Transferring Photos from iPhone to Windows 10 laptop and "Device is unreachable"

Old November 11th 20, 04:58 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,rec.photo.digital
Arlen Holder

Default Transferring Photos from iPhone to Windows 10 laptop and "Device is unreachable"

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 08:25:51 -0800, sms wrote:

2. Use a machine with Linux to transfer the photos into an NTFS or exFAT
32 partition on the system (or into a USB stick or SD card). This worked
for me. I did not try a VM Linux--I have several machines that dual boot
Ubuntu and I used one of those).

Hi Bbiwy,

I've done this a million times for years where you simply need to be
advised that a dual-boot Windows/Linux will _simultaneously_ copy those
pictures from/to (yes, I said _to_) the iOS visible filesystem!

.... it just works ... read _and_ write ... to _and_ from the iOS device
.... no extra software... to _and_ from Windows ... while booted to Linux!

You can even _keep_ your iTunes abomination on Windows!
o Since you're not booted to Windows (you're accessing r/w Windows' filesystem)

It's trivial, and it requires _zero_ additional software!
o Yes, it's completely native - you use the native Ubuntu/Windows/iOS OS

a. You temporarily boot to native Ubuntu & you connect iOS via USB
b. Then you slide the pictures from the iOS device to Windows
(Yes, I said Windows, even though it's not even booted!)
c. Better yet, you can slide files from Windows _to_ the iOS device!

Scores of screenshots & examples in this old thread:
o An elegant solution to managing digital files on ANY iOS, Android, Windows, or Linux device SIMULTANEOUSLY over USB using zero additional software (other than the native OS)
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/H6T7KqzR_ww

Please see also:
o Simultaneously slide Windows Linux iOS Android files back and forth over USB at 7GB per minute speeds using 100% native devices (no proprietary software needed)
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/WohhLOTCYKw
--
Bringing the TRUTH via tested solutions to Apple users for years.

From: Bbiwy
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 16:00:08 +0100
Le 18/10/2020 à 09:47, Arlen Holder a écrit*:

Step 1: *Delete iTunes*
o Is there any functionality the iTunes abomination does, for a dual-boot
Win/Ubuntu PC that can't be done, better, WITHOUT iTunes?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/F-gWC05h1xQ

Step 2: *Update the driver*
o How to Update iPhone Driver on Windows PC
https://osxdaily.com/2020/05/28/how-update-iphone-driver-windows-pc/

hi,
i have the same probleme:

I removed itunes
I updated the driver
the transfer begins to transfer some mega data
then always crashes in the same place
with the following message "a device attached to the system is not
working properly"

it keeps crashing with the same message

From: sms
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 08:25:51 -0800
On 11/11/2020 7:00 AM, Bbiwy wrote:

snip

hi,
i have the same probleme:

I removed itunes
I updated the driver
the transfer begins to transfer some mega data
then always crashes in the same place
with the following message "a device attached to the system is not
working properly"

it keeps crashing with the same message

There are several solutions that I found:
1. Use Copytrans, $29

2. Use a machine with Linux to transfer the photos into an NTFS or exFAT
32 partition on the system (or into a USB stick or SD card). This worked
for me. I did not try a VM Linux--I have several machines that dual boot
Ubuntu and I used one of those).

3. It might be possible to use Use Wi-Fi Direct instead of USB, if the
problem is the USB connection dropping during large transfers
https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/what-is-wifi-direct-in-windows-10-and-how-to-use-it/

4. Buy a Mac!

No one has ever found the root cause of this problem. There is a
plethora of suggested workarounds which may or may not work.

The problem appears to be caused by some incompatibility with the USB
driver (or hardware) on the Windows PC with the USB hardware on the iOS
device, where the connection is lost, then the connection is
re-established, but the transfer stops when the connection is lost. In
the past, I have seen this issue when running Compaq's proprietary "Meat
Grinder" test (see
https://books.google.com/books?id=4gEAAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT58&lpg=PT58&dq=meat+gri nder+compaq+test&source=bl&ots=af952GqNMr&sig=ACfU 3U3dkcjnAQEzB9UUCK_3aDdNUUDxQA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahU KEwiN7-Ps8PrsAhW1IDQIHfGEC-YQ6AEwG3oECBAQAg)
and we tracked it down to a bug in the Compaq USB driver, which they
then fixed.

I would tend to blame the Windows system for being unable to perform a
sustained high speed transfer, rather than the iPhone. OTOH, this issue
never occurs with our Android phones, only the iPhone.

If you're using a USB 3.0 port you might try is to put an old USB 2.0
hub between the phone and the computer. This would slow the transfer
down to a rate that the Windows box was able to keep up with. I never
thought to try this originally, but the next time I need to transfer
photos from an iPhone to the laptop in question I may do this.

Old November 11th 20, 05:37 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,rec.photo.digital
Arlen Holder

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 16:58:10 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

a. You temporarily boot to native Ubuntu & you connect iOS via USB
b. Then you slide the pictures from the iOS device to Windows
(Yes, I said Windows, even though it's not even booted!)
c. Better yet, you can slide files from Windows _to_ the iOS device!

For Bbiwy and anyone else who still uses the iTunes abomination...

Steve mentioned this in his post to Bbiwy, but I want to be clear.
o All you do is boot to Ubuntu & from then on "it just works"

Notice you don't need the iTunes abomination for read/write to/from iOS.
o You don't need _anything_

What you get, simply by temporarily booting a dual-boot box to Linux is
1. You get to see the _entire visible filesystem_ of the iOS device!
That's a _lot_ more than just photos!
It's videos to your VLC video player on iOS, for example.
It's _everything_ in the entire visible file system on iOS!
For free.

2. You get both read _and_ write to _and_ from that iOS file system!
(with zero additional software other than the native operating system)

3. Once you have that, you also automatically get _everything_ else for free
a. You can slide iOS files to/from *Android* to/from iOS
b. You can slide iOS files to/from *iOS* to/from (another) iOS device
c. You can slide iOS files to/from *Windows* to/from iOS
d. You can slide iOS files to/from *Linux* to/from iOS
e. You can slide iOS files to/from *USB sticks* to/from iOS
f. You can slide iOS files to/from *DVD drives* to/from iOS
g. You can slide iOS files to/from *CD drives* to/from iOS
h. You can slide iOS files to/from *NAS drives* to/from iOS
i. You can slide iOS files to/from *Network shares* to/from iOS
j. You can slide iOS files to/from *sd cards* to/from iOS
etc.

It just works.
--
Please see also: