[SI] Pairs comments - Alan B.

Old August 9th 12, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Pairs comments - Alan B.

On 2012-08-09 14:28:53 -0700, Eric Stevens said:

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 08:55:25 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Perhaps. However, It would be foolish to discount the importance
comments play in the dialog that is the SI, from meeting the challenge
of the mandate, to reacting to each of the images. While that reaction
can certainly be cloaked in a personal silence, I believe that
eliminating comments would damage the SI beyond repair.

It's rather like insisting that those who visit a gallery not talk
about the exhibits.

I expect there are contributors to [SI] who don't care whether their
entry is commented on or not. I doubt there a contributors who become
upset if they receive comments of any kind.

[SI] is a public place and if you really can't tolerate your work
receiving comments, then don't submit your work.

This is no big deal. It's probably happening already.

You must have missed my concession post. I am done bitching about my
position on this subject.

Write comments if you feel like it, do whatever you care to. Just go
out and shoot, and submit your entries to the SI.

What I have decided to do for the up coming SI, is to restrain myself
from being the first out of the box with comments. I believe I will
wait and see what materializes this time before expending the time &
effort.

Savageduck

Old August 10th 12, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Charles E. Hardwidge[_2_]

"tony cooper" wrote in message

What I have decided to do for the up coming SI, is to restrain myself
from being the first out of the box with comments.

Self cropping, Tony? Wow. Hardcore.

--
Charles E. Hardwidge

Old August 10th 12, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank S

wrote:

[...]

It's usually one of the two of us. I may hold back until you post
your comments. Probably not, though. I try to write my comments
before reading the comments of others. I don't want to be influenced
by other opinions.

I'm going to comment first, if I remember to. I hate to have my behavior
determined by the behavior of others.

--
Frank ess

Old August 10th 12, 12:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I will probably still compose my comments as I usually do after the
images are up, so they should be ready at the usual time, but I will
probably hold off on pulling the "post trigger" until later.

I promise there will not be any "As Tony said....", or "I completely
agree with what PeterN said..." type remarks.
I might just cherry pick from the images I feel should be commented on.

....or I might take a commentary vacation.

Savageduck

Old August 10th 12, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 19:04:09 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:
: On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 15:52:10 -0700, Savageduck
: wrote:
:
:
: wrote:
:
[...]

I sort of feel the same way, and there were a few months a couple of years ago
when I went out of my way to be first. (Like staying up most of the night,
even though I take a 6:00 AM train to work.) More recently, I simply haven't
had the time to do that, but maybe I will again in the future.

But all that aside, I can tell you that Martha and I eagerly look forward to
two events: when the pictures are posted and when the comments start coming
out. I don't imagine that we're alone in that attitude.

Bob
Old August 10th 12, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 16:53:45 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:
: I will probably still compose my comments as I usually do after the
: images are up, so they should be ready at the usual time, but I will
: probably hold off on pulling the "post trigger" until later.
:
: I promise there will not be any "As Tony said....", or "I completely
: agree with what PeterN said..." type remarks.

I won't make that promise. Such a comment, if it's truthful and well thought
out, is just as valid as "I don't agree with the Duck (or Tony or Frank or
Peter or whoever) on this one." It's good, of course, to say *why* you agree
and to add evidence to the opinion if you can.

: I might just cherry pick from the images I feel should be commented on.

A perfectly valid approach.

: ...or I might take a commentary vacation.

If you must, but that would be a loss for the rest of us.

Bob