Thank God I don't own any L glass

Old December 21st 05, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Thank God I don't own any L glass

"Little Green Eyed Dragon" wrote
in message
John A. Stovall wrote:

So you let yourself be intimated by a bunch of thugs?

You should have called 911 and had them talking to the police.

Might work, probably not-might make it worse since they
did not do anything to him. They might show up at his house
one night while he was asleep. You just never know.
--

That's when a gun might be justified.

Old December 21st 05, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

In article
,

John A. Stovall wrote:

So you let yourself be intimated by a bunch of thugs?

You should have called 911 and had them talking to the police.

Might work, probably not-might make it worse since they
did not do anything to him. They might show up at his house
one night while he was asleep. You just never know.
--

That's when a gun might be justified.

Better yet a big doggy or two.
--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
Old December 21st 05, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Little Green Eyed Dragon" wrote
in message
In article
,
"Charles Self" wrote:

"Little Green Eyed Dragon"
wrote
in message
John A. Stovall wrote:

So you let yourself be intimated by a bunch of thugs?

You should have called 911 and had them talking to the police.

Might work, probably not-might make it worse since they
did not do anything to him. They might show up at his house
one night while he was asleep. You just never know.
--

That's when a gun might be justified.

Better yet a big doggy or two.
--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
in the middle.

Yeah, well, my dog weights 17 pounds and isn't about to be replaced by a big
brown people eater. I'd prefer a sawed off with 19.5" barrels and #8 shot.

Old December 21st 05, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Charles Self" a écrit dans le message de
"Little Green Eyed Dragon"

wrote
in message

John A. Stovall wrote:

So you let yourself be intimated by a bunch of thugs?

You should have called 911 and had them talking to the police.

Might work, probably not-might make it worse since they
did not do anything to him. They might show up at his house
one night while he was asleep. You just never know.
--

That's when a gun might be justified.

Or it might be a good chance to prove that the pen is mightier than the
sword. Why not write everywhere about this "great" beach and see the thugs
forced out by hordes of new surfers on "their" waves?

Jean

Old December 21st 05, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Slack wrote:
I knew I was taking a risk because at the
very spot I was standing, some 25 years ago a pro photographer got $25K
worth of gear trashed.

25 years ago --- this is the US, right? Eons ago. Now, if it
was in Great Britain, where the Spanish Armada was yesterday ...

You see, the locals don't like pictures of
_their_ place publicized because then the crowds come.

Poor them.

[snip threatening behaviour]

Now, if this same scenario played out while I had a 400/500 L glass
mounted,

Your subject indidates you would have.
Please use "Sometimes a cheap looking lens has added benefits"
the next time.

And don't forget the L lenses serve well as improptu clubs. :-)
-Wolfgang
Old December 21st 05, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2005-12-21T132900Z_01_KRA116811_RTRUKOC_0_US-LIFE-SURFING.xml

Slack wrote:

For those of you who don't surf this might be a little hard to
understand. I stopped by a well known, but very localized, surf spot
today to take a few pictures. I knew I was taking a risk because at the
very spot I was standing, some 25 years ago a pro photographer got $25K
worth of gear trashed. You see, the locals don't like pictures of
_their_ place publicized because then the crowds come.

Old December 21st 05, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Wish I had L Glass

--
"A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing" --
Unknown

Old December 21st 05, 09:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Steve Wolfe wrote:

Wow. So if someone can't take pictures for fear of a policeman
confiscating their gear, it's a heinous crime against humanity, but if they
can't take pictures for fear of being assaulted by beach thugs, nobody
thinks much of it? Wow.

There's a big difference. The original poster chose to go along with the
beach thugs, who were nothing more than that and evidently unarmed. When
it's the police, you don't have a choice.

--
Jeremy |
Old December 21st 05, 10:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

In message .com,
"Siddhartha Jain" wrote:

Yes, because goons are goons and expected to trouble you. Police, on
the other hand, are supposed to protect you so when they do otherwise,
its a big deal.

For the most part, police are used to the fact that people have the
right to photograph in public (where such rights do exist), and that
even they themselves may be photographed. Individual citizens often
imagine that they have rights which they really don't have.
--

John P Sheehy

Old December 22nd 05, 12:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Nice find.. thanks. The beach in question is noted in that article.
Funny they mention the police and undercover police, when I walked back
to my vehicle a cop had just pulled up and another was heading down the
street.
_____
Slack

Slack wrote:

For those of you who don't surf this might be a little hard to
understand. I stopped by a well known, but very localized, surf spot
today to take a few pictures. I knew I was taking a risk because at
the very spot I was standing, some 25 years ago a pro photographer got
$25K worth of gear trashed. You see, the locals don't like pictures of
_their_ place publicized because then the crowds come.