Giving photogs a bad name?

Old June 16th 14, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Silverton[_2_]

Default Giving photogs a bad name?

On 6/16/2014 11:48 AM, PAS wrote:
"Whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Monday, 16 June 2014 15:15:26 UTC+1, PAS wrote:

No, but in many cases there is far too much regulation of ownership.

In which particualar cases would you say are over regulated ?

Where I live, in Suffolk County on Long Island.

In a nutshell, this is the process I had to go through to get my handgun
license and first handgun:

1) Fill out a long application including all previous addresses.
2) Provide three personal references and signed and noarized affadavits
from them
3) The references and my employer were all interviewed
4) I had to be fingerprinted & interviewed
5) I was warned of what could disqualify me from being approved. Among
them was getting a traffic ticket within the application process timeframe.
6) I was approved after approximately six months from the time I applied
7) I can no purchase a handgun. I went to a gun dealer and made my
purchase. But I could not take possession. I had to get a form filled out
by the dealer
8) I take the form to the police department and they review the form and
then must approve the form and stamp it
9) I take the form back to the dealer and then take possession
10) I have to bring the handgun to the police department for their
inspection and then to record the serial number on my license
11) I am only permitted to take the handgun from my home directly to firing
range and then directly back home when finished. I cannot make any stops
along the way, no exceptions. If I do, I can lose my license.

That my friend, is over regulated.

Well, you got your gun! Just think what it would be like in the UK.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Old June 16th 14, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"James Silverton" wrote in message
On 6/16/2014 11:48 AM, PAS wrote:
[...]

True, in the UK it's impossible to get one.

Old June 16th 14, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 6/16/2014 9:04 AM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 6/13/2014 12:31 PM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message

snip

Are you saying that there should e no regulation of ownership of
weapons?
Discussion of the degree of regulation is a different discussion than
whether ownership should be regulated.

No I am not. But there is too much regulation in many cases, as I've
demonstrated.

At least we agree on something. How much is too much, can lead to
interesting discussions. I can see the reasonable logic for the
regulations you have complained about.

Don't we agree on rum raisin too?

And Snowflake & (I think,) Magic Fountain in Mattituck.

--
PeterN
Old June 17th 14, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 6/16/2014 9:04 AM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 6/13/2014 12:31 PM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message

snip

Are you saying that there should e no regulation of ownership of
weapons?
Discussion of the degree of regulation is a different discussion than
whether ownership should be regulated.

No I am not. But there is too much regulation in many cases, as I've
demonstrated.

At least we agree on something. How much is too much, can lead to
interesting discussions. I can see the reasonable logic for the
regulations you have complained about.

Don't we agree on rum raisin too?

And Snowflake & (I think,) Magic Fountain in Mattituck.

LOL, we were just at the Magic Fountain this past weekend. There is another
place in Center Moriches on Montauk Highway - "The Ice Cream Cottage" - that
is really great. They make a chocolate fudge ice cream that has those jelly
rings in it. It's amazing.

Old June 17th 14, 02:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

On 6/16/2014 11:48 AM, PAS wrote:

[...]

yes of course it is, but where do you get these sort of 'facts'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18911651

I'm not sure what "facts" you're speaking of. Am I wrong that in the UK an
"ordinary citizen" like you and I are not permitted to won handguns?

Old June 17th 14, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 6/17/2014 9:00 AM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 6/16/2014 9:04 AM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 6/13/2014 12:31 PM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message

[...]

You are diabetic. WTF are you doing eating that kind of ice cream!
Besides, the only thing that should be added ti ice cream, is small
pieces of fruit, or nuts. Adding jelly of peanut butter to ice cream is
a sacrilege.

--
PeterN
Old June 17th 14, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Silverton[_2_]

On 6/17/2014 11:52 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 09:02:54 -0400, "PAS"
wrote:

I'm not sure what "facts" you're speaking of. Am I wrong that in the UK an
"ordinary citizen" like you and I are not permitted to won handguns?

Some ordinary citizens are dangerous to themselves and/or others.

Seventy year-old L.C. Williams shot himself in the foot yesterday. The
Orlandoan was carrying his gun tucked in the waistband of his trousers
and it dropped to ground. It discharged wounding Williams.
The round ricocheted and did $500 of estimated damages to a Dodge
Charger in the supermarket parking lot where the incident occurred.

I feel badly for the owner of the Dodge Charger.

I trust the insurance company is pursuing Williams to collect damages.
He is lucky that he did not shoot off some of his external equipment.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Old June 17th 14, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 6/16/2014 11:48 AM, PAS wrote:

[...]

Whiskey does not discern between long arms and handguns...

Old June 17th 14, 05:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 6/17/2014 9:00 AM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 6/16/2014 9:04 AM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 6/13/2014 12:31 PM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message

[...]

I "taste", I don't eat. It's difficult but if I want to live than I have to
refrain from eating all that good stuff. My wife gets the ice cream and
I'll have a little taste. Some of the places do have sugar-free Italian Ice
and I usually get that.

Old June 17th 14, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 6/17/2014 9:00 AM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 6/16/2014 9:04 AM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 6/13/2014 12:31 PM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message

[...]

I spent a year in Kansas City in 1985. I didn't have diabetes then. There
was a place called "Cone-a-copia". They served vanilla ice cream, You'd
pick out things from the hundred they offered, such as fresh fruit or Milky
Way bars or whatever. They mash it all up into the ice cream and that
became the flavor. I guess it's similar to the Dairy Queen Blizzard. I'd
usually go with fresh peaches or raspberries.

Giving photogs a bad name? Eric Stevens Digital Photography 9 May 20th 14 12:43 AM
Giving photogs a bad name? Savageduck[_3_] Digital Photography 4 May 18th 14 09:30 PM
Giving up. Pablo Digital Photography 56 November 7th 12 01:50 PM
Giving up Badasghan Lukacina APS Photographic Equipment 0 August 22nd 04 09:11 AM
Giving up Beneactiney Redgrave Film & Labs 0 August 21st 04 10:59 PM