ADVICE! Big Sur: Read this before upgrading

Old November 12th 20, 11:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
newshound

Default Apple ARM

On 11/11/2020 22:59, David_B wrote:
On 11/11/2020 21:02, newshound wrote:
Hope you are right about that, just ordered an Air with new silicon as
a Christmas present for the wife :-)

I've just done likewise! :-D

Are you expecting it to be delivered already loaded with Big Sur?

Don't know, didn't think about it. Her use will be *very* light, if she
runs into significant problems it will go back.
Old November 12th 20, 12:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
Jaimie Vandenbergh[_2_]

On 12 Nov 2020 at 11:34:38 GMT, "newshound"
wrote:

On 11/11/2020 22:59, David_B wrote:
On 11/11/2020 21:02, newshound wrote:
Hope you are right about that, just ordered an Air with new silicon as
a Christmas present for the wife :-)

I've just done likewise! :-D

Are you expecting it to be delivered already loaded with Big Sur?

Don't know, didn't think about it. Her use will be *very* light, if she
runs into significant problems it will go back.

It will be. There's no prior macOS that supports the M1.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Sent from my Sun 4/60

Old November 12th 20, 01:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
David_B

On 12/11/2020 11:34, newshound wrote:
On 11/11/2020 22:59, David_B wrote:
On 11/11/2020 21:02, newshound wrote:
Hope you are right about that, just ordered an Air with new silicon
as a Christmas present for the wife :-)

I've just done likewise! :-D

Are you expecting it to be delivered already loaded with Big Sur?

Don't know, didn't think about it. Her use will be *very* light, if she
runs into significant problems it will go back.

May I ask what you mean by "it will go back"?

As far as I'm aware, there's no "try before you buy" with Apple products!

I note what Jamie said. That is exactly what I had thought, and the
principal reason I chose to buy now!
Old November 12th 20, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
croy[_2_]

On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 09:29:18 +0000, David_B wrote:

I was captivated! :-)

That's what advertising is supposed to do.

--
croy
Old November 12th 20, 06:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
newshound

On 12/11/2020 13:46, David_B wrote:
On 12/11/2020 11:34, newshound wrote:
On 11/11/2020 22:59, David_B wrote:
On 11/11/2020 21:02, newshound wrote:
Hope you are right about that, just ordered an Air with new silicon
as a Christmas present for the wife :-)

I've just done likewise! :-D

Are you expecting it to be delivered already loaded with Big Sur?

Don't know, didn't think about it. Her use will be *very* light, if
she runs into significant problems it will go back.

May I ask what you mean by "it will go back"?

As far as I'm aware, there's no "try before you buy" with Apple products!

I note what Jamie said. That is exactly what I had thought, and the
principal reason I chose to buy now!

Distance selling regs, if my wife can't get it working.
Old November 12th 20, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
Jaimie Vandenbergh[_2_]

On 12 Nov 2020 at 18:08:44 GMT, "newshound"
wrote:

On 12/11/2020 13:46, David_B wrote:
On 12/11/2020 11:34, newshound wrote:
On 11/11/2020 22:59, David_B wrote:
On 11/11/2020 21:02, newshound wrote:
Hope you are right about that, just ordered an Air with new silicon
as a Christmas present for the wife :-)

I've just done likewise! :-D

Are you expecting it to be delivered already loaded with Big Sur?

Don't know, didn't think about it. Her use will be *very* light, if
she runs into significant problems it will go back.

May I ask what you mean by "it will go back"?

As far as I'm aware, there's no "try before you buy" with Apple products!

I note what Jamie said. That is exactly what I had thought, and the
principal reason I chose to buy now!

Distance selling regs, if my wife can't get it working.

Apple take stuff back within 28 days anyway, have done ever since I
started buying off them in 2004. IIRC they charged a restocking fee
sometime prior to that, at least in America - a local co-worker was
warning me of it when I went over to their office and decided to go
MacBook Air shopping for that first one in the manila envelope.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
d It's OK. I'm an atheist catholic.
g So you just feel guilty for /no readily apparent reason/.

Old November 12th 20, 09:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
geoff

On 2020-11-11 16:02, newshound wrote:

Hope you are right about that, just ordered an Air with new silicon
as a christmas present for the wife :-)

She's very happy with her iPhone and always blames me when she can't
make any of "my" tech work (android, chromebook, windows).

It will be interesting to see how it compares with my 2015 MacBook
Pro (which is still very solid).

I've been prevaricating over a new iMac.Â* Tempting to get the i7 (8
full cores) 2020 version this year or wait until the Mx version.
After the Apple presentation I'm very willing to wait.

Have you watched here?

https://www.apple.com/uk/macbook-air/

I was captivated! :-)

Apple employ the very best advertising psychologists to ensure that you
and your fellow disciples are captivated.

geoff
Old November 12th 20, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
nospam

In article , geoff
wrote:

Apple employ the very best advertising psychologists to ensure that you
and your fellow disciples are captivated.

other than your 'disciples' comment, that's what advertising is
supposed to do, regardless of company.
Old November 12th 20, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
geoff

On 13/11/2020 10:21 am, nospam wrote:
In article , geoff
wrote:

Apple employ the very best advertising psychologists to ensure that you
and your fellow disciples are captivated.

other than your 'disciples' comment, that's what advertising is
supposed to do, regardless of company.

Yes, and Apple's appears to be particularly (the most ?) effective,
engendering generations of adherents many of whom automatically purchase
the next version of Apple anything/everything.

geoff
Old November 12th 20, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
nospam

In article , geoff
wrote:

Apple employ the very best advertising psychologists to ensure that you
and your fellow disciples are captivated.

other than your 'disciples' comment, that's what advertising is
supposed to do, regardless of company.

Yes, and Apple's appears to be particularly (the most ?) effective,

if that were true, apple would have a dominant market share.

since they don't in any segment in which they compete that comment,
like everything else you say about apple, is demonstrably false.

engendering generations of adherents many of whom automatically purchase
the next version of Apple anything/everything.

utter nonsense.