A fully manual dSLR

Old April 1st 05, 02:55 PM

Default A fully manual dSLR

Hello,

So here is a question I hope someone can answer: I am looking for a
digital SLR (6 to 8 MP). Ideally, the camera could both automatic and
fully manual (shutter speed, aperture, focus, and a light meter). Does
this exist? Years ago I bought a SLR (non-digital) but it is actually
rather complicated, virtually impossible to use it for more than a nice
automatic point-and-shoot (yes, there are all kinds of convoluted
bracketing options, etc, but you need the manual to remember them).

I would like to find a calera that combines automatic options with a
fully-manual camapility. Am I asking for something that no longer
exists? Seems like noting beats my 25 year old Ricoh SLR for
simplicity and control...

Thanks for any advice

Old April 1st 05, 03:26 PM
David R. Greenberg

Hello,

So here is a question I hope someone can answer: I am looking for a
digital SLR (6 to 8 MP). Ideally, the camera could both automatic

and
fully manual (shutter speed, aperture, focus, and a light meter).

Does
this exist? Years ago I bought a SLR (non-digital) but it is

actually
rather complicated, virtually impossible to use it for more than a

nice
automatic point-and-shoot (yes, there are all kinds of convoluted
bracketing options, etc, but you need the manual to remember them).

Every single DSLR on the market today meets your needs. Every one
offers complete manual control over exposure and also offers automation
in the form of aperture-priority, shutter-priority and program modes.
Some offer additional "newbie" modes in the form of portrait,
landscape, action etc. Such modes try to optimize shutter speed and
depth of field for the selected application.

Since every production DSLR meets your needs, focus on which one is
right for you. A good part of this decision will depend on which system
you'd like to get involved with. I'd recommend that you visit the
forums on
www.dpreview.com for at least the following cameras: Canon
350D, Canon 20D, Nikon D70, Konica-Minolta 7D and Pentax *ist-DS. The
Canon 350D, Nikon D70 and Pentax *ist-DS are your best bets, with
excellent capabilities and all under $1000 including a starter lens.
Although it's quite cheap as well as very capable, I'd avoid the Canon
300D at this point, since the incremental cost of moving to the 350D is
small and the 350D is a much better camera.

David

Old April 1st 05, 03:30 PM
Chris Brown

In article .com,
wrote:
Hello,

So here is a question I hope someone can answer: I am looking for a
digital SLR (6 to 8 MP). Ideally, the camera could both automatic and
fully manual (shutter speed, aperture, focus, and a light meter). Does
this exist?

I think they all work like that. The Canons certainly do. On my 10D, I just
switch it to M, and I'm away. Don't even need to flip the AF disable switch
on the lens if it's a USM lens, because I have the autofocus bound to one of
the extra buttons on the back, and not a shutter half-press. Taking a
picture is just a matter of setting the aperture, shutter speed, turning the
focus ring, and squeezing the shutter release.

I would like to find a calera that combines automatic options with a
fully-manual camapility. Am I asking for something that no longer
exists?

Depending on what lenses you have, I'd suggest taking a look at any of:

Canon 20D and 350D
Pentax *ist D and *ist DS
Nikon D70

Old April 1st 05, 03:30 PM
David R. Greenberg

I should have made clear that by the 350D I mean the "Digital Rebel XT"
and by the 300D I mean the original "Digital Rebel."

Old April 1st 05, 03:30 PM
David R. Greenberg

Old April 1st 05, 03:47 PM
Owamanga

On 1 Apr 2005 05:55:04 -0800, wrote:

Hello,

So here is a question I hope someone can answer: I am looking for a
digital SLR (6 to 8 MP). Ideally, the camera could both automatic and
fully manual (shutter speed, aperture, focus, and a light meter). Does
this exist? Years ago I bought a SLR (non-digital) but it is actually
rather complicated, virtually impossible to use it for more than a nice
automatic point-and-shoot (yes, there are all kinds of convoluted
bracketing options, etc, but you need the manual to remember them).

I would like to find a calera that combines automatic options with a
fully-manual camapility. Am I asking for something that no longer
exists? Seems like noting beats my 25 year old Ricoh SLR for
simplicity and control...

Thanks for any advice

I think many DSLRs will do this. The one problem they all share is
also common with most AF film bodies. Manual focusing can be a bitch
because the screen helper tools are not there.

Not sure if you want some specific manual control but generally they
allow you to:

Choose the shutter speed.
Choose the aperture.
Choose the ISO.
Manually focus.
Choose the flash output power.

Because of the digital darkroom, you will actually enjoy far more
control over the whole process than you ever did with film. (Guessing
here that you didn't have a color processing lab at home).

Because to the zero cost per frame shot, you will also enjoy playing
and exploring methods of photography that you may have never done with
film. Some examples: Infra-Red, Under-water, Astronomy, Shooting 3
frames per second until you get bored, compositing bracketed
exposures, storm photography, photo diary, panoramics, 3D, flash
gels.. there's lots more.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga