Convert/Remove RAW Files on a Mac

Old March 21st 21, 10:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Convert/Remove RAW Files on a Mac

In article , geoff
wrote:

My real constraint is the SSD on the iMac. It's 500GB, and I got to within
20GB spare recently. Bumping that up to 100GB wasn't too difficult, but it's
made me look a little more carefully at it all. I don't think removing the
RAW
files will save me much space - it's one of a few things I'm looking at. I
don't like keeping things like photos (100GB) and documents (50GB) on remote
sources.

Get a 1TB external drive, or two of them. They cost (effectively) next
to nothing these days !

don't even think about doing that.

1 tb desktop hard drives are tiny and not cost effective. drive makers
aren't even making them that small anymore.

these days, 8-10 tb is the sweet spot.

on the used market, however, 1 tb drives really do cost almost nothing
(a few bucks each) because nobody wants to buy them.
Old March 23rd 21, 10:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
gray_wolf

On 21/03/2021 1:02 am, geoff wrote:
On 16/03/2021 7:08 AM, RJH wrote:
On 15 Mar 2021 at 14:46:04 GMT, "Savageduck"
wrote:

On Mar 15, 2021, RJH wrote
(in article ):

Â* Using an iMac/Big Sur and Photos, and I'd like to free up some space on the
Â* computer and iCloud. I can do this by removing/archiving 1500 RAW files, and
Â* replacing them with compressed copies. Trying to figure out the best way of
Â* going about it.

Â* Would the inbuilt Export/Compress options be best? There doesn't seem to be
Â* way of doing what I need within Photos - so far as I can see, it'd involve a
Â* lot of shifting files out of and back into Photos.

What is the source of these RAW files, phone, or other camera?

DSLR. They're not huge - maybe 15MB each. But I don't need them as RAW.

Is Photos, and iCloud your only only backup/archive?

Time Machine regularly, portable drive occasionally.

If so, you should seriously consider a redundant backup/archive plan for your
RAW files starting with the purchase of an adequate sized portable HDD/SSD
and/or buying more iCloud, or other Cloud storage.

Yes, could do, but . . .

Personally, since memory and storage media (HDD/SSD) is inexpensive these
days, I would be planing that method of backup rather than compressing my RAW
files, and risking file corruption. That way I have an onsite archive with a
potentially redundant expanded iCloud storage.

My real constraint is the SSD on the iMac. It's 500GB, and I got to within
20GB spare recently. Bumping that up to 100GB wasn't too difficult, but it's
made me look a little more carefully at it all. I don't think removing the RAW
files will save me much space - it's one of a few things I'm looking at. I
don't like keeping things like photos (100GB) and documents (50GB) on remote
sources.

Get a 1TB external drive, or two of them. They cost (effectively) next to
nothing these days !

geoff

I've got several inexpensive, Western Digital,4TB sata external drives at Walmart.
I removed them from their case and placed them in my big PC desk machine.
I get transfer speeds in the range of 150+ MB/s