Sandman's Vacation

Old May 7th 14, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Sandman's Vacation

In article , Sandman
wrote:

Also - I might add, a friend of mine and me are seriously talking
about flying to New York (or the east coast) and rent a car for a
crosscountry road trip to the west coast. Would be really awesome.

it is and you should allocate a lot of time to do it because there's
a lot to see.

Yeah, the idea is to make it a two-week trip cross-country. Should suffice
I think.

depends on a lot of things. two weeks is a reasonable amount of time
but it's easy to stretch it out more. it depends how long you want to
stay in one place.

there's a *lot* to see and do and it can easily be 4-6 weeks or even
more if you want.
Old May 7th 14, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , -hh
wrote:

I've done that sort of drive twice (four times if you
include the return) and the phrase "you can't pay me
enough to do that again" comes to mind.

i've done it three times and am looking forward to doing it again.

YMMV.

Sure, there's some says where there's really nice sights
and things to visit...but there's also some profoundly
boring 800-1000 mile segments such as:...

i've driven across iowa and it's anything but boring.

YMMV

there's a lot of very cool stuff to see. i hope to go back soon.

Such as? Do keep in mind that this is particular to
the time spent behind the wheel, not the breaks visiting
cities/parks, etc.

the visits to cities/parks are part of any road trip, but there are a
lot of things to see along the way. you just need to get off the
highway every once in a while, or take a non-highway route. many times
the non-highway routes do not add that more time.

for iowa, i particularly liked brooklyn, known as the community of
flags. it's a tiny little town, with flags from every state in the
country and incredibly friendly people there. there's also a gas
station there that looks like something out of the 1950s, and gas was
quite a bit cheaper there than pretty much anywhere else in iowa.

http://www.brooklyniowa.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Brooklyn_Iowa_20090802_Flags.JPG

other things in iowa include captain james t. kirk's future birthplace.

there's is of course, plenty to see and do in the larger cities,
including des moines, iowa city and davenport.

i've driven across kansas and missouri too. kansas
was nowhere near as boring as people said it would
be and i hope to go back at some point
as well. colorado was exceptionally non-boring.

KS isn't as flat as people assume it to be, which
provides some variety, but it still comes down to
basic the question of just how much "sameness"
(here, farmland/range) can one drive through until
you get to saturation...FWIW, the same is also true
of spending hours in Art Museums and the like too.

maybe if you stay on the highway, but again, the key is to get off the
highway.

dodge city was interesting and *very* good steaks, but what trip to
kansas would be complete without a visit to a wizard of oz museum.
there's one in liberal kansas, which also calls itself the pancake
capital, with an annual pancake festival (i wasn't there for that
though). the main road through town is named pancake boulevard.

the south is likely to be my next road trip.

Golly, you're going to just _love_ I-20 across Texas ;-)

i probably will.

...Just be aware of one-way dropoff fees
as well as open-jaw tickets in the USA: both get
quite expensive quickly.

there is no penalty for buying 1-way tickets anymore and some car
rental agencies do not have drop off fees (or they're minimal).

I just did a spot check look at Hertz (without logging in)
for a notional 3-week (12 July - 2 Aug) car rental.

Baseline was EWR only, which was ~$2.3K for a compact.

For EWR-LAX, it jumped up to $6K ($5998.27)
Reversing the itinerary to LAX-EWR, its $3.7K ($3739.82).

Either way, there was at least a $1400 increase (+60%),
so quite needless to say, astute shopping is merited.

as is finding a suitable discount code.

don't pay rack rate.
Old May 7th 14, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Why do people think Disney World is in Orlando? It's the nearest
large city, and the airport some fly into, but it's not where Disney
World is located. Universal Studios is in Orlando, though.

you'd better tell them that, because they say it is.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/
Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida

Your link directs to a page that does not say that at all.

yes it most certainly does say that.

look at the title.

You're referring to the small line on the tab? That's not on the
page.

it's the page *title* and is in large letters at the top of the window:
http://imgur.com/1Ab8ERB

Even a screen shot doesn't show what you say.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6huzxak0aobedz/disney.JPG

yes it does.

it's only small on your screen because you use tabs, which for one tab
makes no sense, and you can see the "in O..." in the tab anyway.

you are once again, wrong.

There are
many links on that page that take you to other pages, and one of which
is https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/fa...tions-parking/ where it
says:

"Walt Disney World Resort is located southwest of Orlando, off
Interstate 4, west of Florida’s Turnpike."

http://www.visitorlando.com/things-to-do/theme-parks/
Visitors both young and young at heart can immerse themselves in the
world's top theme parks right here in Orlando. From the classic Magic
Kingdom® Park at Walt Disney World® Resort to The Wizarding World of
Harry PotterTM at Universal Orlando® Resort, there's a world for
everyone to escape into!

Why are you linking to this page? It is not a Disney page.

it's one of *numerous* links that came up in a search.

