New type batteries for the future?

Old October 26th 05, 05:40 AM
Cathy

Default New type batteries for the future?

I thought maybe some of you battery fans might be interested in the
article below which was on CityTV Toronto today on a local news website.

Cathy

"October 25, 2005,

Canon is working on a new way to power high-tech devices that could
spell the end of traditional batteries.

The Japanese company has developed small fuel cells for use in some of
its digital cameras and computer printers - it hopes to have the
technology ready for the market in three years.

Toshiba, NEC and Hitachi are also working on similar fuel cell batteries
for the next wave of consumer electronics - which could be used in
mobile devices, phones, and laptop computers.

Fuel-cell technology combines hydrogen and oxygen to generate
electricity, and is seen as a likely replacement for today's models of
lithium-ion batteries.

Canon is one of the globe's top manufacturers of photocopiers and
cameras - it's looking for new areas of growth as the digital camera
market begins to cool down.

While most current fuel cell development employs devices that take
hydrogen from methanol, Canon wants to be able to supply hydrogen
directly from a refillable cartridge.

The company argues the system would be more earth-friendly, since
deriving hydrogen from methanol gives off a byproduct of carbon dioxide.
Hydrogen-only fuel cells don't.

There are three prototypes so far, of different sizes - the largest
would likely be used in a printer, the next would fit a digital camera,
and the smallest - measuring only 3 cm by 4 cm - is meant for smaller
mobile devices.

Another potential benefit to fuel cell batteries is that they're
expected to last longer than their lithium-ion counterparts.

Still, it could be awhile before they make it to market - the prototypes
have to be tested, and Canon still has to decide how to sell it,
although it'll probably entail refilling the cartridges at company
outlets. "

CityTV, Toronto,Canada.

Old October 26th 05, 10:02 AM
Ron Hunter

Cathy wrote:
[...]

Wonder what they plan to do with the water generated by hydrogen fuel
cells. I really don't think I want my camera or cell phone to make a
puddle on my foot. Grin.

--
Ron Hunter
Old October 26th 05, 12:43 PM
ASAAR

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 04:02:40 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

Wonder what they plan to do with the water generated by
hydrogen fuel cells. I really don't think I want my camera or
cell phone to make a puddle on my foot. Grin.

Now there's an improvement worth talking about. Not many other
battery types leak only water. And if you are puddle phobic, don't
ever hold a toddler.

Old October 26th 05, 01:16 PM
Skip M

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message

Wonder what they plan to do with the water generated by hydrogen fuel
cells. I really don't think I want my camera or cell phone to make a
puddle on my foot. Grin.

--
Ron Hunter

Considering how flammable hydrogen is, I'm not sure I'd want it right by my
ear, either...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old October 26th 05, 03:19 PM
Jasen

"Cathy" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like an inconvenience if you have to take it someplace to get
recharged. What do you do if you need to recharge in the middle of nowhere?
I'd hope they last a while in that case. How much longer though? 20%, 50%,
100%??
Rather my lithium ion battery which I can charge in the car if I need to.

Old October 26th 05, 03:35 PM

Cathy quoted CityTV Toronto:
Canon is working on a new way to power high-tech devices that could
spell the end of traditional batteries.

Bull. The market for "traditional" batteries will remain HUGE for
generations to come - if only due to all the things sold over the past
50 years that use them! Think what market that must mean for AA
penlight batteries alone.
Fuel cells require OXYGEN to work. Not much good in any
current-generation flashlight, radio, or digicam. You can bet that
some major manufacturer(s) or importers of traditional batteries will
decide to keep that giant, very-profitable market - no matter what
small fuel cells come out.

No $4 to park! No $6 admission!
http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW

Old October 26th 05, 03:37 PM
Larry

Saw an ad for an LED flashlight that provides lots of light after a 30
second shake. Probably a strong magnet, big coil, diode, charge a big
capacitor type thing. Also we now have 30 second wind-up radios that play
for half an hour. Will we next see a wind-up or shake me digital camera?
Perhaps ordinary batteries are doomed for extinction.

Old October 26th 05, 04:29 PM
Bill Funk

wrote:

Wonder what they plan to do with the water generated by hydrogen fuel
cells. I really don't think I want my camera or cell phone to make a
puddle on my foot. Grin.

It's my understanding that the water is produced as a vapor, and it's
not very dense (low humidity factor?), so the dew point is very low.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
Old October 26th 05, 04:31 PM
Bill Funk

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 00:19:17 +1000, "Jasen"
wrote:

Sounds like an inconvenience if you have to take it someplace to get
recharged. What do you do if you need to recharge in the middle of nowhere?
I'd hope they last a while in that case. How much longer though? 20%, 50%,
100%??
Rather my lithium ion battery which I can charge in the car if I need to.

The refillable battery would be removable, so a spare could be
carried.
A question that might be more important: would we be able to carry
this bomb on an aircraft?

Old October 26th 05, 04:32 PM
Bill Funk

On 26 Oct 2005 07:35:31 -0700, "
wrote:

Cathy quoted CityTV Toronto:
Canon is working on a new way to power high-tech devices that could
spell the end of traditional batteries.

Bull. The market for "traditional" batteries will remain HUGE for
generations to come - if only due to all the things sold over the past
50 years that use them! Think what market that must mean for AA
penlight batteries alone.
Fuel cells require OXYGEN to work. Not much good in any
current-generation flashlight, radio, or digicam. You can bet that
some major manufacturer(s) or importers of traditional batteries will
decide to keep that giant, very-profitable market - no matter what
small fuel cells come out.

There's oxygen in the air.
This won't work?