Strange question.

Old November 9th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ben Brugman

Default Strange question.

This is partly for fun, but if not interested please skip this thread.

The question.
Suppose you live on the border between the US and Canada.
It's june and you make a photograph due south. (So the camera
is directly pointed towards the south).
You use a (very) wide angle lens.
You want the sun in the picture and you want it
as low as possible in the picture.
At what time should you take the picture ?

Thanks for your time and attention,
ben

Old November 9th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rudy Benner \(All_Thumbs\)

"Ben Brugman" wrote in message
This is partly for fun, but if not interested please skip this thread.

The question.
Suppose you live on the border between the US and Canada.
It's june and you make a photograph due south. (So the camera
is directly pointed towards the south).
You use a (very) wide angle lens.
You want the sun in the picture and you want it
as low as possible in the picture.
At what time should you take the picture ?

Thanks for your time and attention,
ben

Noon on Dec 21.

Why would you want to live that close to the border, move further north and
breathe easier.

Old November 9th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ben Brugman

It's june and you make a photograph due south. (So the camera

Noon on Dec 21.

Dec 21 does not happen in june, at least not close to the border
US / Canada.

Why would you want to live that close to the border, move further north
and breathe easier.

Thanks for your participation,
ben

Old November 9th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Ben Brugman wrote:
This is partly for fun, but if not interested please skip this thread.

The question.
Suppose you live on the border between the US and Canada.
It's june and you make a photograph due south. (So the camera
is directly pointed towards the south).
You use a (very) wide angle lens.
You want the sun in the picture and you want it
as low as possible in the picture.
At what time should you take the picture ?

Just a rough guess here, but a little after 4AM or perhaps just before 9:30 PM

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old November 9th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug Payne

On 09/11/2006 4:11 PM, Ben Brugman wrote:
This is partly for fun, but if not interested please skip this thread.

The question.
Suppose you live on the border between the US and Canada.
It's june and you make a photograph due south. (So the camera
is directly pointed towards the south).
You use a (very) wide angle lens.
You want the sun in the picture and you want it
as low as possible in the picture.
At what time should you take the picture ?

Which part of the border? AK/YT or ON/NY?
Old November 9th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Ben Brugman wrote:

This is partly for fun, but if not interested please skip this thread.

The question.
Suppose you live on the border between the US and Canada.
It's june and you make a photograph due south. (So the camera
is directly pointed towards the south).
You use a (very) wide angle lens.
You want the sun in the picture and you want it
as low as possible in the picture.
At what time should you take the picture ?

Sunrise or sunset. If there was a field of view specified, one could
calculate when the sun went off the edge of the frame from solar charts.
The widest 35mm lens I know of is 6mm & 220 degrees (only 20 degrees
north on either side) but I think there's wider like a glass ball you
point up to capture the entire scene for specialized panoramic cameras.
Old November 9th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Carol

This link was posted a few months ago and has been very helpful to me.
It lists sunrise/sunsets via lat/long or location.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html

Carol

Old November 9th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ben Brugman

"Paul Furman" schreef in bericht
. ..
Ben Brugman wrote:

This is partly for fun, but if not interested please skip this thread.

The question.
Suppose you live on the border between the US and Canada.
It's june and you make a photograph due south. (So the camera
is directly pointed towards the south).
You use a (very) wide angle lens.
You want the sun in the picture and you want it
as low as possible in the picture.
At what time should you take the picture ?

Sunrise or sunset. If there was a field of view specified, one could
calculate when the sun went off the edge of the frame from solar charts.
The widest 35mm lens I know of is 6mm & 220 degrees (only 20 degrees north
on either side) but I think there's wider like a glass ball you point up
to capture the entire scene for specialized panoramic cameras.

Sorry I should have specified a non fisheye lens. I do not want to cope
with the 'distortion' of a fisheye.
The widest angle (sunrise sunset) at that latitude is about 270 degrees,
so sunrise and sunset do not belong to the options.
So even with the most extreme wide angle we can only cope with something
from east over the south to the west.
The question still stands.
Added here is a 'distortion' free lens. (I think that would be a 14 or 15 mm
lens for ther 35 mm format).

Thanks for your contribution and time,
Ben

Old November 9th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ben Brugman

"Doug Payne" schreef in bericht
On 09/11/2006 4:11 PM, Ben Brugman wrote:
This is partly for fun, but if not interested please skip this thread.

The question.
Suppose you live on the border between the US and Canada.
It's june and you make a photograph due south. (So the camera
is directly pointed towards the south).
You use a (very) wide angle lens.
You want the sun in the picture and you want it
as low as possible in the picture.
At what time should you take the picture ?

Which part of the border? AK/YT or ON/NY?

Well I do not want to specify, but I live on about 52 degrees North.

Ben
(The 52 degrees North somewhere in Europe, but I looked where 52
degrees North would fall in North America, so that would be about
the Canadian border.)

Old November 9th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ben Brugman

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" schreef in bericht
.. .
Ben Brugman wrote:
This is partly for fun, but if not interested please skip this thread.

The question.
Suppose you live on the border between the US and Canada.
It's june and you make a photograph due south. (So the camera
is directly pointed towards the south).
You use a (very) wide angle lens.
You want the sun in the picture and you want it
as low as possible in the picture.
At what time should you take the picture ?

Just a rough guess here, but a little after 4AM or perhaps just before
9:30 PM

With the camera facing south, this would not include the 4 AM sunrise, or
the
9:30 PM sunset, not even with a Fisheye. But because a Fisheye 'distorts',
it becomes dificult to define what is as low as possible. So lets stick with
lenses which are distortion free.

ben

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse