Lens suggestions: Tamron, Canon, Sigma, Tokina?

Old November 17th 04, 12:00 AM
Douglas MacDonald

Voice Only wrote:
I'm hoping that someone can shed some light (hmm) on this for me.

I'm in the market for both a wide-zoom of roughly 24-70mm f/2.8 and a longer
zoom of 70-200mm f2.8. My camera is a Canon 10d.

Obviously Canon makes the lens' I'm looking for, but at a very steep price
tag for each (aka $1000US).

Are the lenses made by Canon that much more superior than the "pro" line of
lenses by say Tamron, Sigma, or others? Do these lesser expensive lenses
stack up to the Canon, or should I just save up for the Canon?

Any insights, actual comparisons would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks,
VO

I recently sold a 70~200 2.8 Canon lens (non IS) with my 10D. I replaced
it with a Sigma 100~300 f4.0 lens. I had always used the Canon lens with
a 1.4X multiplier which effectively reduced it's aperture to f4.0 anyway.

The only difference I can detect is the Canon focus motor is quieter and
a trifle faster than the Sigma's. Otherwise... Both of these lenses
produce identical quality images. Both have identical flaws in how they
resolve.

For my money, the Sigma is definitely better value than the Canon. The
flaws are not resolving detail in highlight and shadow of images shot at
high ISO. Either the cameras (10D and 20D) both have this identical
flaws or the lenses do. Right now my guess is stray light bouncing
around inside the lens but time will tell.

I also sold a 28~70 f2.8 Sigma lens and replaced it with the 20D 'kit'
lens. The kit lens is OK for most of the time but it is not as good as
the Sigma was. I intend in the next day or so to buy a medium zoom. I
may even buy another Sigma. It was a mistake to have sold it. I hope
this helps you decide.

Douglas
Old November 17th 04, 01:44 AM
JC Dill

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:01:48 GMT, YAG-ART wrote:

The D1 is an older Nikon body, the 20D is a Canon body, and the D2 is
Nikon line.

Sorry, I typo'd, I meant 1D and 2D.

jc

Old November 17th 04, 04:40 AM
YAG-ART

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:44:02 GMT, JC Dill wrote:

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:01:48 GMT, YAG-ART wrote:

The D1 is an older Nikon body, the 20D is a Canon body, and the D2 is
Nikon line.

Sorry, I typo'd, I meant 1D and 2D.

You can find used 1D's for a reasonable price, mainly from those that
upgraded to the 1DMark2
Old November 17th 04, 06:05 AM
John Francis

YAG-ART wrote:
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:44:02 GMT, JC Dill wrote:

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:01:48 GMT, YAG-ART wrote:

The D1 is an older Nikon body, the 20D is a Canon body, and the D2 is
Nikon line.

Sorry, I typo'd, I meant 1D and 2D.

You can find used 1D's for a reasonable price, mainly from those that
upgraded to the 1DMark2

That rather depends on your definition of "reasonable" ...

Old November 17th 04, 10:51 AM
Colm

"Nunnya Bizniss" wrote in message
.131...
"Robert" wrote in news:q0cmd.35592$V41.31572@attbi_s52:

I am finding out that all lenses are good, but some are better, cost
wise? most shots will not show up the defaults of the lower cost
lenses, only if blown up to 10x there is a difference, pros look at
this. 95% of the lower cost DSLRs users are not pros.

Agreed, to a point. Years ago when shooting with a Nikon F4 I was saddled
with a couple of Sigma zooms that providied me with some of the worst
optical quality I had seen since the original Minolta Maxxum optics. Got
rid of them and went with the real thing (Nikon)-Problems solved.

Currently I am shooting with a Canon 10D - My first foray into serious
digital shooting and I started with a 15-30mm f4 Sigma zoom. In a

nutshell?
100% CRAP. Lens flare from hell at night, and a filter adapter that at the
15mm setting created a beautiful vignette affect.

I also had a Canon 70-300 zoom (Non-L series) that proved to be seriously
lacking in detail and contrast. I brought both back to the shop I got them
from, and got the Canon L 17-40 f4 and havent looked back since. Next
purchase will be a used L 200 f 2.8 from a friend of mine. I will no

longer
look at Sigma and will be hard pressed to look at the other brands.

You call that agreeing?!?

--
Colm

Old November 17th 04, 01:01 PM
Nunnya Bizniss

"Colm" wrote in :

You call that agreeing?!?

Oops. My bad....Wasnt paying attention.
Old November 17th 04, 10:23 PM
Hils

Anyone looking at a 70-200 2.8 is someone who is prepared to
carry around a lot of heavy glass worth a lot of money. I assume that
they have some idea why it's worth doing!

Other things being equal, the 70-200/2.8/IS will get shots which an f/4
or non-IS won't. The more you want these extra shots, the better value-
for-money the lens will seem!

--
Hil
Old November 18th 04, 06:41 AM
jean

Read all the replies and you will see all the people who own Canon lenses
(or Nikon) will say their lenses perform very well. With the others, it is
either a love or hate relationship with more people hating them than loving
them. I tried a Sigma 28mm f1,8 and a Tamron 28-80 f2,8. The Sigma was
utter garbage and I am so glad it was damaged in a flood, I got full
replacement price instead of selling it for peanuts. The Tamron was better,
but not as good as a Canon lens. In retrospect, I could have kept that one
but I did not want to take a chance after being burned by the Sigma so I
returned it before the grace period was over and got a Canon 24-70 f2,8L.

Jean

Old November 22nd 04, 06:51 PM
Michael Benveniste

"Hils" wrote:
Other things being equal, the 70-200/2.8/IS will get shots which an f/4
or non-IS won't. The more you want these extra shots, the better value-
for-money the lens will seem!

OTOH, if you leave the 70-200 f/2.8 at home at due to bulk, or you are
unwilling to scramble over rough terrain with the extra weight, you'll
end up losing shots versus a smaller, lighter option. Subject intimidation
can also cost you portrait shots. And that's before taking cost into
account.

Over the last 20 years, I've owned two different 80-200 f/2.8 lenses.
Each was, and is, a fine tool capable of putting together shot
sequences none of my other lenses can match. But more often than
not, an 80-200 f/2.8 is my second or even third choice for any given
task.

--
Michael Benveniste --