[SI] U photos are Up.

Old February 12th 12, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

Default [SI] U photos are Up.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_u

--
The committee
Next mandate: "Work, Working, Workers..."
Old February 13th 12, 12:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

On 2/12/2012 6:07 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_u

Missing one of mine. Do you need a re-send?

--
Peter
Old February 13th 12, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Paul Furman

PeterN wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_u

Missing one of mine. Do you need a re-send?

I just submitted a late entry.

Nice showing!

All great shots except Alan's utinsels... and Duck's udder, OK, and
Bowser's doggie underpants.. otherwise a stellar set!

;-)
Old February 13th 12, 05:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
MG

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_u

None of the photos have titles / comments.

Are these available?

--
MG

Old February 13th 12, 05:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
MG

"MG" wrote in message ...

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_u

None of the photos have titles / comments.

Are these available?

The title for entry is Untimely

--
MG

Old February 13th 12, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-02-12 15:07:24 -0800, Alan Browne
said:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_u

I am happy to see that the SI hasn't quite faded into oblivion and
still has an element of fun to it.
Thanks to all who played.

Now on to my comments before I head to the dentist and another new
experience, an implant.

Pete Attkins:
Nice nighttime street shot, but like Tony, I struggled to find a "U"
association.

Tim Conway:
Yup! The end result of human consumption, "Ugly"!

Jessica Stevens, welcome to this little zoo:
Umbrellas were not unexpected for this mandate, but you have presented
some unique examples. Personally I liked your first shot of the three
as it evoked the giant garden the oversized daisy promised.

Eric Stevens (I assume this is our NZ Eric):
#1: If those are your underwear much is explained. ;-)
#2: I get the "underpass" but you seem to have metered on the sky above
the bridge, leaving the lower potion of your image in shade and tough
to define. Perhaps an ND Grad for the sky and metering below the bridge
might have worked better. Even HDR might have been interesting.
#3: You have creeks in NZ?

Bowser:
#1: Nice! I like the color, and the repetition down the deck, or pier.
#2: Great! The unicycle capture is the pick of this crop. What is there
to say, but good work and great luck to be there at the right moment,
prepared to take the shot.
#3: OK! I get it, but did Phydeaux really enjoy this modeling job?

Yours truly:
#1: The udder is obvious, but it is probably one of my worst results in
recent memory.After I got out of my car to leisurely take my shots of
the bucolic scene, the cattle standing near the fence, took one look at
me, turned and retreated. This left me fumbling to get at least one or
two udder shots as they swayed away from me at a fair clip. It seems I
held no appeal to this particular group of ladies. ;-)
#2: Just an uncoupled freight car in a siding.
#3: ...and a ewe fo U.

Tony Cooper:
#1: Now that is a bust!
#2: Truly a unique capture, which raises the question; Are you going to
the dogs?
#3: Nice and clean. I really like that shot of the Model "A" dash. I
love the speedo and fuel gauge. I am not sure that the ammeter is
original, I would like to believe the restorer sought out the closest
facsimile.
#4: Underwater, not unexpected from you, but I would have thought in
your case the camera would have been underwater.

Alan Browne:
#1 & #2: I like both of your umbrela shots, both have an imaginative
angle to them.
#3: Your utensils have some lighting an DoF issues even at F/7.1

Peter Newman:
#1: Clever!
#2: Actually not so ugly, I think it is a great shot. The textures
punctuated with that eye are just perfect.

MG:
#1: Technically a nice enough shot, but the tools on the left are distracting.
....and only with your title post was it possible to make the "U" association.

All in all a fair turnout.

Savageduck

Old February 13th 12, 06:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Bowser

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 20:53:19 -0800, Paul Furman
wrote:

PeterN wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_u

Missing one of mine. Do you need a re-send?

I just submitted a late entry.

Nice showing!

All great shots except Alan's utinsels... and Duck's udder, OK, and
Bowser's doggie underpants.. otherwise a stellar set!

What? You've got something against dogs?

;-)

Old February 13th 12, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 10:12:13 -0800, Savageduck

#1: If those are your underwear much is explained. ;-)

Not mine, I'm glad to say. :-)

#2: I get the "underpass" but you seem to have metered on the sky above
the bridge, leaving the lower potion of your image in shade and tough
to define. Perhaps an ND Grad for the sky and metering below the bridge
might have worked better. Even HDR might have been interesting.

I originally expected to get rising the sun shining up the valley onto
the road under the underpass. Instead it appeared over the hill to one
side. The buildings were fully (brightly) illuminated while the valley
was still in deep shadow. Before the sun appeared I knew neither what
the right time would be or the right exposure. I set up the camera on
Aperture priority with the interval timer set to take five series of
shots at three minute intervals. Each Series consisted of five shots
bracketing the measured exposure. The most successful was the one
chosen.

What you saw was what I got, except that the picture as a whole seems
less bright. Maybe it suffered in the conversion from ProPhoto RGB to
sRGB.

#3: You have creeks in NZ?

Mostly paddle-free zones.

Bowser:

#2: Just an uncoupled freight car in a siding.
#3: ...and a ewe fo U.

Tony Cooper:
#1: Now that is a bust!
#2: Truly a unique capture, which raises the question; Are you going to
the dogs?
#3: Nice and clean. I really like that shot of the Model "A" dash. I
#4: Underwater, not unexpected from you, but I would have thought in

#1 & #2: I like both of your umbrela shots, both have an imaginative
angle to them.
#3: Your utensils have some lighting an DoF issues even at F/7.1

Peter Newman:
#1: Clever!
#2: Actually not so ugly, I think it is a great shot. The textures

#1: Technically a nice enough shot, but the tools on the left are distracting.
...and only with your title post was it possible to make the "U" association.

All in all a fair turnout.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old February 13th 12, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-12 23:53 , Paul Furman wrote:
PeterN wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_u

Missing one of mine. Do you need a re-send?

I just submitted a late entry.

Nice showing!

All great shots except Alan's utinsels...

Best of a few bad picks of last minute table top shots. (I agree it's
not good at all).

and Duck's udder, OK, and

I found that udderly charming. Then again I love milk.

Bowser's doggie underpants.. otherwise a stellar set!

Wuuf!

--
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).
Old February 13th 12, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-13 11:58 , tony cooper wrote:
First, thanks to Alan for jumping in and taking the reins. He bugged
us to send in our submissions and posted the results quickly. I do
wish he would have included the comments about the images that he
asked for.

You're right about comments. I'll attend to it asap. The Pbase
management interface is not particularly friendly and I've had a few
glitches getting used to it again.

but where's the unicorn?

SI Rulz: No "creative" photoshopping.