Nikon d70s vs EOS 20d

Old May 4th 05, 12:33 PM
Jeremy Nixon

I wrote:

I dunno about obsolete ones, but anything you can put on the D2x without
breaking the reflex mirror will give you full matrix metering.

Hmm, not actually true -- I guess you don't get matrix metering with
perspective control lenses. Not that you can really meter with those
at all anyway. (And, well, I've never even touched a non-AI lens, so
I don't know if those physically work.)

--
Jeremy |
Old May 4th 05, 03:26 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"vpenoso" wrote in message
I have agonized over these 2 models for nearly a year. I have always been
partial to Nikon, resisted Windows and have only made the jump to digital
format from emulsion 35mm and 4x5 cameras 3 years ago...but the features

on
the Canon 20d are quite impressive but i do not know Canon cameras. Sure

you
see them on the sidelines all the time...either the white lenses or the
black lenses..whatever......6.1 mega pix or 8.1 The new Nikon D70s, is

well
new and hundreds of dollars less than the 20d.

would anyone care to tip the balance for me?

The D70s is not in the same category as the 20D. The D70s competes against
the Canon EOS-350D (Digital Rebel XT).

The 20D is a far more capable camera than the D70s, which would be expected
given the price difference.

The chart below shows which Nikon models are considered to compete against
which Canon models:

Nikon Canon
D50----300D
D70s---350D
D100---20D
D2H----
D2x----1D Mark II
----1Ds Mark II

I suggest you check out my web site, http://digitalslrinfo.com . You can use
the charts and tables to make comparisons.

If you already have a collection of Nikon lenses then the D70s is the
obvious choice.

Old May 4th 05, 03:48 PM
Ben Rosengart

On Tue, 3 May 2005 23:42:08 -0400, vpenoso wrote:
I have agonized over these 2 models for nearly a year.

Go play with 'em in a store. See which one jumps into your lap and
licks your nose.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall
Old May 4th 05, 05:43 PM
james

In article coh.net,
Philip Homburg wrote:

Maybe it is just me, but I prefer to have a working light meter, even
on a digital camera.

I think you're saying that the light meter doesn't work on either the
Nikon or the Canon. One of these might not work exactly the way you'd
like (you don't say which one!) but they certainly both *work*. Don't
they?
Old May 4th 05, 06:25 PM
Jeremy Nixon

james wrote:

Maybe it is just me, but I prefer to have a working light meter, even
on a digital camera.

I think you're saying that the light meter doesn't work on either the
Nikon or the Canon. One of these might not work exactly the way you'd
like (you don't say which one!) but they certainly both *work*. Don't
they?

He was pointing out what I neglected to, that the D70 won't meter with
older manual Nikon lenses. Which really just levels the playing field,
of course, since you can't use older manual Canon lenses on the 20D,
either.

--
Jeremy |
Old May 4th 05, 06:34 PM
Tom Scales

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
ink.net...
"vpenoso" wrote in message
[...]

Steven,

If you had any credibility left, this might be useful, but once again, your
pro-Canon/Anti-Nikon bias comes right through. Your site is a sham.

Old May 4th 05, 07:07 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Ben Rosengart" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 May 2005 23:42:08 -0400, vpenoso wrote:
I have agonized over these 2 models for nearly a year.

Go play with 'em in a store. See which one jumps into your lap and
licks your nose.

Wow, cameras can do that? Seriously, while looking at them in a store is
useful, you also want to look at the differences in functionality, since
these are two cameras that are not in the same segment.

Old May 4th 05, 07:07 PM
blue

vpenoso wrote:
I have agonized over these 2 models for nearly a year.
would anyone care to tip the balance for me?

I'm afraid I have no advice, and might just be making things worse...but...

Have you looked at that Pentax DS at all? From what I've read it might
compare somewhat to the Nikon? It also seems to be reasonably cheap,
and quite compact.

I only ask because I'm considering buying my first DSLR too, and right
now those 3 all look like decent options to me.

Cheers.
Old May 4th 05, 07:13 PM
Ben Rosengart

On Wed, 04 May 2005 18:07:31 GMT, Steven M. Scharf
wrote:

"Ben Rosengart" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 May 2005 23:42:08 -0400, vpenoso wrote:
I have agonized over these 2 models for nearly a year.

Go play with 'em in a store. See which one jumps into your lap and
licks your nose.

Wow, cameras can do that?

Are you kidding me? I was sold on the 20D after a friend's untied
my shoelaces.

Seriously, while looking at them in a store is
useful, you also want to look at the differences in functionality, since
these are two cameras that are not in the same segment.

Segment, schmegment. Mind-forg'd manacles.

Old May 4th 05, 08:02 PM
Sheldon

"blue" no.spam wrote in message ...
vpenoso wrote:
I have agonized over these 2 models for nearly a year. ...
would anyone care to tip the balance for me?

I'm afraid I have no advice, and might just be making things
worse...but...

Have you looked at that Pentax DS at all? From what I've read it might
compare somewhat to the Nikon? It also seems to be reasonably cheap, and
quite compact.

I only ask because I'm considering buying my first DSLR too, and right now
those 3 all look like decent options to me.

I already had a gaggle of Nikkor lenses, so the choice was easy for me. I
like the "kit" lens with the D70 a lot, but non of my other lenses will
meter with the D70 (all older AI lenses), but I don't find it to be a big
problem. I carry a light meter with me, and I can usually make a good guess
and then adjust.