My Photos of Hawaii

Old May 5th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default My Photos of Hawaii

Though the images are plentiful, they do not
seem to express the feeling of ther islands.
Having some many images to select from
make the viewer bored and not willing
to continue to search for the gems.
I do understand the taking of so many
images. Especialy when you might
not have a chance to return for a
very long time. That is okay. Yet to
present a photo story, it needs to
be not only the best work. But, short
and to the point. This makes the
viewer want to go there or gives
the viewer enough to feel like they
have seen the beauty themselves.You
must be the editor in this matter. Then
let someone else look at and suggest
what to leave in or take out. One image
may mean a great deal to you. While
it means nothing to a stranger looking
at it for the first time, without knowing
anything of it 'history'.

Keep at it. You do have the making
of a good story. Did you get to travel
the road to Hana? Way to much fun.

Draco

Getting even isn't good enough.

Old May 5th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

I don't know to what you are referring. I have at least 250 pictures
taken from my airplane seat, besides all the photos that I took from
helicopter. To which 31 pics are you referring?

I was referring specifically to pics 1995 thru 2025. But I think you
made my point for me.
-----------------------

I don't recall putting up a photo of a dark parking lot at night.

Pic 0712. Perhaps it's at the airport?
-----------------------

Rest assured, the photos collectively tell a story. They may not all be
artistic masterpieces individually, but they all tell part of the story
about my trip.

Your pics tell a story, alright. They say, "I took too many damn
pictures!"
What you really need is a camcorder so you can post a video rather than
250 stills all showing about the same thing. The impression I get of
your galleries is that they are video captures. All you have really
shown us is that you can push a button thousands of times.

Now don't get me wrong, I love pushing that button as well.
When I went to Hawaii I also took lots of shots out the airplane. I
only chose 3 for my gallery, with this one being the best:
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/36066694
-----------------------------

Of course, what makes a good picture is often based on what one is
looking for.

The point I and others are trying to make is that nobody is gonna wade
through 1300 boring pics in order to seek out the good ones. That's
your job. Show us only the good ones, or if you must tell a story at
least make it the Reader's Digest version.

Old May 5th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On 5 May 2006 01:00:16 -0700, wrote:
Derek Fountain wrote:
wrote:
I asked for advice from these groups prior to my trip to Hawaii in
January. Now, I have a few of my photos available for viewing online.
Photo Albums 0 through 90 represent about 1/4 of the total photos I
took in Hawaii. Please, tell me what you think of them:

http://photos.yahoo.com/imagebuffet

You must be joking - there are hundreds of them.

My last count was just under 1300.

Ye Gods!

Some selectivity, please, if you want people to look at them. To take
one example from the first album I looked at, what's the point of
showing photo PICT1814.JPG (in album 40 Hawaii)? It's a hazed-out
landscape with a few leaves in the foreground. If there was something
about that scene that caught your attention, a caption would be helpful.

And there's a lot of repetition, as well.

I consider myself as having low standards of selectivity for what photos
of mine I put up on the web, and I usually top out at 10%. I was also in
Hawaii, a few weeks earlier than you, and out of the ~900 frames I took,
I put 58 on the web. ( http://ri22.uchicago.edu/~dmsilev/hawaii/ if
anyone cares)

-dms
Old May 5th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Derek Fountain wrote:
Most people of other nationalities would climb a volcano. You know, pull
on boots and use their legs to propel themselves up the side of it? This
results in exercise and a sense of personal achievement. I figured only
an American would recommend driving up one.

You're an idiot.

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
California Photos http://tinyurl.com/ann2l
Old May 5th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
Derek Fountain wrote:
Most people of other nationalities would climb a volcano. You know,
pull on boots and use their legs to propel themselves up the side of
it? This results in exercise and a sense of personal achievement. I
figured only an American would recommend driving up one.

You're an idiot.

As you like. )

Unfortunately, the international image of the typical American, as lazy,
overweight, and totally helpless without a vehicle, is rather too close
to the truth. I myself hiked to the lava flows on Kilauea last year. It
took about 7 hours, including a 20 minute stop to look at the lava
itself. Hardly anyone doing that hike had an American accent (except the
fat guy stranded at the first beacon who was begging people for water).
Old May 5th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Derek Fountain" wrote in message
reenews.net...
TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
Derek Fountain wrote:
Most people of other nationalities would climb a volcano. You know, pull
on boots and use their legs to propel themselves up the side of it? This
results in exercise and a sense of personal achievement. I figured only
an American would recommend driving up one.

You're an idiot.

As you like. )

Unfortunately, the international image of the typical American, as lazy,
overweight, and totally helpless without a vehicle, is rather too close to
the truth. I myself hiked to the lava flows on Kilauea last year. It took
about 7 hours, including a 20 minute stop to look at the lava itself.
Hardly anyone doing that hike had an American accent (except the fat guy
stranded at the first beacon who was begging people for water).

And you're an expert in this area? You have statistics to cite? Or are you
just stereotyping, like an idiot?
And frankly, Americans do not have a reputation as lazy, with only (perhaps)
Germany having a reputation for harder working citizens.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old May 5th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Derek Fountain wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
You should have driven to the top of the volcano.

Ron, I'm guessing you're an American...?

)

Uhhh, yes. What tipped you off?
Old May 5th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Derek Fountain wrote:
You should have driven to the top of the volcano.

Ron, I'm guessing you're an American...?

)

Meaning what, exactly? I can't wait to hear this one.

Most people of other nationalities would climb a volcano. You know, pull
on boots and use their legs to propel themselves up the side of it? This
results in exercise and a sense of personal achievement. I figured only
an American would recommend driving up one.

Well, a person with limited time, or one of somewhat advanced age, or
disability, all of which apply to me, wouldn't even think of hiking 20
miles up, and down a 10,000 foot high mountain, regardless of country of
origin. There are many physical culturalists in the US as well. Every
time I have been to a mountain, I have seen people running, or biking
up, or down. When I visited the Grand Canyon, a guy ran past me waving
his hands in the air, and yelling about how he had run to the bottom,
and back in under 4 hours. My brother made the comment that he was in
'good shape'. I replied, 'Yes, physically.'

When I was there in 1979, the road to the top of Haleakala was the
steepest paved mountain road in the world. You go from sea level to
10,028 feet in about an hour. Temps start in the mid 80's (F.), and go
to about 45 with 40 mph winds at the top, so there is more than one kind
of change to consider. Still, the view is WELL worth the trip.

Old May 5th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Derek Fountain wrote:
TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
Derek Fountain wrote:
Most people of other nationalities would climb a volcano. You know,
pull on boots and use their legs to propel themselves up the side of
it? This results in exercise and a sense of personal achievement. I
figured only an American would recommend driving up one.

You're an idiot.

As you like. )

Unfortunately, the international image of the typical American, as lazy,
overweight, and totally helpless without a vehicle, is rather too close
to the truth. I myself hiked to the lava flows on Kilauea last year. It
took about 7 hours, including a 20 minute stop to look at the lava
itself. Hardly anyone doing that hike had an American accent (except the
fat guy stranded at the first beacon who was begging people for water).

When I went there in 1977, my wife and I walked around in the area,
enjoying the visitor's center. When we went back in 1979, the visitor's
center was gone, and a lot more lava was around. The next day,
eruptions began again, and continue to this day.

When we were younger, and in better health, we did a fair bit of walking
to see the sights, but time constraints often affect what you can do in
the alloted time.