This is relevant - "Why solid-state disks are winning the argument".

Old November 19th 14, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default This is relevant - "Why solid-state disks are winning the argument".

In article , Tzortzakakis Dimitris
wrote:

SSDs are faster. They have way lower latency. They consume less power.
They take up less space.

Yep!But they still are more expensive than conventional hard drives.

you are paying for speed and reliability. if that isn't important, then
get a hard drive, where capacity is a priority.

I do?I have both, as I am writing after that (both a hard drive and an SSD)

most people have both.

I have an intel 520 series 120 GB that cost 62 euros, as a system disk, I
also have autocad on it, and my only 2 games *wolfenstein new order and
call of duty black ops. It goes without saying that as a data disk I
have a seagate barracuda 1TB for my photos, mp3s, videos and other
programms that there's no room on the SSD for them. I'm very pleased
with my SSD, the PC boots in less than 20 seconds. It is an AMD FX4130 8
GB gigabyte 990XA-UD3 gigabyte nvidia gtx 650 PC.

20 sec to boot is rather slow, but more importantly, who cares how long
it takes to boot. booting is rarely done. sleep the computer when not
in use and it wakes instantly, exactly where you left off.

Yep! I usually turn it off when I'm not using it.

what for? sleep it. there is no need to turn off a computer anymore
unless you have to physically unplug it to move it to another room or
open it up for some perverse reason.

I just couldn't afford
even a 128 GB SSD (to the 120 GB I finally got) but it's enough, for
now. The barracuda ?TB cost as much as the 120 GB SSD, also 62
euros-but the speed difference is tremendouseven with an AMD CPU.

how long ago was that? i bought a 256 gig ssd for about $110 or so
about a month ago, which is about $88 euro.
Old November 19th 14, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Silverton[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

That's a strange way of writing a price; it seems to imply that the Euro
is the European dollar. You can get the Euro symbol (€) by using
ALT-0128 or, if you don't want to do that, use the recognized
trilateral, EUR. I'll just list a few mo
British Pound GBP
US Dollar USD
Canadian dollar CND
Australian dollar AUD
Russian Rouble RUB

If you want others, look on http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Old November 19th 14, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , James Silverton
wrote:

I just couldn't afford
even a 128 GB SSD (to the 120 GB I finally got) but it's enough, for
now. The barracuda ?TB cost as much as the 120 GB SSD, also 62
euros-but the speed difference is tremendouseven with an AMD CPU.

how long ago was that? i bought a 256 gig ssd for about $110 or so
about a month ago, which is about $88 euro.

That's a strange way of writing a price; it seems to imply that the Euro
is the European dollar.

it's a typo. i'm used to typing $.
Old November 19th 14, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-11-19 20:33:28 +0000, James Silverton

wrote:

[...]

With a mac it is simple enough to get to; $, £, €, â‚*, Â¥, ₱, ₽, â‚«, etc.

Savageduck

Old November 19th 14, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

That's a strange way of writing a price; it seems to imply that the
Euro is the European dollar. You can get the Euro symbol (¤) by using
ALT-0128 or, if you don't want to do that, use the recognized
trilateral, EUR. I'll just list a few mo
British Pound GBP
US Dollar USD
Canadian dollar CND
Australian dollar AUD
Russian Rouble RUB

If you want others, look on http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

With a mac it is simple enough to get to; $, £, ¤, ?, ¥, ?, ?, ?, etc.

yep, and with just one keystroke and none of that alt-# nonsense.
Old November 19th 14, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Oregonian Haruspex

On 2014-11-19 15:30:19 +0000, nospam said:

In article , Oregonian Haruspex
wrote:

I see no benefit to those new-fangled "hybrid" drives (really just a HD
with a bigger, smarter cache) because the rust will still be spinning
all the time.

hybrid drives are actually not that great and only slightly better than
a normal hd. it's basically a big cache for recently used files, which
may not be the ones that matter.

Yeah I know. Caching is a gamble anyway but especially when the OS and
the drive aren't talking to each other about it.

apple's fusion drive is a much better solution

It's the same exact thing as any other hybrid SSD but with more
marketing power behind it.

there's a huge, huge difference between an ssd and either of the above.

Yeah I know. That's what I said.

Old November 19th 14, 10:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

wrote:

I see no benefit to those new-fangled "hybrid" drives (really just a HD
with a bigger, smarter cache) because the rust will still be spinning
all the time.

hybrid drives are actually not that great and only slightly better than
a normal hd. it's basically a big cache for recently used files, which
may not be the ones that matter.

Yeah I know. Caching is a gamble anyway but especially when the OS and
the drive aren't talking to each other about it.

they don't need to. the drive cache holds recently accessed blocks with
the assumption they might be needed again.

apple's fusion drive is a much better solution

It's the same exact thing as any other hybrid SSD but with more
marketing power behind it.

it's not the same thing at all.

fusion moves files between ssd and hd based on usage patterns. apps and
documents that are used frequently will end up on ssd and what is
rarely used will be on hd, completely automatically.
Old November 19th 14, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-11-19 21:08:35 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

That's a strange way of writing a price; it seems to imply that the
Euro is the European dollar. You can get the Euro symbol (¤) by using
ALT-0128 or, if you don't want to do that, use the recognized
trilateral, EUR. I'll just list a few mo
British Pound GBP
US Dollar USD
Canadian dollar CND
Australian dollar AUD
Russian Rouble RUB

If you want others, look on http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

With a mac it is simple enough to get to; $, £, ¤, ?, ¥, ?, ?, ?, etc.

yep, and with just one keystroke and none of that alt-# nonsense.

Apparently Throth doesn't handle Unicode too well.

Savageduck

Old November 19th 14, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

With a mac it is simple enough to get to; $, £, ?, ?, ¥, ?, ?, ?, etc.

yep, and with just one keystroke and none of that alt-# nonsense.

Apparently Throth doesn't handle Unicode too well.

i see the correct characters in two different newsreaders.
Old November 19th 14, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-11-19 22:42:37 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

With a mac it is simple enough to get to; $, £, ?, ?, ¥, ?, ?, ?, etc.

yep, and with just one keystroke and none of that alt-# nonsense.

Apparently Throth doesn't handle Unicode too well.

i see the correct characters in two different newsreaders.

....but when you replied the Euro €, Ruble ₽, Peso ₱, Dong ₫, and some
of the others were replaced with "?".

Savageduck