Building a View camera to use Hassy or Kiev backs

Old May 4th 04, 10:10 PM
Jim-Ed Browne

Default Building a View camera to use Hassy or Kiev backs

I have a couple of questions. I'd like to build a 6x7cm view camera
with groundglass focussing, like the Bender but smaller, but I'd like
to use Hassselblad or Kiev 88 backs. What would be the simplest way to
rig a film advance, as this is on the body? Also, what doesn't
interchange between the Hasselblad and Kiev backs-is the gear a
different pitch or in a different spot? Is there a reason they changed
it on the Kiev-or for that matter the Bronica SQ?
Old May 5th 04, 12:21 AM
Mike

"Jim-Ed Browne" wrote in message
om...
I have a couple of questions. I'd like to build a 6x7cm view camera
with groundglass focussing, like the Bender but smaller, but I'd like
to use Hassselblad or Kiev 88 backs. What would be the simplest way to
rig a film advance, as this is on the body? Also, what doesn't
interchange between the Hasselblad and Kiev backs-is the gear a
different pitch or in a different spot? Is there a reason they changed
it on the Kiev-or for that matter the Bronica SQ?

Why not use RB magazines?

Old May 5th 04, 12:29 AM
Q.G. de Bakker

Jim-Ed Browne wrote:

I have a couple of questions. I'd like to build a 6x7cm view camera
with groundglass focussing, like the Bender but smaller, but I'd like
to use Hassselblad or Kiev 88 backs. What would be the simplest way to
rig a film advance, as this is on the body? Also, what doesn't
interchange between the Hasselblad and Kiev backs-is the gear a
different pitch or in a different spot? Is there a reason they changed
it on the Kiev-or for that matter the Bronica SQ?

A 6x7 view camera using 6x6 backs will not be a 6x7 view camera... ;-).

Old May 5th 04, 03:53 AM
Stacey

Jim-Ed Browne wrote:

I have a couple of questions. I'd like to build a 6x7cm view camera
with groundglass focussing, like the Bender but smaller, but I'd like
to use Hassselblad or Kiev 88 backs.

This camera already exists, a baby graphic. :-)

Also the backs you mentioned are 6X6, the gearing is different between the
two and the body advances the film. I'd -highly- recomend avoiding the kiev
backs, it's the worst part of a bad camera! :-)

Something like the 2X3 graphloc back stolen off a baby graphic or the back
off of a graphlex would be a much better place to start.
--

Stacey
Old May 5th 04, 07:32 PM
Jim-Ed Browne

Also the backs you mentioned are 6X6, the gearing is different between the
two and the body advances the film. I'd -highly- recomend avoiding the kiev
backs, it's the worst part of a bad camera! :-)

Something like the 2X3 graphloc back stolen off a baby graphic or the back
off of a graphlex would be a much better place to start.

I really don't need 6x7 or 6x9. And I already have a Hasselblad. I
want a little bit of swing and tilt and I want to use some extant
cheap optics.

No one seems to know exactly what Kiev changed when they started
making the FP Hasselblad clone. I have heard Hassy users say that the
reworked Kiev backs work pretty well, but no one seems to know what
gets altered.
Old May 5th 04, 08:30 PM
jjs

"Jim-Ed Browne" wrote in message
om...

I really don't need 6x7 or 6x9. And I already have a Hasselblad. I
want a little bit of swing and tilt and I want to use some extant
cheap optics.

So what's the problem, really? Do you want to make the camera body yourself?
For inspiration see this: http://www.zoerk.com/pages/p_mfs.htm
Funky!
And this: http://www.zoerk.com/pages/p_psa.htm
and http://www.zoerk.com/pages/p_pshift.htm

Old May 6th 04, 04:30 AM
Stacey

Jim-Ed Browne wrote:

No one seems to know exactly what Kiev changed when they started
making the FP Hasselblad clone.

I just told you, it's mainly the gearing. I don't think the light trap
raised part of the back is the same either.

I have heard Hassy users say that the
reworked Kiev backs work pretty well, but no one seems to know what
gets altered.

They change the gearing. Hartblei made 'blad compatable backs and made up
new gearing to match the hasselblads. As far as how well they work, I
bought a Hartblei camera modified to use 'blad backs and the only problems
have happened when I tried to use the kiev 'modified to 'blad specs" back
instead of a real 'blad backs. Since both are driven from gearing inside
the camera, their use on a view camera would be difficult.

--

Stacey
Old May 6th 04, 07:00 PM
Q.G. de Bakker

Stacey wrote:

I just told you, it's mainly the gearing. I don't think the light trap
raised part of the back is the same either.

It indeed isn't. Tasing a file to the Kiev back will help solve that though.
;-)

[...] Since both are driven from gearing inside
the camera, their use on a view camera would be difficult.

Surprisingly, Bob Monaghan hasn't chimed in with his very good "use a
non-automatic back" tip. They have a peephole allowing you to inspect
transport, which is done using the key on the back itself. Works.