I don't care how many misleading links you find, Disney is not in
Orlando and does not claim to be Orlando. They may use an Orlando
address for some mail, but it's a common practice to use a single mail
address that is not the physical address of a business that has many
locations. But anyone with any smarts at all will see that Disney
World is in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.

the official disney world page says:
Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida

note that it says *in*.

it does not say near, close to or a short drive from orlando, nor does
it say lake buena vista.

it says *in* orlando.

Legoland is in Winter Haven, Florida in Polk County. Pull up a map of
Florida and look how far Winter Haven is from Orlando. It's 47 miles
away.

this isn't about legoland, but regardless, 47 miles is not far at all.

It isn't? What's the fare for a cab ride from a Disney-area hotel to
Winter Haven? Remember, the fare will include a deadhead return.

who said anything about a cab ride? there you go twisting things again.

47 miles is not far. it's under an hour. many people drive a similar
distance every day each way to work.

I love the way you post a link with something in it that destroys your
argument, but when it's brought up you weasel away and say "this isn't
about...".

it doesn't destroy anything.

you did not ask about lego land. you asked about disney world.

information about places *other* than disney world are not relevant.

Well, tit for tat, I'm saying this isn't about a tab. It's about the
page itself.

and that page says *in* orlando.
Old May 7th 14, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Sandman
wrote:

In any case, my concern is mostly that it isn't particularly
uncommon for Europeans to underestimate the distances. For example,
LA to NYC is roughly equal to Lisbon Portugal to Constanta, Romania
(Atlantic to the Black Sea).

If I go to Google Maps and select directions between New York and Los
Angeles and tell it to avoid highways, it tells me it's a 56 hour drive.

google's timings are rather conservative and you can easily beat them,
even at legal speeds.

Now, most road trip guides say one should aim for about 5-6 hours of road
time per day, which means the journey would take just about exactly ten
days (9.3 - 11.2 days), so two weeks should be enough, especially if you're
ok with being on the highway some of the time.

it depends on what you want to see, how far apart they are and how much
time you want to spend at each of them.

something like yellowstone national park is worth staying a couple of
days.

you'll probably want to stay a couple of days in the major cities like
new york, chicago or san francisco.
Old May 7th 14, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Silverton[_2_]

On 5/7/2014 11:34 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Sandman
wrote:

Also - I might add, a friend of mine and me are seriously talking
about flying to New York (or the east coast) and rent a car for a
crosscountry road trip to the west coast. Would be really awesome.

I've done that sort of drive twice (four times if you include the
return) and the phrase "you can't pay me enough to do that again"
comes to mind.

Haha, yeah? Well, the friend I'll be doing this with has done it before,
and I haven't. He liked it though. I think much depends on who you're doing
it with.

that, and what roads you take.

Sure, there's some says where there's really nice sights and things
to visit...but there's also some profoundly boring 800-1000 mile
segments such as:

http://goo.gl/maps/FKu76 http://goo.gl/maps/qEwrl
http://goo.gl/maps/gxc9t

I bet! But I hope the neat things along the way outweight the boring ones

...where the view is 10-15 hours of: http://goo.gl/maps/Zn95R

Also, surely you can traverse the country by smaller roads as well? Which
possibly would lead to some more varied scenery at least. That said, I
don't mind the highway.

definitely get off the highway.

anyone who does a road trip only on highways doesn't know how to road
trip.

highways are for getting somewhere fast, which is not what you want in
a road trip.

I have done the East-West-return trip twice by car. The first was not
entirely successful since two of the occupants stopped speaking to each
other for a week but the second with my wife went very well. I guess the
lesson is that you should know your fellow participants quite well
before taking such a trip.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Old May 7th 14, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

the fact is that just about everyone considers disney world to be in
orlando because just about everything about disney world says it's in
orlando, including disney world themselves.

even the united states post office says it is in orlando.

You've never heard of a large company with multiple locations in an
area using a single mail address for an office that processes and
distributes the mail for all the locations?

except that's not the case here. the address is for the park itself.

as usual, all you want to do is argue.

The post office doesn't *say* where anything is. It says where the
mail goes according to the directions of the person receiving the
mail.

the zip code for walt disney world's address is orlando.
Old May 7th 14, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

On 5/7/2014 6:40 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , -hh
wrote:

Also - I might add, a friend of mine and me are
seriously talking about flying to New York (or
the east coast) and rent a car for a crosscountry
road trip to the west coast. Would be really awesome.

I've done that sort of drive twice (four times if you
include the return) and the phrase "you can't pay me
enough to do that again" comes to mind.

i've done it three times and am looking forward to doing it again.

Sure, there's some says where there's really nice sights
and things to visit...but there's also some profoundly
boring 800-1000 mile segments such as:

http://goo.gl/maps/FKu76

i've driven across iowa and it's anything but boring.

Reminds me of a Family Guy episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FWBxVis49M though it was about Nebraska.

Iowa does have the world's largest Cheeto
http://www.roadchix.com/iowa/cheeto.htm.

