Screwed by Canon Rebate

Old December 29th 06, 07:27 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Buck Turgidson

Default Screwed by Canon Rebate

Reading this thread raised my blood pressure. I have always suspected
rebates were a scam, and our Federa agencies don't seem to have much
interest in protecting us.

Not to start a political discussion, but why is our goverment for business
and not the people?

If cloned beef and milk is not harmful, then why NOT label it as such and
let us decide if we want to eat it?

This is the time of year that credit card companies send us privacy
notifications and give us the opportunity to opt out. I can do just about
anything I want on-line with my Citibank credit card, increase my limit, add
a second authorized user, etc. Opt out of their privacy policy? No, I have
to mail a form at my expense to some freaking PO Box in Des Moines and wait
30 days for it to take effect. I guess something like this is too hard to
program on a website. What a crock.

Sorry for the rant. Time for my medication.

Old December 30th 06, 12:51 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Bill

Buck Turgidson wrote:

Reading this thread raised my blood pressure. I have always suspected
rebates were a scam, and our Federal agencies don't seem to have much
interest in protecting us.

Not to start a political discussion, but why is our goverment for business
and not the people?

There are a couple of companies in California who are known to
be rebate scammers (6+ months to pay, don't pay until you go
after them). They've done it for years, and to the best of my
knowledge no government agency has attempted to go after them.
And I don't think that the Virginia AG has gone after Circuit
City for some of their shady practices, despite a large number
of complaints. That's a real shame.

Bill
Old December 30th 06, 05:24 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
M Berger

Buck Turgidson wrote:

Not to start a political discussion, but why is our goverment for business
and not the people?

This is a capitalist society, and corporations have a lot more
money than most individuals. That makes them far more powerful.

If cloned beef and milk is not harmful, then why NOT label it as such and
let us decide if we want to eat it?

How do you *know* it's not harmful? It hasn't been around very long.

This is the time of year that credit card companies send us privacy
notifications and give us the opportunity to opt out. I can do just about
anything I want on-line with my Citibank credit card, increase my limit, add
a second authorized user, etc. Opt out of their privacy policy? No, I have
to mail a form at my expense to some freaking PO Box in Des Moines and wait
30 days for it to take effect. I guess something like this is too hard to
program on a website. What a crock.

As you know, they use the information for sales solicitations so they
can make more money. See #1 above. Of course they don't want to make
it easy for you to keep them from doing it.

Sorry for the rant. Time for my medication.

Share.

Old December 31st 06, 01:52 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Bill

M Berger wrote:

As you know, they use the information for sales solicitations so they
can make more money. See #1 above. Of course they don't want to make
it easy for you to keep them from doing it.

Once again, except for isolated cases, there is no evidence that
this is done.

Bill
Old December 31st 06, 03:08 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Frank

Bill wrote:

M Berger wrote:

As you know, they use the information for sales solicitations so they
can make more money. See #1 above. Of course they don't want to make
it easy for you to keep them from doing it.

Once again, except for isolated cases, there is no evidence that
this is done.

Bill

You gotta be kidding! You got it backwards. The reason you opt out is so
that your private info is not sold to the marketing companies otherwise
when you sign up for their services you agree to allow the info to be sold.
Next time read the fine print as almost every time you sign up for a
service you have to call/write and request to opt out of your personal
info being sold to all marketing companies.
It's just another way for companies to make money off you by selling
your personal information you had to give to them in order to get their
services.
Frank
Old December 31st 06, 04:24 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Bill

Frank wrote:

Bill wrote:

M Berger wrote:

[...]

Let me repeat again what I have already said in this thread. I
do a LOT of rebates. Except for one company (Peachtree), I do
not get any obvious mail/email as a result of my rebate
submissions. Others have confirmed this in earlier threads.
Unless you can prove otherwise FROM YOUR OWN PERSONAL
EXPERIENCE, please stop making claims that cannot be
substantiated.

Bill
Old December 31st 06, 04:35 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03

Do you want to see if your rebate submissions are causing you to get
unsolicited mail? Try this:

Each time you submit a rebate, make a small change to the spelling of
your name - change the middle initial, spell Robert with 2 b's or 2
t's, etc. Make the changes small enough so you won't have any problem
depositing the checks. Keep track of who you send which spelling to.

If you ever get mail addressed to Robbert and/or Robertt, check your
records and you'll know which company sold your name.

Bill wrote:

Old December 31st 06, 05:05 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Malcolm Hoar

In article . com, "DerbyDad03" wrote:
Do you want to see if your rebate submissions are causing you to get
unsolicited mail? Try this:

Each time you submit a rebate, make a small change to the spelling of
your name - change the middle initial, spell Robert with 2 b's or 2
t's, etc. Make the changes small enough so you won't have any problem
depositing the checks. Keep track of who you send which spelling to.

If you ever get mail addressed to Robbert and/or Robertt, check your
records and you'll know which company sold your name.

...the *first* time. Names are sold onto lists which are sold
and resold again and again. So although you know who "leaked"
it first, you won't learn much more. And the initial "leaker"
will likely swear he wasn't responsible.

Besides, most of us are already on heaps of lists. If you
drive, your state DMV probably has a nice little income
out of selling your info.

The best you can do is to sign up for the DMA's opt-out
list. Direct mail is relatively expensive and many companies
are happy to save some money and avoid irritating people
who don't want the junk by respecting that request.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Old December 31st 06, 06:59 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Frank

Bill wrote:

Frank wrote:

Bill wrote:

M Berger wrote:

[...]

Let me repeat what I have said earlier...read the fine print. It usually
states that they have the right to use the personal information you gave
them unless you specifically request the op out form.
It's that simple.
Frank
Old December 31st 06, 01:04 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Arthur Entlich

Sadly, your rant has some merit. All I can say is politicians are not
leaders, they will ultimately do what their constituency wishes, in most
cases, but you need to be clear and heard. Business, although it is not
a voting individual, does often donate to campaigns and political
parties, so they are listened to.

Art