Two images

Old January 7th 21, 05:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Melanie van Buren

Default Two images

The first image is by someone who knows what they are doing by taking an
idea and using a half decent camera and light i.e. Helmut Newton.

https://www.interviewmagazine.com/wp...-HR-scaled.jpg

The second picture is by someone with half a lazy clue who was in a
hurry (cropped and levelled shot using a camera swinging at the end of a
tripod) and didn't take much bother at all i.e. me. As not very good as
it is and certainly bad in comparison I found it to be a useful
exercise. If you take something good you may not always learn. By
comparing the good with the bad photo I can better understand the
differences at an emotional level. The lessons just sink in deeper and
motivate to do better next time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4ee1apg9t...18-25-42-3.jpg

--
Melanie van Buren
Old January 7th 21, 05:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Jan 7, 2021, Melanie van Buren wrote
(in article ):

The first image is by someone who knows what they are doing by taking an
idea and using a half decent camera and light i.e. Helmut Newton.

https://www.interviewmagazine.com/wp...Walter-Steiger
-shoe-Monte-Carlo-1983-HR-scaled.jpg

The second picture is by someone with half a lazy clue who was in a
hurry (cropped and levelled shot using a camera swinging at the end of a
tripod) and didn't take much bother at all i.e. me. As not very good as
it is and certainly bad in comparison I found it to be a useful
exercise. If you take something good you may not always learn. By
comparing the good with the bad photo I can better understand the
differences at an emotional level. The lessons just sink in deeper and
motivate to do better next time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4ee1apg9t...18-25-42-3.jpg

When you ask for comments, you are likely to get them. An artistic focus is
desirable, but the technical side counts, too. It’s out of focus AND noisy,
which you probably did not intend. And the floor/wall joint is very
distracting, and appears to be more in focus than the subject. And imitation
has its uses, but limits, too.
Anyway, find your real camera, or replace it, and try some of your own ideas.
You going to bore yourself right out of photography copying things.

Old January 7th 21, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Melanie van Buren

On 07/01/2021 17:44, Bill W wrote:
[...]

As i said I was in a hurry and being lazy. I know what the faults are.
There's no need to overthink this or try to turn me into a gearhead or
tell me what pictures I should or shouldn't take.

Maybe just maybe I know more about neuro-psychology than you and have
other things going on in the background than I'm telling anyone. I'm
learning MY way because this is what works for me and I am finding
myself motivated by what interests ME.

I bet I also sold more pictures to paying clients this week than all of
you put together. It's a **** picture for sure and I can and hopefully
will do better as I get into a photography habit ands like 3000% better
than most of the competition I'm up against.

It's also one more photo than most of you posted this week.

--
Melanie van Buren
Old January 7th 21, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 7, 2021, Melanie van Buren wrote
(in article ):

The first image is by someone who knows what they are doing by taking an
idea and using a half decent camera and light i.e. Helmut Newton.

https://www.interviewmagazine.com/wp...-HR-scaled.jpg

The second picture is by someone with half a lazy clue who was in a
hurry (cropped and levelled shot using a camera swinging at the end of a
tripod) and didn't take much bother at all i.e. me. As not very good as
it is and certainly bad in comparison I found it to be a useful
exercise. If you take something good you may not always learn. By
comparing the good with the bad photo I can better understand the
differences at an emotional level. The lessons just sink in deeper and
motivate to do better next time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4ee1apg9t...18-25-42-3.jpg

What sort of feed back are you trying to get, or are you just trying to relate what you were thinking with this particular exercise?
You understand that by posting here that you are inviting comment?

You seem to be making excuses for your image with your comparison to the 1983 shot. I guess you already know that your photo is out of focus which technically results in a not particularly pleasing image.

You might like the Helmut Newton style, and wish to emulate his work, but sometimes it is best to develop your personal photographic style, fine tune your technical skills along with seriously considering an equipment upgrade.

Savageduck

Old January 7th 21, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

[...]

That leaves many of us wondering what you are trying to achieve by posting your images to rec.photo.digital, if not to promote discussion.

Maybe just maybe I know more about neuro-psychology than you and have
other things going on in the background than I'm telling anyone. I'm
learning MY way because this is what works for me and I am finding
myself motivated by what interests ME.

Great, but never make assumptions regarding the life experience, and knowledge of t5he regulars in this NG.

I bet I also sold more pictures to paying clients this week than all of
you put together.

You do understand that nobody here cares what photos you might, or might not have sold. That is not important.

It's a **** picture for sure and I can and hopefully
will do better as I get into a photography habit ands like 3000% better
than most of the competition I'm up against.

That seems to be a fair analysis, but “3000% better” and “competition”. Why are you in competition with anybody?

It's also one more photo than most of you posted this week.

Some of us post images regularly, and some post when the whim urges us to post. I for one make a reasonable contribution of images to this, and some other groups, many times I get no response, sometimes I get a comment or two.

Savageduck

Old January 7th 21, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Melanie van Buren

On 07/01/2021 18:22, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

Maybe the post is what it is and you're bringing too much baggage into
to the room? There's also more going on in the Newton picture than the
rule of thirds and simply gear. Can you spot it? When did I say I wanted
feedback? It's a starter for discussion.

The best response to a work of art is to produce other work of art. If
you're so good and your equipment so l33t why don't you produce a
similar picture/. All you need is a pair of shoes, fishnet tights or
stockings, and a floor. That's £10-20 max off Ebay. Newton took other
similar pictures. Again, all you need is a pair of shoes and tights or
stockings, and a doorway or flight of steps. I'd expect any moneybags
bigmouth gearhead to rattle something off if it was so easy.

Newton used something like an Olympus OM 10 and Pentax ME super, and a
roll of T-max or Tri-Ex. His favourite lenses were 400mmm or 500mm (his
favourite was 40mm but he mostly used 50mm in practice) and he owned no
more than 3-5 lenses at most. He mostly used midday or nighttime light,
or found light, and rarely anything as high as 500w. Yet, he produced
some very good pictures. which are, to my eyes, more interesting than
pixel peeping crap produced in studios or on location to a bestselling
£19.99 book formula with zillion megapixel 3500 ISO cameras and a wagon
load of junk.

--
Melanie van Buren
Old January 7th 21, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 7, 2021, Incubus wrote
(in article ):

On 2021-01-07, wrote:
[...]

It's a troll.

That is possible, but for now I am prepared to give her the benefit of doubt, and accept that she is trying improve her photography. However, she seems to be going about it in a very awkward way.

Savageduck

Old January 7th 21, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Melanie van Buren

On 07/01/2021 18:34, Incubus wrote:

It's a troll.

**** off.

--
Melanie van Buren
Old January 7th 21, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Melanie van Buren

Maybe actually read what I ****ing wrote?

--
Melanie van Buren
Old January 7th 21, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Melanie van Buren

On 07/01/2021 18:41, Savageduck wrote:

Some of us post images regularly, and some post when the whim urges us to post. I for one make a reasonable contribution of images to this, and some other groups, many times I get no response, sometimes I get a comment or two.

Less lecturing and projecting. Where's your shoe picture? It's a simple
challenge and probably one of the easiest challenges I can think of.

There's more going on in the Newton picture than bog standard rule of
thirds and exposure. This is true of a few of his more complex pictures.
There's also extra narrative layers too so even if a picture was shot
using the best gear and exposed perfectly it would be lacking that extra
something. But the basic challenge remains. How about with all your
flash gear and years of experience actually taking a shoe picture. It's
maybe not quite as easy as you think for a lot of reasons...

--
Melanie van Buren