Canon's 5D. Does shallow DOF ever hamper what you do?

Old December 23rd 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Default Canon's 5D. Does shallow DOF ever hamper what you do?

I thought about this after a wedding photography complained that his 5D
was causing problems and that a smaller sensored camera offering better
DOF for a given lens setting got him more usable shots more often.

Old December 23rd 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Scott W

RichA wrote:
I thought about this after a wedding photography complained that his 5D
was causing problems and that a smaller sensored camera offering better
DOF for a given lens setting got him more usable shots more often.

Use a higher f/number, not that hard really.

Scott

Old December 23rd 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Adrian Boliston

"Scott W" wrote in message
ups.com...

Use a higher f/number, not that hard really.

Might not be possible if you are doing indoors avaliable light shots.

cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

Old December 23rd 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Scott W

Adrian Boliston wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message
ups.com...

Use a higher f/number, not that hard really.

Might not be possible if you are doing indoors avaliable light shots.

But the 5D has much lower noise and so you can boost its ISO, this
has been gone over many times, the math works out that there is no
advantage to a smaller sensor in terms of greater DOF.

Scott

Old December 23rd 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Scott W wrote:
Adrian Boliston wrote:
"Scott W" wrote

Use a higher f/number, not that hard really.

Might not be possible if you are doing indoors avaliable light shots.

But the 5D has much lower noise and so you can boost its ISO, this
has been gone over many times, the math works out that there is no
advantage to a smaller sensor in terms of greater DOF.

Scroll down on this page to
"Discussion: Another Way to Look at the Problem"
http://www.clarkvision.com/photoinfo/dof_myth/

The example is two identical cameras, one is miniaturized to half the
size... the larger camera captures more photons so it's aperture can be
stopped down 2 stops and the ISO can boosted 2 stops for the same
exposure time and same signal to noise ratio as the small camera.

In the real world though, with the same lens on a 5D & a 20D the 5D
would not be able to stop down any more than the same lens is capable of
and the 20D would not be able to open up any further so you'd need a
different lens to get comparable results. You'd want a wider faster lens
for the 20D and a longer slower lens with a tighter aperture range for
the 5D to equalize things. So for macro work for example, my 105 micro
nikkor stops down to f/45 and I don't think you can get a 150mm macro
lens that stops down to f/80 or whatever that works out to. On the other
hand if you want to do wide angle shooting with shallow DOF, the 5D
would 'outperform' a 20D, like say a 28mm f/1.4 you simply would not be
able to find an 18mm f/1.0 lens.
Old December 23rd 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Skip

"RichA" wrote in message
ps.com...
I thought about this after a wedding photography complained that his 5D
was causing problems and that a smaller sensored camera offering better
DOF for a given lens setting got him more usable shots more often.

That wedding photographer needs to learn more, or at least think more, about
what he's doing, if nothing else, to know the limitations of his equipment
and what's the fault of the camera and what's the fault of the photographer.
The difference in DOF is so minimal that it shouldn't be a problem. Look at
the difference between f2.8 and f3.5 or f4 sometime, and tell me otherwise.
Too many people buy a camera, expecting it to solve all of their
photographic problems, and are disappointed when it doesn't. I've never
heard an owner of a 1Ds or 1Ds mkII complain in a similar fashion, nor have
I heard experienced photographers who own 5Ds do it, either. Far too often,
it's the photographer, not the equipment, as we've all heard ad nauseum.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old December 23rd 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tom Ross

On 23 Dec 2006 09:37:16 -0800, "RichA" wrote:

I thought

Good! Keep it up. Practice makes perfect, and all that. If you stick
with it long enough one day you may be capable of coherent thought.

about this after a wedding photography complained that his 5D
was causing problems and that a smaller sensored camera offering better
DOF for a given lens setting got him more usable shots more often.

You're worried about a wedding photography [sic] who doesn't know how
to control DOF?

Bringing us back to coherent thought....

TR
Old December 23rd 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Scott W

Paul Furman wrote:
In the real world though, with the same lens on a 5D & a 20D the 5D
would not be able to stop down any more than the same lens is capable of
and the 20D would not be able to open up any further so you'd need a
different lens to get comparable results. You'd want a wider faster lens
for the 20D and a longer slower lens with a tighter aperture range for
the 5D to equalize things. So for macro work for example, my 105 micro
nikkor stops down to f/45 and I don't think you can get a 150mm macro
lens that stops down to f/80 or whatever that works out to. On the other
hand if you want to do wide angle shooting with shallow DOF, the 5D
would 'outperform' a 20D, like say a 28mm f/1.4 you simply would not be
able to find an 18mm f/1.0 lens.

The problem is that if you stop a lens down to f/16 or more diffraction
blurs the photo to the extent that you would not be happy with it. The
problem is that if you stop a lens down to f/16 or more diffraction
blurs the photo to the extent that you would not be happy with it. If
I need more DOF then I can get at f/16 I will most often just go with a
shorter focal length lens.

Scott

Old December 23rd 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Joseph Meehan

RichA wrote:
I thought about this after a wedding photography complained that his
5D was causing problems and that a smaller sensored camera offering
better DOF for a given lens setting got him more usable shots more
often.

He does not know about the tools of his profession. Not all that
unusual among wedding photographers.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old December 23rd 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

RichA wrote:
I thought about this after a wedding photography complained that his
5D was causing problems and that a smaller sensored camera offering
better DOF for a given lens setting got him more usable shots more
often.

I would strongly suggest that you avoid doing business with this particular
wedding "photographer."
He clearly hasn't got a clue.

www.pbase.com/markuson