Minolta Maxxum 7D and generic lithium batteries

Old September 18th 05, 04:26 PM
Mark Cutler

Default Minolta Maxxum 7D and generic lithium batteries

I just bought a Konica Minolta 7D and wanted to get some spare
batteries (NP-400). I see plenty of generic lithium batteries at about
1/3 the price of the Konica Minolta version. From what I have read in
general, I gather that some generic lithium batteries can be as good as
the manufacturer-supplied version, but some cheaply made ones can be
weaker or even downright dangerous. Has anybody had experience with any
particular generics? Any recommendation as to what to get or what to
avoid?

Also, I have seen some of the Minolta NP-400 batteries labeled as being
for the Dimage A1 and A2, and others as advertised for the A1, A2, 7D,
and 5D. For example, Amazon lists both, but the A1-A2 version is $5
less. I assume these are exactly the same batteries, and that some that
were made before the 7D and 5D came out just don't refer to them. Is
that correct?

Mark Cutler

Old September 18th 05, 09:32 PM
Alan Browne

Mark Cutler wrote:

I just bought a Konica Minolta 7D

Congrats.

and wanted to get some spare batteries

Me too. However I've found one battery, no spare has worked fine. (I
don't use the built in flash or AF, so that helps, but the battery does
last quite a while ... eg: many hundreds of shots.

(NP-400). I see plenty of generic lithium batteries at about 1/3 the
price of the Konica Minolta version. From what I have read in general, I
gather that some generic lithium batteries can be as good as the
manufacturer-supplied version, but some cheaply made ones can be weaker
or even downright dangerous. Has anybody had experience with any
particular generics? Any recommendation as to what to get or what to avoid?

Buy from a reliable source like B&H if you go off brand.

Also, I have seen some of the Minolta NP-400 batteries labeled as being
for the Dimage A1 and A2, and others as advertised for the A1, A2, 7D,
and 5D. For example, Amazon lists both, but the A1-A2 version is $5
less. I assume these are exactly the same batteries, and that some that
were made before the 7D and 5D came out just don't refer to them. Is
that correct?

Yep, as long as it is the NP-400.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 19th 05, 12:30 AM
Jasen

When you get a good feel for the 7D can you do a review on it here? I am
looking to buy one but not sure whether to wait or just bite the bullet and
get one now. Did you wonder whether you could get more megapixels by
waiting until next year?
I think you should be able to get good cheaper generic batteries as a few
other brands of camera manufacturer use the same battery type and I'd doubt
if there was no market for them.

Old September 19th 05, 02:39 AM
Jer

Mark Cutler wrote:
[...]

After spending a chunk on a 7D, which came with one battery, a second
brand battery was a no-brainer. Don't think I'll ever need more.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Old September 19th 05, 04:50 PM
piperut

Jer wrote:
Mark Cutler wrote:
[...]

I don't have a Minolta.
I have the Canon Digital Rebel.

EverReady makes a battery for the Digital Rebel. It seems to last
longer then the Canon Batteries.

roland

Old September 25th 05, 03:57 PM
Alan Browne

Jasen wrote:

When you get a good feel for the 7D can you do a review on it here? I am
looking to buy one but not sure whether to wait or just bite the bullet and
get one now. Did you wonder whether you could get more megapixels by
waiting until next year?

http://www.aliasimages.com/Max7Drev.htm

I suspect that K-M will come out with a less cropped, 10 to 12 Mpix DSLR
in the next year or so. Minolta have been quiet about developments
(historically).

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 26th 05, 02:57 PM
Jasen

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Jasen wrote:

When you get a good feel for the 7D can you do a review on it here? I

am
looking to buy one but not sure whether to wait or just bite the bullet

and
get one now. Did you wonder whether you could get more megapixels by
waiting until next year?

http://www.aliasimages.com/Max7Drev.htm

I suspect that K-M will come out with a less cropped, 10 to 12 Mpix DSLR
in the next year or so. Minolta have been quiet about developments
(historically).

Cheers,
Alan.

Read your review, very interesting reading. You sound like a seasoned
professional, but do you think this camera would be fine for someone who
considers themselves as a serious amateur (come apiring semi-professional
starting out on a modest budget) who wants to concentrate on wildlife,
nature/macro and travel photography with some people shots thrown in?
cheers
Jasen

Old September 26th 05, 04:53 PM
Alan Browne

Jasen wrote:

Read your review, very interesting reading. You sound like a seasoned
professional, but do you think this camera would be fine for someone who
considers themselves as a serious amateur (come apiring semi-professional
starting out on a modest budget) who wants to concentrate on wildlife,
nature/macro and travel photography with some people shots thrown in?

Thanks for your comments, but I'm not a professional, I just like
photography and do a lot of it.

The Maxxum 7D follows the "high end" principles of Minolta's film
cameras since the mid 90's: Put the controls out where they're of use
to the photographer (not in menus). Because of this, these cameras are
well suited to pros and to serious amateurs. They can be run from full
manual to full P&S (and everywhere in between) as you may require

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 27th 05, 01:05 PM
Jasen

Jasen wrote:

[...]

No worries Alan.
What about image quality and image size? A pro photographer buddy of mine
in the UK recommended the EOS 20D but I can't buy into that without parting
with my Minolta lenses and big bucks to replace them. I just don't know
whether if it is worth me waiting 12 months or more until I can get an
affordable 10mp minolta. My think is is that I just go the 7D now while
it's cheap and if I am successful I can buy bigger and better later or if
that doesn't happen then I am comfortable in the knowledge that I have a
damn decent camera for amateur use.
what are your thoughts?
cheers
Jasen

Old September 27th 05, 04:58 PM
Mark Cutler

On 2005-09-27 05:05:33 -0700, "Jasen" said:

What about image quality and image size? A pro photographer buddy of mine
in the UK recommended the EOS 20D but I can't buy into that without parting
with my Minolta lenses and big bucks to replace them. I just don't know
whether if it is worth me waiting 12 months or more until I can get an
affordable 10mp minolta. My think is is that I just go the 7D now while
it's cheap and if I am successful I can buy bigger and better later or if
that doesn't happen then I am comfortable in the knowledge that I have a
damn decent camera for amateur use.
what are your thoughts?
cheers
Jasen

That's the right plan.I bought a 7D in the last two weeks and love
being able to use all my Minolta lenses and 5400 xi flash with it. You
can do an awful lot with 6 mp. If you sit around waiting for 10, by the
time it comes out you will think you need 15. It is just like computers
- there will always be something better and cheaper next year, but if
you keep waiting you will never have one. The 7D has a $200 rebate
going through the end of the year (at least in the US) and that makes
it a very attractive buy.

Mark Cutler