Why use Lightroom if you already have Photoshop??

Old December 18th 08, 11:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Stevens

Default Why use Lightroom if you already have Photoshop??

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:44:55 -0800, John Navas
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:26:09 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote in
:

I've just uninstalled Photoshop Elements. It had a nasty habit which I
just could not stop. Every time I plugged my camera into the computer
it came rushing in to download all my images into whereever it was set
to put them. I didn't like that as I had set Nikon Transfer to do that
job. Several times the two programs fighting over the same camera
messed up downloads. For this reason alone I got to hate Photo Shop
Elements so much that I never used it. I'll stick with NX2 and
Photopaint.

That can be stopped by disabling the transfer agent.
I think there's a Support note on that.
If not, it's in the Support Forum.

Thanks for all who have told me how (?) to do this. I have asked
previously and nobody could give me an answer.

Eric Stevens
Old December 18th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 17:59:28 +1000, Jurgen
wrote:

Jack wrote:
Just wondering. I constantly see posts here and in other NG's WRT to Adobe
Lightroom. I've gone to Adobe's web page to read about it, but I STILL
don't get it. If one already owns Adobe Photoshop (in my case, CS3) what is
the purpose to buying and using Lightroom? Doesn't PS do everything LR
does? Can somebody with a clue help me out here as I seem to be completely
clueless on this issue. TIA.

Jack

You know, It really would have been better to have posted your message
to only one group. That way the plethora of replies wouldn't pollute two
groups everyone reads anyway.

The Agent newsreader shows replies from both groups, but when you read
a reply in one group it marks it read in the other. You only see the
replies in one group.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old December 18th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ofnuts

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:43:41 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:

I've just uninstalled Photoshop Elements. It had a nasty habit which I
just could not stop. Every time I plugged my camera into the computer
it came rushing in to download all my images into whereever it was set

That can be disabled in the PS Elements menus. I'd tell you where, but
I don't recall as it is something you do once and then forget about...

I agree that it should be possible to disable it but - I looked and I
looked and I looked and I looked - I never found how to disable it.

If the camera appears as "mass storage" when connected, try:
- plug in camera,
- right click on matching drive in Explorer
- Go to Properties/Autoplay tab
- select "Pictures" and change behavior.

If connected as "camera", "Digital still camera" or other picture
device, the same may apply... or not (see if the camera shows up in the
explorer).

Software such as HijackThis! may also help locate the system
configuration change which leads to this (like an autorun on some PE
daemon).

I myself always uses card readers, they are much faster anyway.

--
Bertrand
Old December 18th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Jurgen wrote:

You know, It really would have been better to have posted your message
to only one group. That way the plethora of replies wouldn't pollute two
groups everyone reads anyway.

Learn to set follow ups to the 'correct' group.
Those who consistently start x-posted messages to multiple groups a
"Rita", now "Larry Thong", Annika, and the occasional flood of kook
activity.

--
john mcwilliams
Old December 18th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Stephen Bishop wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

How accessible is the database? What if I want to synch that with a web
site built with mySQL & php? What if I decide I don't want to use LR,
can I get my data out in a usable form? Can I import data from a web
site? Say flickr... or my own, or another program?

I would use it to import my web pages, clean that up & standardize, then
export back to my web page and continue to keep those synched.

I don't know, but I would expect the database structure to be
proprietary, but perhaps someone from Adobe could answer your question
about manipulating existing web pages.

I did discover it uses a SQLite database which probably can be exported
with a tool like this: http://www.sqlitemanager.org/ although I assume
it would be risky trying to import that way presumably it would be
possible to develop a plugin.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old December 19th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:

I've just uninstalled Photoshop Elements. It had a nasty habit which I
just could not stop. Every time I plugged my camera into the computer
it came rushing in to download all my images into whereever it was set

That can be disabled in the PS Elements menus. I'd tell you where, but
I don't recall as it is something you do once and then forget about...

I agree that it should be possible to disable it but - I looked and I
looked and I looked and I looked - I never found how to disable it.
This is a criticism of the software/help interface as much as
anything. If it would not let me easily control something as simple as
this, then I didn't want to know it.

It was easy to find and set. I don't have Elements on this machine and
the other one is off, otherwise I'd step by step it for you. But,
really, you should be able to by yourself. It was no big deal to find.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old December 19th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Stevens

wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:

I've just uninstalled Photoshop Elements. It had a nasty habit which I
just could not stop. Every time I plugged my camera into the computer
it came rushing in to download all my images into whereever it was set
That can be disabled in the PS Elements menus. I'd tell you where, but
I don't recall as it is something you do once and then forget about...

I agree that it should be possible to disable it but - I looked and I
looked and I looked and I looked - I never found how to disable it.
This is a criticism of the software/help interface as much as
anything. If it would not let me easily control something as simple as
this, then I didn't want to know it.

It was easy to find and set. I don't have Elements on this machine and
the other one is off, otherwise I'd step by step it for you. But,
really, you should be able to by yourself. It was no big deal to find.

I found something which enabled me to control how it worked. But 'Off'
was not one of the options.

Eric Stevens
Old December 19th 08, 12:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Stephen Bishop

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 05:24:23 GMT, Bubba wrote:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 19:30:39 -0500, Stephen Bishop
wrote:

I'm a busy engineer, too; but I'm also a photographer who uses the
program frequently. I personally had no problem learning it once I
mastered the basics of its interface.

Maybe YOU can tell me then if LR can do local editing -- like removing
a tin can, swapping heads, editing out a watermark... haven't got a
convincing answer to that yet.

If it can't do that, then I don't need it, and it won't be worth
trying to learn it.

bubba

First of all, you shouldn't be wanting to edit out a watermark.
Somebody put that there for a reason. That's like saying you want
to use a scanner to scan dollar bills... :-)

As to the other things, yes you can clone out tin cans, but you can't
swap heads with LR. The program isn't designed for those kinds of
image altering things.

Old December 21st 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jack[_10_]

Thanks for the input from everyone! Lot's to think about.

J.