any Clayton F60 people in here?

Old June 4th 04, 11:13 PM
hmmph

Default any Clayton F60 people in here?

Man I'm trying to get an alternative liquid developer, but this stuff sucks.
I am no techie as far as plotting curves and what not, but I'm guessing this
stuff eats at least a stop and a half, speed wise. Just shot a roll of HP5
(120) and developed as per their instructions (1:9 for 7 min, @ 68f) and am
I shocked!

I shot four scenes, at three speeds...400, 200, and 100.

The 400? Forget it
The 200? No me gusta
The 100? Shadow detail was finally acceptable, but at the expense of the
highlights (to be expected). I can't expect to be dropping films two stops!
One is the norm, but even with that same film and HP5, most shots come out
fine.

Does anyone use this stuff? Any comparable stats? Or suggestions? Should I
just try more time developing?

Old June 5th 04, 03:59 AM
Donald Qualls

hmmph wrote:

Man I'm trying to get an alternative liquid developer, but this stuff sucks.
I am no techie as far as plotting curves and what not, but I'm guessing this
stuff eats at least a stop and a half, speed wise. Just shot a roll of HP5
(120) and developed as per their instructions (1:9 for 7 min, @ 68f) and am
I shocked!

I shot four scenes, at three speeds...400, 200, and 100.

The 400? Forget it
The 200? No me gusta
The 100? Shadow detail was finally acceptable, but at the expense of the
highlights (to be expected). I can't expect to be dropping films two stops!
One is the norm, but even with that same film and HP5, most shots come out
fine.

Does anyone use this stuff? Any comparable stats? Or suggestions? Should I
just try more time developing?

Run, do not walk, and get a bottle of HC-110. Use Dilution H (half the
strength of Dilution B) at about 20% above Dilution B times with
standard agitation. You'll get, at most, 1/3 stop loss, and more likely
full film speed. You'll get some compensation with Dilution H, which
will help preserve the highlights. And you'll save money -- Dilution H,
for 120, costs about fifteen cents per film, one-shot, with the bonus
that you can dilute direct from concentrate and the concentrate lasts
years, even in an opened bottle.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm