Thank God I don't own any L glass

Old December 21st 05, 01:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Thank God I don't own any L glass

For those of you who don't surf this might be a little hard to
understand. I stopped by a well known, but very localized, surf spot
today to take a few pictures. I knew I was taking a risk because at the
very spot I was standing, some 25 years ago a pro photographer got $25K
worth of gear trashed. You see, the locals don't like pictures of
_their_ place publicized because then the crowds come.

I quickly scanned the area before I got out of my vehicle to check out
the scene. I setup my mono pod, xt w/75-300 el cheapo lens and began
snapping away. There was a dude abut 50 yds away who took notice and
quickly grabbed his cell phone.... a few minutes later another dude
shows up by his side. He walks up to me and asked why I'm taking
pictures. After a couple minutes of assuring him that the pictures are
only for personal use and telling him that I'm well aware of the
_situation_ ; he bids me a Merry Christmas. I returned the sentiment as
he walks away. Not wanting to push my luck, after about 5 minutes I pack
it up and slowly drive away as I wave goodbye.

Now, if this same scenario played out while I had a 400/500 L glass
mounted, it might have had a different ending. If you're not already,
just be aware of your surroundings and where you're shooting.
_____
Slack
Old December 21st 05, 02:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Slack" wrote in message

I quickly scanned the area before I got out of my vehicle to check out
the scene. I setup my mono pod, xt w/75-300 el cheapo lens and began
snapping away. There was a dude abut 50 yds away who took notice and
quickly grabbed his cell phone.... a few minutes later another dude
shows up by his side. He walks up to me and asked why I'm taking
pictures. After a couple minutes of assuring him that the pictures are
only for personal use and telling him that I'm well aware of the
_situation_ ; he bids me a Merry Christmas. I returned the sentiment as
he walks away. Not wanting to push my luck, after about 5 minutes I pack
it up and slowly drive away as I wave goodbye.

Glad you didn't have any further issues. I've got an idea to teach some of
my homies how to surf so I can take them down to PV.

Greg

Old December 21st 05, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

G.T. wrote:

"Slack" wrote in message

I quickly scanned the area before I got out of my vehicle to check out
the scene. I setup my mono pod, xt w/75-300 el cheapo lens and began
snapping away. There was a dude abut 50 yds away who took notice and
quickly grabbed his cell phone.... a few minutes later another dude
shows up by his side. He walks up to me and asked why I'm taking
pictures. After a couple minutes of assuring him that the pictures are
only for personal use and telling him that I'm well aware of the
_situation_ ; he bids me a Merry Christmas. I returned the sentiment as
he walks away. Not wanting to push my luck, after about 5 minutes I pack
it up and slowly drive away as I wave goodbye.

Glad you didn't have any further issues. I've got an idea to teach some of
my homies how to surf so I can take them down to PV.

Greg

Don't be mean; just take your homies out to drainpipes
http://www.globalsurfers.com/uploads/drainpipes.jpg Trust me, they'll
still get a good azz whopping.

Might head there tomorrow for some pictures. I have a feeling it might
be going off.
_____
Slack

Old December 21st 05, 06:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Kyle Jones wrote:
Slack wrote:

For those of you who don't surf this might be a little hard to
understand. I stopped by a well known, but very localized, surf spot
today to take a few pictures. I knew I was taking a risk because at
the very spot I was standing, some 25 years ago a pro photographer got
$25K worth of gear trashed. You see, the locals don't like pictures of
_their_ place publicized because then the crowds come.

So where were you?

On my couch reading about it in one of the surf mags... at least that's
my story and I'm sticking to it. Besides, SOL has passed :-P
_____
Slack
Old December 21st 05, 08:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

[...]

Wow. So if someone can't take pictures for fear of a policeman
confiscating their gear, it's a heinous crime against humanity, but if they
can't take pictures for fear of being assaulted by beach thugs, nobody
thinks much of it? Wow.

steve

Old December 21st 05, 11:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Steve Wolfe wrote:
[...]

Yes, because goons are goons and expected to trouble you. Police, on
the other hand, are supposed to protect you so when they do otherwise,
its a big deal.

- Siddhartha

Old December 21st 05, 11:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Siddhartha Jain" wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve Wolfe wrote:
[...]

Goons are goons even when they wear a blue uniform. Period. Police exist to
protect society as a whole, with individuals falling far down the list.

I don't understand the lack of reaction to what seems to be private thuggery
on what must be a public beach. I do believe I'd pop the old cell phone out
and report an assault, or...?

Old December 21st 05, 12:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Steve Wolfe wrote:
I quickly scanned the area before I got out of my vehicle to check out
the scene. I setup my mono pod, xt w/75-300 el cheapo lens and began
snapping away. There was a dude abut 50 yds away who took notice and
quickly grabbed his cell phone.... a few minutes later another dude
shows
up by his side. He walks up to me and asked why I'm taking pictures.
After
a couple minutes of assuring him that the pictures are only for
personal
use and telling him that I'm well aware of the _situation_ ; he bids
me a
Merry Christmas. I returned the sentiment as he walks away. Not
wanting to
push my luck, after about 5 minutes I pack it up and slowly drive away
as
I wave goodbye.

There aren't many situations where I think packing a gun makes sense,
but this might be one of them. You have a right to stand there and enjoy
the scenery, and if they feel you need to leave then brandishing the gun
should give you plenty of power to leave the scene peacefully. (Note: the
point is self-protection against thuggery, not to enforce my right to stay
there against their will).

Dave

Old December 21st 05, 01:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

In article ,
John A. Stovall wrote:

So you let yourself be intimated by a bunch of thugs?

You should have called 911 and had them talking to the police.

Might work, probably not-might make it worse since they
did not do anything to him. They might show up at his house
one night while he was asleep. You just never know.
--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere