Why use Lightroom if you already have Photoshop??

Old December 16th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jack[_10_]

Default Why use Lightroom if you already have Photoshop??

Just wondering. I constantly see posts here and in other NG's WRT to Adobe
Lightroom. I've gone to Adobe's web page to read about it, but I STILL
don't get it. If one already owns Adobe Photoshop (in my case, CS3) what is
the purpose to buying and using Lightroom? Doesn't PS do everything LR
does? Can somebody with a clue help me out here as I seem to be completely
clueless on this issue. TIA.

Jack

Old December 16th 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
---------------

"Jack" wrote in message
Just wondering. I constantly see posts here and in other NG's WRT to
Adobe
Lightroom. I've gone to Adobe's web page to read about it, but I STILL
don't get it. If one already owns Adobe Photoshop (in my case, CS3) what
is
the purpose to buying and using Lightroom? Doesn't PS do everything LR
does? Can somebody with a clue help me out here as I seem to be
completely
clueless on this issue. TIA.

Jack

Lightroom is designed for a digital photographer's workflow and image
management needs. There is much in Photoshop that isn't germane to the
needs of a photographer. Lightroom is less expensive and more suited to
someone who wants to tweek photos quickly. Both programs are useful tools
but they are optimized for different purposes.

Old December 16th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
trouble

If you don't know why you need it then you don't need it.
Lightroom is a specialized version of Bridge/ACR.
You can apply tweaks to large numbers of images simultaneously in Bridge but
the interface in Lightroom is more suited to that task as well as organizing
large numbers of similar images.
In truth Adobe should have dumped the bugfest that is still Bridge and
substituted Lightroom but that would kill a revenue stream.
In order to entice people to buy Lightroom as well as Photoshop there are
some modifications of the tools in Photoshop that are only found in
Lightroom, but they are no big deal.
Adobe has gotten into the really bad habit of creating tools that appear to
do the same operation mathematically but calling them different things and
giving them a different graphic interface if the tool appears in Lightroom,
the ACR or the Photoshop desktop. Adobe purposefully does not document the
tools well (read the Photoshop online "help" for an example of what
"obfuscation" means) so that if you look into different books and articles
by "experts" you usually find wildly different interpretations of how the
tools work and how to apply them.
It is sad that a great product like Photoshop has so much marketing
chicanery that negatively impacts its use.

Old December 16th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
tconway

"trouble" wrote in message
[...]

I have Photoshop CS. Would you recommend getting LR as opposed to upgrading
to CS4 or CS5 in time?
tim

Old December 16th 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Beefhooked

"Jack" wrote in message
Just wondering. I constantly see posts here and in other NG's WRT to
Adobe
Lightroom. I've gone to Adobe's web page to read about it, but I STILL
don't get it. If one already owns Adobe Photoshop (in my case, CS3) what
is
the purpose to buying and using Lightroom? Doesn't PS do everything LR
does? Can somebody with a clue help me out here as I seem to be
completely
clueless on this issue. TIA.

Jack

Great question - I have often wondered the same thing.
It`s questions like this, and the answers of course, that keep me coming
back to this group.

Old December 16th 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
tconway

"trouble" wrote in message
[...]

I have Photoshop CS. Would you recommend getting LR instead of upgrading to
CS4 or CS5 in time? I use photoshop solely for photography.
tim

Old December 16th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Markus Fuenfrocken

"Jack" wrote:
Can somebody with a clue help me out here as I seem to be completely
clueless on this issue. TIA.

The best tip i can give you is to load the LR 2.1 (or 2.2 if this is already
out) trial, try it and see for yourself.
Regards,
Markus

Old December 16th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 20:30:26 GMT, "Beefhooked" garybull - nospam -
@bigpond.net.au wrote:

"Jack" wrote in message
Just wondering. I constantly see posts here and in other NG's WRT to
Adobe
Lightroom. I've gone to Adobe's web page to read about it, but I STILL
don't get it. If one already owns Adobe Photoshop (in my case, CS3) what
is
the purpose to buying and using Lightroom? Doesn't PS do everything LR
does? Can somebody with a clue help me out here as I seem to be
completely
clueless on this issue. TIA.

Jack

Great question - I have often wondered the same thing.
It`s questions like this, and the answers of course, that keep me coming
back to this group.

I'm still using Photoshop V7.0. I'm working with a trial version of
Lightroom now just to see if I'm interested. (Free for 21 days from
the Adobe site) So far, the one benefit I see is the ability to
increase/decrease exposure. This has worked out well with some
photographs shot using a circular polarizer. Increasing the exposure
by two stops in LR gives better results than anything I can do in PS7.

One thing, though...there is nothing intuitive about using Lightroom.
It's an absolute bitch to learn what does what. I try this, try that,
and then reset.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old December 16th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Navas[_2_]

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:05:49 +0100, "Markus Fuenfrocken"
wrote in :

"Jack" wrote:
Can somebody with a clue help me out here as I seem to be completely
clueless on this issue. TIA.

The best tip i can give you is to load the LR 2.1 (or 2.2 if this is already
out) trial, try it and see for yourself.

That's a non-trivial suggestion -- my own take is that the learning
curve is pretty high and steep.
--
Best regards,
John
Old December 16th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Navas[_2_]

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:18:45 -0500, tony cooper
wrote in
:

I'm still using Photoshop V7.0. I'm working with a trial version of
Lightroom now just to see if I'm interested. (Free for 21 days from
the Adobe site) So far, the one benefit I see is the ability to
increase/decrease exposure. This has worked out well with some
photographs shot using a circular polarizer. Increasing the exposure
by two stops in LR gives better results than anything I can do in PS7.

You should be able to match it with Levels.