Screwed by Canon rebate.

Old December 29th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John

Default Screwed by Canon rebate.

I know that the institution of rebates is meant to rip you off so I'm
quite anal about paying attention to the details and ALWAYS sending in
the rebate with delivery confirmation. The delivery confirmation at
least minimizes the "Sorry, we never received your rebate" or "Sorry, we
didn't receive your rebate in time" excuses.

I read the rebate forms several times looking for the "gotcha's". I know
I go through way more trouble than I should for $20-$50 but it's the
principle. They make it as annoying as possible to claim a rebate so
that most people won't bother. I'm the one that bothers.

I send in my rebate to Canon along with all the rebate form, purchase
receipt and I cut out the UPC code from the box and put that in the
envelope. My new tactic is to use wide tape and tape the UPC code to
the rebate form.

I checked on my rebate status just now.

Error(s): An original qualifying UPC was not included

Yep. No matter how hard I tried, Canon still managed to screw me over.

Since they want "an original" qualifying UPC", my copy won't suffice.

Canon, the next time I'm in the market for a product I'll remember this
incident.
Old December 29th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Weitzel

John wrote:
[...]

Hi...

I agree, I too want what's promised me, even if it's a penny

Suggestion is to write directly to Canon, tell them (politely) what's
happened. (write them with paper and pen, not email)

I have nothing to cite, but I very very strongly believe that the
rebates are processed by contract "rebate" companies, who have a set
amount of money to rebate, and are "paid" by getting to keep whatever's
left over.

Take care.

Ken
Old December 29th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dan Sullivan

Ken Weitzel wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Keep the leftovers?

Not really.

But rebates are not usually handled by the companies themselves.

Years ago I asked a lens company sales rep how they could give a $50
rebate on a particular lens.

His answer was only one out of ten bothered to send in for the rebate.

IOW a $50 rebate only cost the company $5.

Old December 29th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RonB

Canon, the next time I'm in the market for a product I'll remember this
incident.

You, my friend, are not the only one.

A year ago I bought a laptop package from COMP USA. The package included a
Toshiba laptop, Hawking wireless router, and a Canon printer/copier. I,
like you, expect problems with these rebate offers but the prospect of
cutting about 40% off of the package price provided some determination to
make it work.

COMP USA came across like gangbusters. We had all of their rebate checks
within a few weeks.

Hawking was quick with one check and when they faltered on a second, COMP
USA came across for them too.

CANON was a nightmare. They required three rebate packages to recoup the
$100 cost of the printer. All three went to different mail stops. As I
recall two were for $40 each and one for $20. I just checked my email file
and we sent no less than 19 emails to CANON. About 1/2 of these refer to
about 9 or 10 personal phone conversations I had with their (outsourced)
rebate center. At one point in the process it appeared as though one of the
rebates was going through, then we started all over when they "lost" our
application.

Finally I got one of thier managers on the phone and explained that we had
photocopies of all of the material we sent them; and we had made it a
personal challenge to make sure we got every ^(*&! penney out of them no
matter how long it took. We had most of our money within a few weeks of the
call.

They try to wear you down. Don't let them do it.

RonB

Old December 29th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bryan Olson

RonB wrote:
Canon, the next time I'm in the market for a product I'll remember this
incident.

You, my friend, are not the only one.

A year ago I bought a laptop package from COMP USA. The package included a
Toshiba laptop, Hawking wireless router, and a Canon printer/copier. I,
like you, expect problems with these rebate offers but the prospect of
cutting about 40% off of the package price provided some determination to
make it work.

COMP USA came across like gangbusters. We had all of their rebate checks
within a few weeks.

Hawking was quick with one check and when they faltered on a second, COMP
USA came across for them too.

CANON was a nightmare.

[...]

So even before the Canon dealings, you had one problem out of,
what, four or five rebates?

When the money is going the other way, how often do companies
fail to charge us?

[...]

Good job, thank you. Every time someone fails to collect on a
rebate, it motivates them to inflict more of this crap on us.

--
--Bryan
Old December 29th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just Sue The Bastards

"John" wrote in message
[...]

I'm assuming that you're in the US (because we in Britain get few rebates)

I'm thinking of a Canon camera with a £100 rebate on it - and if I find
myself in your position I will write to them giving them 14 days to honour
their rebate promise, with a warning that legal action will ensue if they
don't pay up.

If nothing is forthcoming I will issue proceedings in the county court
(small claims section) and serve a summons on the *******s.

The cost is £30 - which they have to pay if they [1] wish to settle before
going to court, [2] have to pay if a judgment is obtained against them.

I've used the small claims procedure on two previous occasions - one case
was heard and won, the other was settled prior to a hearing. I no longer
waste time pleading for people to cough up what they owe me - serve a
summons, it's more dignified and it gets very good results.

The important thing is that you don't get into protracted arguments with
them - just warn them, and then sue them..

Old December 29th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Russell

You may be able to start a chargeback procedure against the retailer via
your credit card company. This is a somewhat cumbersome process, but much
easier than going to court, and may get the retailer going to bat for you to
avoid the chargeback.
--

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

Old December 29th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 02:53:51 GMT, "Mike Russell"
-MOVE wrote:

You may be able to start a chargeback procedure against the retailer via
your credit card company. This is a somewhat cumbersome process, but much
easier than going to court, and may get the retailer going to bat for you to
avoid the chargeback.

As I understand credit cards, you won't get any satisfaction from the
retailer this way; the retailer doesn't offer the rebate, and the sale
isn't made with any expectation of getting he rebate from the
retailer.
IOW, the retailer has nothing to do with the rebate.
Unless, of course, the retailer DOES have something to do with the
rebate (COSTCO often handles rebates on items they sall, for
instance).
But, unless the retailer explicitly offers to handle the rebate, the
retailer is out of the loop.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old December 29th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

-MOVE wrote:

You may be able to start a chargeback procedure against the retailer via
your credit card company. This is a somewhat cumbersome process, but much
easier than going to court, and may get the retailer going to bat for you to
avoid the chargeback.

As I understand credit cards, you won't get any satisfaction from the
retailer this way; the retailer doesn't offer the rebate, and the sale
isn't made with any expectation of getting he rebate from the
retailer.
IOW, the retailer has nothing to do with the rebate.
Unless, of course, the retailer DOES have something to do with the
rebate (COSTCO often handles rebates on items they sall, for
instance).
But, unless the retailer explicitly offers to handle the rebate, the
retailer is out of the loop.

They can't be totally out of the loop, given that they are usually
responsible for, at least, providing everything needed to document the
sale, and to make sure everything the rebate requires is provided in the
package. Should they fail to do that, then they could be a party to any
legal action.
Old December 29th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JC Dill

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 14:19:18 -0600, Ron Hunter
wrote:

IOW, the retailer has nothing to do with the rebate.
Unless, of course, the retailer DOES have something to do with the
rebate (COSTCO often handles rebates on items they sall, for
instance).
But, unless the retailer explicitly offers to handle the rebate, the
retailer is out of the loop.

They can't be totally out of the loop, given that they are usually
responsible for, at least, providing everything needed to document the
sale, and to make sure everything the rebate requires is provided in the
package. Should they fail to do that, then they could be a party to any
legal action.

I don't see that the retailer is responsible to "make sure everything
the rebate requires" is provided in the package. However, if the
retailer *advertises* the rebate, then IMHO the retailer is becoming
responsible for ensuring that a properly applied-for rebate is
honored. Otherwise it leaks into "false advertising" on the
retailer's part.

jc

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA