Giving up.

Old November 4th 12, 09:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
DanP

Default Giving up.

On Sunday, November 4, 2012 9:28:37 AM UTC, DanP wrote:

I see you have used GIMP to edit this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbley...ream/lightbox/

I have applied Levels and Curves to it
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0jjydj8np...d93ae_o_v1.jpg

Keep the editing simple: cropping, white balance, curves and levels.

DanP
Old November 4th 12, 09:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pablo

George Kerby escribió:

I, for one, think you have some really nice close-ups of insects on your
flickr page. Perhaps you need to allow for "safe" area if your viewfinder
isn't really indicating what will be captured.

Heh. It's a DSLR. My eyesight is a bit pants.

--
Pablo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/
The below is a link to an ad for an apartment
for rent. It may or may not be of interest to photographers.
Follow the link at your peril.
http://paulc.es/piso/index.php
Old November 4th 12, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 11/4/2012 12:41 AM, tony cooper wrote:
On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 02:43:45 +0000, Anthony Polson
wrote:

Working in a camera store/minilab and doing a lot of training of store
staff taught me that most people with cameras take mostly atrocious
images. Occasionally, they get lucky and their snapshot becomes a
work of art which conveys a strong message, backed up with at least a
hint of beauty - or ugliness, if that is your thing.

I spent the better part of three decades in the specialty medical
instrumentation field. First as a salesman, and then as the owner of
company. I employed and trained salesmen.

The company distributed hand-held surgical instruments, surgical
microscopes, medical lasers, and many other products. If you feel
that spending years selling products, and training staff on those
products, qualifies one to use those products or judge the ability of
those who do, then I assume that you would allow me to perform surgery
on you.

I used to be on the board of a medical device company, that manufactured
and sold implantable medical devices. The salespeople were bioengineers,
who were knowledgeable and highly trained. They would be in the OR with
the doctor. Quite often they knew more about the product than the
doctor. It was common practice in that industry for the actual implant
to be done by the salesman, as there was no issue about their
qualifications. Actually the patients benefited because there were fewer
botched procedures. Then a disgruntled nurse blew the whistle, it
developed into a "scandal," and some disciplinary actions were taken. Of
course, lawsuits were filed and quickly settled. Now most places permit
the assistance, provided the salesperson does not touch the patient.
BTW

I'd offer to do a lobotomy on you for starters, but it seems someone
has already done that.

--
Peter
Old November 4th 12, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Strangely enough, in the days before my career in Law enforcement, my
education at Syracuse led me to hospital lab work (Faxton Hospital in
Utica NY) and then six years working for Schering-Plough dealing mainly
with antibiotics, corticosteroids and antibiotic infused adhesives. One
of these adhesives was a methyl methacrylate epoxy with Garamycin used
in hip and knee replacements, and as a result I have been in many an OR
during hip replacement surgery, but I would never have thought myself
capable of doing the work of the orthopedic surgeons I worked with.

Much of that same background led me to my law enforcement work in California.

I'd offer to do a lobotomy on you for starters, but it seems someone
has already done that.

Savageduck

Old November 4th 12, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 16:13:17 +0100, Pablo wrote:

I can't get composition right.

I can't get exposure right.

I can't get the choice of lens right.

I feel I've tried so hard, but I'm seriously thinking of just not
bothering any more.

There must be something that a photographer needs that I just haven't
got.

Or is it the same for everyone ie; one photo out of a thousand is
tolerably presentable?

Perhaps I'll take up golf instead.

What are you photographing and why? Is it from a sense of 'duty' or
something you really want to have a photo of - seems to make some
difference for me.
Old November 4th 12, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 01:57:36 -0800 (PST), DanP
wrote:

On Sunday, November 4, 2012 9:28:37 AM UTC, DanP wrote:

I see you have used GIMP to edit this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbley...ream/lightbox/

I have applied Levels and Curves to it
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0jjydj8np...d93ae_o_v1.jpg

There is something strange about the color of the water.

Old November 4th 12, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 11/4/2012 1:29 PM, tony cooper wrote:

wrote:

[...]

At various times I sold, or my company sold, many implantable medical
products and devices. We carried the Dow Corning line of silicone
implants like the famous mammary implants. At other times, part of
the line was joint replacement products and the various other devices
like screws and plates used by orthopedic surgeons. A big part of the
line was implantable grafts used for heart bypass and other surgical
procedures.

They would be in the OR with the doctor.

I've spent hundreds of hours in surgery as an observer. While I have
assisted in something as minor as holding a retractor, rarely did I
scrub in.

I have been in the OR, only as a patient.

Quite often they knew more about the product than the
doctor.

The product, yes, but not the reason the product was needed or how the
product was used. I have been in surgery advising a surgeon on how to
thread a balloon catheter into an artery, but the need to do so was
based on the doctor's knowledge.

How to use the product, was the reason the rep was present. Recently, my
pacemaker needed some adjustment. While the rep didn't touch the
machine, he was telling the NP what settings to use, and how to test them.

It was common practice in that industry for the actual implant
to be done by the salesman, as there was no issue about their
qualifications.

That used to be the case long ago, but that changed. There was a
famous case when a surgeon implanted a hip joint, but it was set
wrong. The acrylic cement is fast-setting, and the wrongly-set joint
had to be removed and re-set. The surgeon allowed the sales rep
(Zimmer or Howmedica or OEC, but I forget which) to remove it. The
case was widely publicized and, after that, the no-touch rules went
into effect.

Actually the patients benefited because there were fewer
botched procedures. Then a disgruntled nurse blew the whistle, it
developed into a "scandal," and some disciplinary actions were taken. Of
course, lawsuits were filed and quickly settled. Now most places permit
the assistance, provided the salesperson does not touch the patient.
BTW

When we sold US Surgical products (stapling devices), we often went
into surgery and stood at the surgeon's side providing advice on how
the device works. These were staplers for interior use like a lung
wedge resection or vessel anastomosis.

Most of the times I went into surgery was to observe how a product was
used so I could better explain that product in the future to surgeons
who had not used it before. Surgeons used to be very good at allowing
this. They liked being teachers. Hospital administrators don't like
it, though.

So you ARE qualified to do surgery on Anthony Polson.

--
Peter
Old November 4th 12, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Since I went into law enforcement in 1984, I am only authorized to make
surgical incisions with this instrument.
http://db.tt/6WhZXkoD

Savageduck

Old November 4th 12, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

philo wrote:

I consider myself a pretty decent photographer.

If I get one photo out of 500 that is good...I am happy

Since you get only one good photo out of 1000 I suggest you
really look at the whole frame before you snap the shutter.

My proportion of keepers ssems to depend very strongly on how easy it
is to use the camera to see exactly what I'm shooting. That means a
good big clear viewfinder which covers all the frame, plus a good big
LCD which dos the same for those photographs from places I can't
easily get my eye to te viewfinder. Improving the viewfinder and
improving the LCD improved my proportion of keepers.

It looks like my very recent shift from an OVF to an EVF which
previews the effect of the controls on the image is in the process of
making another big step change in the proportion of keepers.

--
Chris Malcolm