OT- Buying new computer, which way to go?

Old June 7th 06, 08:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default OT- Buying new computer, which way to go?

RW+/- wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 07:45:57 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

LOL, your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired. I never
spiked AMD, although I could happily do so on many levels. I spiked
your "recommendations" and choices. AMD started out at the top in my
book, and I still would love to see them succeed. Their main problem
was supporting chips, especially the fully crap VIA chipsets.

"AMD spec crapola"

Perhaps divided by a common language?

Nope, see my above paragraph. IOW's put what I said into context if
you can, like certain film emulsions your brain appears to have
rather high density levels which precludes comprehensive insight and
understanding of known recognizable phrases and words as taught by
old fashioned English professors and teachers. Now if you are a
product of the more current educational systems disregard all the
above as there would be no hope of anything other than hindsight.

I don't consider it productive to continue this argument, as it won't help
the OP get a PC appropriate for his intended application.

Old June 7th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Generally speaking, hardware follows software. Check the requirements
of the packages you are thinking about using. I know my son has a
couple
of games that require a video card with at least 256M of RAM. If
you're
not going to run games that require a video card, the on board graphics
chip set that comes with basic DELLs and GATEWAYs are fine. Even
Adboe's Premiere Elements only requires 256M of RAM. I think 512M
is the minimum but that's just me.

The more disk space you have the better but it's easy to upgrade a
basic DELL or GATEWAY later. I bought a basic GATEWAY machine
last year and I've added a wireless network card, a high end video
card (mostly for my son's games) and a FireWire card. I have 512M
of RAM and a single 72G drive but I'm going to add 512M of RAM
and another 72G disk drive soon, mostly for video. Video takes up
gobs of RAM and disk space. If you're just running something like
Photoshop, 512M of RAM and 72G of disk space is fine.

You can put a system together yourself but you're not going to have
any odd compatibilty problems if you run an Intel machine from DELL
or GATEWAY. You'll probably want to upgrade the monitor from one
of their basic packages. If you're thinking about doing any video
editting, you'll want a machine with either FireWire built in or at
least be able to add a FireWire card. I know Apple had FireWire a
long time before PCs but Apple just doesn't have the all the
applications
that PCs do. MACs are cool and come with all sorts of great built
in applications but PCs have by far the most applications. You can
even find great applications for PCs that are free out on the web.

Old June 15th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

In article ,
says...

"Hunt" wrote in message

[SNIP]

How do I get two monitors hooked up. Is that aspecial graphics card? Can I
use a CRT and LCD together on the same card?

A vid card allowing dual-head option will allow you to hook up two monitors.
In Windows, you set the Desktop to "expand" (sorry, but I forget the actual
syntax here) across both monitors. With some cards, you set this up first with
the card's software, then with Windows. I would assume that it is similar, but
probably easier with MAC, as they have had dual-head displays much longer.

I have a Matrox G-450 dual-head, nVidia Quadra 4500 dual-head and an nVidia
9600 dual-head and they are all pretty much the same with WinME, W2k and
WinXP-Pro. On all of mine, its vid-card setup, MonitorDual tab, then stretch
the desktop in the various Win OS's. There are some considerations on matching
monitors or matching rez settings. On my Matrox with W2K, I can only run one
monitor at 1280x1024 (actually I could bump this one up a notch, but choose
not to), but the other monitor will only go to 1024x986 (?). Both nVidia cards
allow 1280x1024 on both monitors, but they are newer and also have 128MB and
512 MB VRAM. On the Parhalia line of Matrox monitors you can run analog,
analog, analog digital, plus several forms of TV video in a triple-head setup
if you do video editing.

Hunt

Old June 15th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

In article . com,
cjcampbell wrote:

Hunt wrote:
In article ,
says...

"Hunt" wrote in message

[SNIP]

How do I get two monitors hooked up. Is that aspecial graphics card? Can I
use a CRT and LCD together on the same card?

A vid card allowing dual-head option will allow you to hook up two monitors.
In Windows, you set the Desktop to "expand" (sorry, but I forget the actual
syntax here) across both monitors. With some cards, you set this up first
with
the card's software, then with Windows. I would assume that it is similar,
but
probably easier with MAC, as they have had dual-head displays much longer.

The typical Mac desktop has an ADC connector and a DVI connector, so if
you use two Apple Cinema displays you need an ADC to DVI adaptor. My
PowerBook came with one, so I would expect a desktop would, too. You
click on the Apple and choose System Preferences, click displays, and
click the Arrangement button. Deselect the Mirror Displays checkbox and
you now have continuous displays. If you have them reversed, you just
drag the displays on the Arrangement diagram to match what you want.

On current Macs, the ADC connector is gone. Everything is DVI or
mini-DVI now. All Macs except the Mini will now mirror on a second
monitor or allow spanning across two monitors.