Need help purchasing equipment

Old November 16th 04, 06:48 PM
lisa miller

Default Need help purchasing equipment

Need help purchasing equipment

My sister is making a trip to Asia -India etc.

She would like to buy - (a middle of the range type - not too
expensive)

1. A Mini DV camcorder
around $250 to $350 or so

2. A digital camera
around $200 to $300

She does not know what features she should be looking for in each
product ? Like mega pixels, memory stotage, zoom etc.etc.

She is so confused with all the variables.

Could any knowledgeable person pls let me know what the most important
features that she should be looking for.

She is not an expert photographer so she does no need anything very
fancy..just good video and pictures.

Would any one have any suggestions ? Also let me know brands, approx
prices etc.

To use it in Asia...does one have to buy a power converter from 110 V
to 220V ?
or do these products work on all these voltages ?

Thanks in advance,
Lisa
Old November 16th 04, 11:08 PM
J.S.Pitanga

[Lisa:]
Need help purchasing equipment
My sister is making a trip to Asia -India etc.
[...]

You can find a "Digital Camera Advisor" at
http://www.myproductadvisor.com/mpa/...nputSummary.do

My own suggestion for the user profile of your sister would be a Konica
Minolta Dimage Z10, with its 3.2 megapixels, 8x optical zoom, AA
batteries, a pretty good image quality, and plenty of features in exchange
for a more than attractive price.

As to memory storage, internet cafés in most touristic places in India can
burn for cheap a CD out of a memory card, thus leaving the latter free to
take more photos. Anyway, one or more big capacity memory cards (256MB or
more) are advisable.

Voltage in India is 220V (see also
http://www.world-of-islands.com/Info...voltage_en.htm for voltages
and plugs). If the equipment is 110V, one definitely needs a converter.
Powercuts are frequent in some places there, whereby a fast battery
recharger may prove convenient.

J.S.Pitanga
Old November 17th 04, 09:16 PM
Don Wiss

On 16 Nov 2004 09:48:12 -0800, (lisa miller) wrote:

To use it in Asia...does one have to buy a power converter from 110 V
to 220V ?
or do these products work on all these voltages ?

Power converters weigh a lot. You should get a universal charger if you
can. Nikon now ships such with their cameras. They are very lightweight and
with the right plug adapter will work anywhere in the world. Here's one,
but only for AA size batteries:
http://thomas-distributing.com/maha-...ry-charger.htm

The problem is they come with unnecessary 7' power cords. I then cut them
down. The first one I made 18". Then next one I do (for the Nikon charger)
will be only 12" or less. This picture is the first of three showing my
splicing: http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/rpd/h0009.htm

As for the plug type look at this chart: http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

Don donwiss at panix.com.