at the time of
subscribing. Can't be arsed to change it. Curiously, it's the name I post
under in the English language groups, for the same reason.

OK! Paul. I guess you are an expat Brit, or some other anglo type doing
the Spain thing. I have some old English friends who have been running
a restaurant in Caseres for the last 25 years. There are a few others I
know living in and about Malaga. Some sane, some quite crazy.

BTW; Were you actually considering participating in the SI?
Since you have a camera and actually use it without fear of an
occasional comment, as evidenced by your Flickr account, you might as
well join the rest of us lazy crappy photographers in our attempt to
challenge ourselves a bit.

Ha ha. Have you seen my photos? The butt of many a joke. Also, I don't
actually know what the SI is.

....and here you were making comments on the SI mandates from a position
of ignorance.

SI = Shoot-In

Here are the somewhat loose rulz:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

and the last SI gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_a
along with some of our laughable efforts from the past:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/root

You will have nothing to loose by submitting a shot or three.

Savageduck

Old May 6th 12, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Pablo

Savageduck escribió:

SI = Shoot-In

Here are the somewhat loose rulz:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

Bookmarked. Will try to find time to participate.

You will have nothing to loose by submitting a shot or three.

Must get the imagination into gear.

Heh. Cleared the followups box and got:

"You are crossposting to more than two newsgroups.
Please use the "Followup-To" header to direct the replies to your article
into one group.
Do you want to re-edit the article or send it anyway?"

Old May 6th 12, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-05-06 08:51:49 -0700, Pablo said:

Savageduck escribió:

SI = Shoot-In

Here are the somewhat loose rulz:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

Bookmarked. Will try to find time to participate.

You will have nothing to loose by submitting a shot or three.

Must get the imagination into gear.

Heh. Cleared the followups box and got:

"You are crossposting to more than two newsgroups.
Please use the "Followup-To" header to direct the replies to your article
into one group.
Do you want to re-edit the article or send it anyway?"

It seems that KNode is doing its best to control you and effect its
agenda on the usenet.

Savageduck

Old May 6th 12, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

On 5/5/2012 7:29 PM, Savageduck wrote:
SNIP

I also feel that piggy-backing on an other's comments is just shear
laziness and poor form. Responding to comments is also a welcome part of
the dialog which has been missing recently.

I admit to being lazy. However, there are times when I will add to, or
amplify a comment. I also tend not to comment on an image that doesn't
move me.

--
Peter
Old May 6th 12, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
sid

Savageduck wrote:

Heh. Cleared the followups box and got:

"You are crossposting to more than two newsgroups.
Please use the "Followup-To" header to direct the replies to your article
into one group.
Do you want to re-edit the article or send it anyway?"

It seems that KNode is doing its best to control you and effect its
agenda on the usenet.

I think you'll find it's doing its best to let you know you are about to do
something traditionally frowned upon among the denizens of usenet.

jus' sayin'

--
sid
RLU 300284