I've done the XC trip several times. Long stretches of it are boring but
with the right music and right car it's not too bad.
Old May 7th 14, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-07 16:27:59 +0000, James Silverton

wrote:

[...]

My most bizarre road trip was an early 1970’s (71-72) run from Syracuse
to Columbia, MO, via Dayton, OH in a ubiquitous barely running, faded
red(with primer showing) Ford Econoline van. That took about 36 hours.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/Ford-ECL.jpg

One of my friends at Syracuse had spent two years at Missouri State,
and he had an invitation for a weekend which could not be refused. So,
off we went.

Three of us ended up spending 3 nights in the basement of a Stephens
College (an all female school back then) Sorority house.

The 50 hour return trip took us to St. Louis, MO, Joliet, IL, Chicago,
Gary, IN, Elkhart, IN, Toledo, OH, Erie, PA, Binghamton NY, Syracuse,
NY.

Savageduck

Old May 7th 14, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

nospam wrote:
-hh wrote:

YMMV....

the visits to cities/parks are part of any road trip, but there are a
lot of things to see along the way. you just need to get off the
highway every once in a while, or take a non-highway route. many times
the non-highway routes do not add that more time.

I'd figure +33%.

Be that as it may, its really just a question of how much
time one wants to budget to different activities. The hard
part is in having flexibility to exploit an opportunity, and
the enablers for flexibility include money and time.

for iowa, i particularly liked brooklyn, known as the
community of flags.

Okay, and its now a 400 mile drive WNW into South Dacota
to the next stop in Mitchell, home of the world's largest
corn palace. I'd alternatively suggest Wall, SD, but that's
still another 200 miles down the road, and can be done as at
least a lunch stop before reaching the Badlands & Black Hills.

there's is of course, plenty to see and do in the larger
cities, including des moines, iowa city and davenport.

Including Davenport's "Quad" sister of Bettendorf, where
there's a not-horrible (for America) German resturant (Jumer's).
I can't recall how good or bad their coffee was, though.

KS isn't as flat as people assume it to be, which
provides some variety, but it still comes down to
basic the question of just how much "sameness"
(here, farmland/range) can one drive through until
you get to saturation...

maybe if you stay on the highway, but again, the
key is to get off the highway.

Everything in moderation and balance; even country roads
get monotonous after several hours, and are statistically
are more dangerous per mile...and both will get you to
Ft Hays, KS, except that the fast route gives you "33%"
more time on foot to explore/photo the stop.

the south is likely to be my next road trip.

Golly, you're going to just _love_ I-20 across Texas ;-)

i probably will.

There were two things I recall as vaguely interesting on
that stretch: the highway overpasses/exits were configured
to allow the transport of 'unlimited height' trucks (eg, oil
drilling platforms), and the campground was absolutely
overrun with tarantula spiders.

...Just be aware of one-way dropoff fees
as well as open-jaw tickets in the USA: both get
quite expensive quickly.

there is no penalty for buying 1-way tickets anymore and some car
rental agencies do not have drop off fees (or they're minimal).

I just did a spot check look at Hertz (without logging in)
for a notional 3-week (12 July - 2 Aug) car rental.

Baseline was EWR only, which was ~$2.3K for a compact.
For EWR-LAX, it jumped up to $6K ($5998.27)
Reversing the itinerary to LAX-EWR, its $3.7K ($3739.82).
Either way, there was at least a $1400 increase (+60%),
so quite needless to say, astute shopping is merited.

as is finding a suitable discount code.
don't pay rack rate.

"Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself."

-hh
Old May 7th 14, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-07 19:50:50 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Wed, 07 May 2014 13:45:50 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

except that's not the case here. the address is for the park itself.

Continue to believe that if you wish, but it is incorrect. Disney
World is not in Orlando. This is easily verifiable using several
different sources. You are deluding yourself if you think it is.

http://www.disneyworldaddress.com/ma...om_address.htm

Come visit the area sometime and try to visit Disney World without
leaving the City of Orlando.

as usual, all you want to do is argue.

The post office doesn't *say* where anything is. It says where the
mail goes according to the directions of the person receiving the
mail.

the zip code for walt disney world's address is orlando.

What you are seeing is what the post office calls an "alias". The zip
code 32830 is shown as Orlando, Lk Buena Vis, and Lake Buena Vista.
The physical location is Lake Buena Vista. It also includes locations
in the city of Bay Lake, Florida.

http://www.zip-codes.com/zip-code/32...code-32830.asp

There are about 43,000 U.S. zip codes, but the USPO's database has
over 78,000 records because of alias addresses. A zip code may
include more than one city.

For example, the Zip code 32250 includes some addresses in city of
Jacksonville, FL and all of Jacksonville Beach, FL.

Yup! I live in a rural area 13 miles outside of Paso Robles, where
there is no obvious connection to the town, or any town at all. We
share the 93446 Zip Code with Paso, because our rural USPS deliveries
are sourced from the Paso Robles post office.

Savageduck