? for the electricians, engineers

Old July 29th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default ? for the electricians, engineers

I have a Chrometrol (Chromega control) power supply for the Chromega D5
head.

If I turn it on when the Focus switch is on, the high-temp wires that
connect the bulb will arc to the closest piece of steel, and burn into two
parts. I've replaced the wire three times already.

If I turn it on with Focus off, then everything works just fine. Timing is
good. No arcing. (Yep, I know, "Just don't leave Focus on!".

Is there a single part in the supply I might replace to fix this? There
appears to be a large capacitor. What I know about electricity is nada.
Input would be appreciated.

Old July 30th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Bob AZ

j wrote:
. What I know about electricity is nada.
Input would be appreciated.

These power supplies/timer had little adherence to any standards for AC
wiring and as a result things can go bad, particularly when used with
different heads that were not wired as they should be. The only
solution I have ever found is to go through and straighten up the AC
wiring. And then address the problem you have. There should be no
arcing that you describe because the bulb wiring is 24 volts AC.
Usually.

Sometimes there is a stabilizer used with the Chromegatrol but you did
not mention having/using one.

Also the head could possibly be your problem.

I don't recall ever having to replace any capacitors. The regulator in
the Chromegatrol is the usual problem.

Find a technician who has the schematic and understands how Omega does
things.

Bob AZ

Old July 30th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Greg \_\

In article .com,
"Bob AZ" wrote:

\and understands how Omega does
things.

Bob AZ

Or doesn't, Omega quit making that version of the Chromegatrol
4 years ago, they don't even work on them-"No parts"
--
Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old July 30th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

j wrote:
[...]

I wonder if the schematic for this thing is available
somewhere. If the wiring is carrying only 24 volts its hard
to understand how there could be an arc-over. Also, I don't
understand what the orignal poster means by "high voltage
wires", Presumably, nothing in this system shuold be
carrying more than line voltage. The one possibility is an
arc caused by an inductive load without some sort of arc
suppressor. This sort of impuls discharge can burn out the
contacts in switches but arcing from wire is hard to
understand. I think there is quite a bit of missing
information here.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old July 30th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Greg \_\

In article . net,
"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

I wonder if the schematic for this thing is available
somewhere. If the wiring is carrying only 24 volts its hard
to understand how there could be an arc-over. Also, I don't
understand what the orignal poster means by "high voltage
wires", Presumably, nothing in this system shuold be
carrying more than line voltage. The one possibility is an
arc caused by an inductive load without some sort of arc
suppressor. This sort of impuls discharge can burn out the
contacts in switches but arcing from wire is hard to
understand. I think there is quite a bit of missing
information here.

When Omega was repairing Chromegatrols we used to see
a fair number rewired incorrectly by "users." Sometimes this rewiring
caused shorting. Sometimes the Chromegatrol's need new relays there
are two types -one that lays on its side another stands upright the one
that is correct is based on serial number. If the capacitor is bad IIRC
the unit won't function. The switched go bad, the buttons go bad etc.

The biggest problem is getting the PCB am not even sure if its
available anymore-but surely someone that does know electronics could
find the components.

Old July 31st 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"Greg "_"" wrote in message
In article
. net,
"Richard Knoppow" wrote:

[...]

Even if the PCB is no longer available it may be possible
to duplicate it, if its not too complicated, using one of
the PCB kits available.

--
---
Richard Knoppow