Canon PowerShot A80 or Konica Minolta Dimage G500?

Old August 3rd 04, 10:23 AM
chris French

Default Canon PowerShot A80 or Konica Minolta Dimage G500?

In message , JanH.
writes
"Jake Maxwell" schreef in bericht
ink.net...
"JanH." wrote:
I've got a Canon A80.
I like the photo quality. I love the rotatable LCD screen.
I dislike: LCD screen too small; shutter release annoyingly slow; no

extra
flash socket (so very "flat" flash photos).

How is the battery life and size of the camera?

Jake:

I don't know how long the 4 AA-size batteries last because I immediately
replaced them with rechargeable NiMH batteries. No problems there. Add their
costs + recharger to your budget!

Compared to my previous Olympus the batteries last ages - some 100's of
images I guess (NiMH) - presumably because of the 4xAA's

As for the size of the Canon A80: the 4-AA-batteries holder makes the camera
bulkier than digital cameras with a proprietary rechargeable battery, which
are usually more slender. However, the battery "bulge" gives the camera a
good grip.

I like the size and shape of the A80. but it's not a camera for a shirt
pocket, though ti will fit in a trouser pocket. Depends on what you want
really.

Especially the slow
shutter release needs your evaluation: it is so slow that my photo subjects
either suffer from facial cramp (humans) or have already disappeared
(animals).

I don't find the shutter release any worse than many other similar
digital cameras - pre focussing works well though if you have the time.
--
Chris French

Old August 3rd 04, 04:11 PM
Kimberlee

I don't know about the Minolta, but Canon has firmware updates available on
their websites.
This corrected a few issues with the S1.
I would definitely go for Canon. I've owned the Dimage Z1 and although I
was generally happy with the camera, now that I own a Canon, I much prefer
the Canon.
~Kimberlee

"JanH." wrote in message
"Jake Maxwell" schreef in bericht
nk.net...
"JanH." wrote:
I've got a Canon A80.
I like the photo quality. I love the rotatable LCD screen.
I dislike: LCD screen too small; shutter release annoyingly slow; no

extra
flash socket (so very "flat" flash photos).

How is the battery life and size of the camera?

Thanks,
Jake

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jake:

I don't know how long the 4 AA-size batteries last because I immediately
replaced them with rechargeable NiMH batteries. No problems there. Add

their
costs + recharger to your budget!

As for the size of the Canon A80: the 4-AA-batteries holder makes the

camera
bulkier than digital cameras with a proprietary rechargeable battery,

which
are usually more slender. However, the battery "bulge" gives the camera a
good grip. And you can buy AA batteries all over the globe!

You really should get your hands on one before buying. Especially the slow
shutter release needs your evaluation: it is so slow that my photo

subjects
either suffer from facial cramp (humans) or have already disappeared
(animals).

Regards, JanH.

Old August 3rd 04, 04:28 PM
Steven Scharf

"Jake Maxwell" wrote in message ink.net...
I have narrowed it down to either a Canon PowerShot A80 or a Konica Minolta
Dimage G500.

My primary concerns are image quality and the size of the camera. I don't
care about having large (5x7) images. What I am concerned about is having
the best possible looking 3x5 or 5x7 size photo. One that looks very crisp.

With my preferences, which would be the better camera for $300?

The G500 lacks an AF assist lamp, which essentially eliminates it from
consideration if you're ever going to be using it in low light.

The downside of the A80 is that it lacks a Li-Ion rechargeable
battery. One upside of the A80 is Compact Flash, versus SD and Memory
Stick on the G500.

For $300, the A80 is your best choice.
For $411, the S60 is awesome.

See http://digitalcamerashortlist.com

Steve

Old August 3rd 04, 06:53 PM
chris French

In message , Steven
Scharf writes

The downside of the A80 is that it lacks a Li-Ion rechargeable
battery.

For me that was an upside :-)

--
Chris French