Camera sensors

Old May 7th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.misc,uk.rec.photo.misc
[email protected]

Default Camera sensors

I noticed that there are only limited sensor manufacturers for digital
cameras. For the known brands such as Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Panasonic/
Lumix, they are basically supplied by 4 companies: Canon (for Canon
cameras), Matsu****a/National/Panasonic for Panasonic brands, Fuji for
Fuji cameras and Sony (for others including Nikon, Sony, Pentax and
Samsung).
I am surprised that Nikon is using Sony's sensor in all of their DSLR
(except for Nikon D1 and D2H, which is manufactured by Nikon).
I wonder whether all of the sensors made by these four suppliers are
generally the same (Just like coke or pepsi)? Any superiority among
the others in term of their function? Has any of the manufacturers
made better or known to supply better sensor type than the others
(i.e. CMOS vs CCD?). I also noticed tha Sigma DSLR's sensor is made by
Feveon. What sensors are in Kodak cameras?

Old May 7th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.misc,uk.rec.photo.misc
Charles[_2_]

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

First, Foveon:
http://www.digitaldingus.com/news/20...lectronics.php

Second, it does not much matter from a consumer point of view.

Third, quality is a hop-scotch game. Tune in and be amazed at the changes.

Fourth, it is the whole camera (like a car ... not too often that the
transmission makes a huge difference).

Old May 7th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.misc,uk.rec.photo.misc
ray

On Sun, 06 May 2007 19:32:08 -0400, Charles wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

That's true, but you certainly don't want to buy a car which is known to
have transmission problems. And I certainly hesitate to buy the first year
model when a manufacturer changes technology significantly - e.g. last
year when Dodge came out with Caliber - CVT.

Old May 7th 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.misc,uk.rec.photo.misc

wrote:
[...]

CCD and CMOS sensors are pretty mature technology. All good
digital cameras, from small sensor P&S to large sensor DSLRs
have noise dominated by photons noise (Poisson statistics),
and as a result the major performance difference between
sensors is due to the size of each pixel.

See:
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...ensor_analysis

(Kodak makes sensor too.)

Roger
Old May 7th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.misc,uk.rec.photo.misc
Ron Baird

Greetings Animarac,

Actually, Kodak makes their own sensors. We also make them for some other
camera manufacturers. You can review details on Kodak sensors, which are
pretty good. You will enjoy the read.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/dpq/site/...S/name/ISSHome

Talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

ups.com...

Old May 7th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.misc,uk.rec.photo.misc
Charles[_2_]

That's true, but you certainly don't want to buy a car which is known to
have transmission problems. And I certainly hesitate to buy the first year
model when a manufacturer changes technology significantly - e.g. last
year when Dodge came out with Caliber - CVT.

Please cite a recent example in digital photography.

Old May 7th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.misc,uk.rec.photo.misc
Trev

"Charles" wrote in message

That's true, but you certainly don't want to buy a car which is known to
have transmission problems. And I certainly hesitate to buy the first
year
model when a manufacturer changes technology significantly - e.g. last
year when Dodge came out with Caliber - CVT.

Please cite a recent example in digital photography.

My Minolta phi has just had its sensor replaced free of charge because Sony
made a lot of 5mp sensors for just about every manufacture cept Fuji that
have developed a failure. Its old hat now but it was a good indication of
many manufactures use the same sensor.

Old May 7th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.misc,uk.rec.photo.misc
Rich

On May 6, 7:32 pm, "Charles" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Nothing radical is likely to happen. Sensor physics has been static
for ages. The only thing they've improved on is how fast they can get
the data out and how well they can process it.

Old May 7th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.misc,uk.rec.photo.misc
Rich

On May 6, 11:44 pm, "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)"
[...]

Kodak is fascinating. They make some of the finest high-end sensors
for scientific and medium format cameras,
they also make cheapo CMOS sensors for cell phones and low end P&S
cameras. But they threw in the towel and watched the DSLR market
become the most lucrative in photography. What a group of losers.

Roger

Camera sensors [email protected] Digital Photography 12 May 10th 07 03:50 AM
Bad SSD sensors Big John Digital Photography 13 December 30th 06 04:49 AM
Sensors Conrad Digital Photography 9 December 4th 06 06:11 PM
Sensors measekite Digital Photography 49 September 29th 06 09:15 PM
Framed and Exposed: Making Sense of Camera Sensors Frank ess Digital Photography 0 July 7th 04 05:18 AM