Canon A720, Any good? anyhting better in price range?

Old March 16th 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Martin Riddle

Default Canon A720, Any good? anyhting better in price range?

I see good reviews on this camera, with some complaints about noise and the clock battery.
Should I steer clear? I'm just looking for a good performer nothing special, I normally use film.

Cheers

Old March 17th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
homepc

I just purchased a Canon A720IS but have not used it yet. I have read that
there is a longer than average wait time between photos. I paid $188
Canadian for it on sale in Canada, but it's even cheaper in the US.

I have a question about memory media for this camera. I bought a Dane-Elec
2GB SD Memory card for this camera online for $14.95 CDN and am waiting for
it to arrive. I've read a few complaints about this card not working
properly with a card reader to USB2 or with the camera itself. Has anyone
any experience with using this model of memory card?

Old March 18th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Dudley Hanks

"Martin Riddle" wrote in message
I see good reviews on this camera, with some complaints about noise and the
clock battery.
Should I steer clear? I'm just looking for a good performer nothing
special, I normally use film.

Cheers

I use (and love) an A720.

If you want to compare the image quality to a Canon EOS-1D Mark III or the
Nikon D3, then it's a bit noisy at ISO 400 (maybe even 200). But, if you
compare it to other point-and-shoots in its price range, you'll have a tough
time finding a better deal.

You can easily get 8 x 10 prints up to ISO 400, and 5 x 7 up to ISO 800.
(As long as you aren't going to submit to a gallery's call for submissions.)

So far, I've found the electronics to be stable, build quality quite sturdy,
lens characteristics surprisingly good, and features varied enough to keep
me from missing my old film SLRs too much.

Good Luck,
Dudley

Old March 18th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Dudley Hanks

I don't have that particular card, but I did have problems with a 4Gig card.
I did a bit of research, and I found out that, whatever card you put into
the camera, you should format it first in the camra before shooting
pictures.

I've done that with cards subsequent to the one I had trouble with, and
everything has worked fine since.

Good Luck,
Dudley