ot. iPhone updates

Old December 8th 17, 05:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default ot. iPhone updates

On 12/7/2017 1:55 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , peter
wrote:

Prior to getting my new iPhone I would be notified that there is an update
available. I have had issues with my plus that have been solved by updating
the iOS system. Both times I had not received a notice that an update was
available that would fix the bug. Has anybody else had that issue, or is
there a setting that I have missed. If it is a setting, which one?

updates can take a few days to appear for everyone, or you can request
it at any time.

The iPhone is a tool.

so are you.

I don¹t want to have to check for updates every
minute.

nobody said you did.

Then when i have a semi=functional paper weight, how long should I wait
between checking for updates?
an hour?
a day?
wait a few days for an Apple store appointment?

Get real. I'm not in the mood for your crap. A lot of users don't use
Siri. Are you suggesting I go find a Bluetooth device so I can make a
call. This is not one of the debates that you like to get involved in.
It is a serious issue. As for Apple policy, I am making my own queries,
and when I have an authoritative answer i will let the good people here
know.

When there is a fix for a known bug, the user should be notified.

they are.

That is what they used to do

they still do.

--
PeterN
Old December 8th 17, 05:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Prior to getting my new iPhone I would be notified that there is an
update
available. I have had issues with my plus that have been solved by
updating
the iOS system. Both times I had not received a notice that an update was
available that would fix the bug. Has anybody else had that issue, or is
there a setting that I have missed. If it is a setting, which one?

updates can take a few days to appear for everyone, or you can request
it at any time.

The iPhone is a tool.

so are you.

I don1t want to have to check for updates every
minute.

nobody said you did.

Then when i have a semi=functional paper weight, how long should I wait
between checking for updates?
an hour?
a day?
wait a few days for an Apple store appointment?

your original query was about why you didn't get an update
notification, which i explained multiple times.

if you're having a specific issue, that's different.

Get real. I'm not in the mood for your crap.

i'm not in the mood for *yours*.

you wanted to know why updates don't magically appear for all users the
moment an updates is released and i told you. updates are staggered,
something any major company does, for reasons that should be obvious.

once again, if you want an update and it hasn't pushed to you yet, you
can request it. very simple.

A lot of users don't use
Siri. Are you suggesting I go find a Bluetooth device so I can make a
call.

nobody suggested anything remotely close to that. more of your made up
idiocy

This is not one of the debates that you like to get involved in.
It is a serious issue.

i never said it wasn't serious. more of your made up idiocy.

As for Apple policy, I am making my own queries,
and when I have an authoritative answer i will let the good people here
know.

i told you what their policies are with regards to updates.
Old December 8th 17, 12:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

The only issue I found was that I was promted to install an IOS update (I got
a little red circle with a 1 in it on the systems icon) but I didn't want to
install the update at that time so I hit remind me later or not now whatever
the option is to not do it immidiatly.
Then the little red circle disapeeared and I forgot all about the update, so
wasn't promted again. This is quite differnt from what I get on the iMac
computer, where I'm always getting prompts to install the lastest updates
almost everyday or on restarts, and I get a "remind me tomorrow" "remind
me in 1 hour" options. etc...

it's definitely not every day and it can be turned off if you prefer.
Old December 8th 17, 02:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , peter
wrote:

Newsflash!
There¹s a lot of us who use an iPhone to make telephone calls,

not as many as you think. most people use smartphones for *other* stuff.

And send
text messages.

that part is true. messaging is one of the most common uses.

I had the problem on Monday. Today is Thursday, and our
daughter was visiting with us had a similar problem on her iPhone eight.

8

She still had the problem today, and she had not been notified about the
fix.

how many times do you have to be told that anyone can request an update
at any time. there is no need to wait. if an update is available, they
will have the option to install it.

also, the problem you describe (as vague as it is), isn't one that's
been circling the ios forums, so it's not as common as you might think.
Old December 8th 17, 02:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
peter

nospam wrote:
In article , peter
wrote:

Prior to getting my new iPhone I would be notified that there is an
update
available. I have had issues with my plus that have been solved by
updating
the iOS system. Both times I had not received a notice that an update was
available that would fix the bug. Has anybody else had that issue, or is
there a setting that I have missed. If it is a setting, which one?

updates can take a few days to appear for everyone, or you can request
it at any time.

i used to get a notification that there was an update. Since I go the 8+
I have not been getting any.

what version does your 8+ currently have? you may be up to date already.

as i said, it sometimes may take a few days for it to check on its own.
11.2 was released over the weekend so it may not have checked yet, but
if you prefer, just manually request it.

I called support and was advised to bring in the phone, which I cannot do.

no need.

I¹ve been poked around and found there was an update, which I installed and
the problem was fixed.

which is exactly what i said to do.

My question is has Apple changed it¹s policy?

no.

Or was
this just because they were In a rush to get the update out.

no.

there are nearly 1 billion ios users, which means the update is not
pushed to everyone at the exact same time. it's staggered over about a
week or so.

as i said before and will say again because you *still* don't get it,
it may take a few days for everyone to see the update, however, you can
check at any time and will get the latest currently available.

microsoft does the same thing, but over an even longer period of time.
creators update was *still* being rolled out this past fall, some six
*months* after its initial rollout, right around the time fall creators
update appeared.

The problem
was a serious one. I had no access to my contact list and could not use the
phone except with Siri or Bluetooth.

that's it?

Newsflash!
There’s a lot of us who use an iPhone to make telephone calls, And send
text messages. I had the problem on Monday. Today is Thursday, and our
daughter was visiting with us had a similar problem on her iPhone eight.
She still had the problem today, and she had not been notified about the
fix.

—
PeterN
Old December 8th 17, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
peter

nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

If you are not b sing again, they changed their policy, which was my
original complaint

--
PeterN
Old December 8th 17, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
peter

Whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 7 December 2017 17:00:59 UTC, peter wrote:
nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

I’ve been poked around and found there was an update, which I installed and
the problem was fixed. My question is has Apple changed it’s policy? Or was
this just because they were In a rush to get the update out. The problem
was a serious one. I had no access to my contact list and could not use the
phone except with Siri or Bluetooth.

—
PeterN

The only issue I found was that I was promted to install an IOS update (I
got a little red circle with a 1 in it on the systems icon) but I didn't
want to install the update at that time so I hit remind me later or not
now whatever the option is to not do it immidiatly.
Then the little red circle disapeeared and I forgot all about the update,
so wasn't promted again. This is quite differnt from what I get on the
iMac computer, where I'm always getting prompts to install the lastest
updates almost everyday or on restarts, and I get a "remind me tomorrow"
"remind me in 1 hour" options. etc...

I did not get the dot

--
PeterN

Old December 8th 17, 09:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
peter

nospam wrote:
In article , peter
wrote:

As for Apple policy, I am making my own queries,
and when I have an authoritative answer i will let the good people here
know.

i told you what their policies are with regards to updates.

If you are not b sing again, they changed their policy, which was my
original complaint

they have not.

Your statements are far from authoritative, unless you are part of the top
management at Apple.

--
PeterN
Old December 8th 17, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , peter
wrote:

As for Apple policy, I am making my own queries,
and when I have an authoritative answer i will let the good people here
know.

i told you what their policies are with regards to updates.

If you are not b sing again, they changed their policy, which was my
original complaint

they have not.

Your statements are far from authoritative, unless you are part of the top
management at Apple.

nonsense. one need not be an apple employee at any level to know what
their software update policies are, and had something changed (which it
did not), it would have been widely reported in the usual apple-related
news sites and podcasts.