iPad: Apple could sell camel dung to their fans

Old January 30th 10, 11:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Default iPad: Apple could sell camel dung to their fans

In rec.photo.digital RichA wrote:
On Jan 29, 7:54?pm, Charles wrote:
In article , SMS

wrote:
The iPad isn't a laptop without a keyboard, it's essentially a large
iTouch (with the option for 3G). It's likely to be very successful. Who
would buy an eBook reader instead of an iPad?

Old people....

--
Charles

You'll need to be young to read the New York Times in 2 point font on
that TINY screen.

Not necessarily. I'm nearly 70 and I've yet to find the LCD screen
that I can't see the individual coloured pixels on. I can also easily
read the photoreduced compact edition of the full size OED with my
naked eyes, which many people have difficulty reading even with a good
magnifying glass.

No, I don't have remarkably acute vision, and my eyes suffer from the
usual age-related problems. I simply also suffer from the common
eyesight problem which turns my eyes into very effective macro lenses.

I wonder if you actually know enough basic optics to know what I'm
talking about? :-)

--
Chris Malcolm
Old January 30th 10, 12:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Atheist Chaplain[_3_]

"SMS" wrote in message
Alan Browne wrote:

While I looked forward to the iPad, it does lack. Why no USB port? (you
need an adaptor). Why not multitask (eg: put OS X right in there). Why
no hard disk? (there are 7mm, 160 and 250 GB drives out there made just
for things like the iPad).

The iPad isn't a laptop without a keyboard, it's essentially a large
iTouch (with the option for 3G). It's likely to be very successful. Who
would buy an eBook reader instead of an iPad?

Anyone who has ever used e-ink!

--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]

Old January 30th 10, 12:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"nospam" wrote:
In article , David J.
Littleboy wrote:

Battery life is big. The iPad's 10 hours won't be enough for most
trips,
but
the Kindle will be fine. Not having to worry about power on the road
is
big.

you are away from a plug that long?

Yes. I've been making 2-week trips to the states 3 times a year, and the
need to have bricks for everything is a pain. (Fortunately, I won't be
doing
that this year, though.) But any trip with two long flights and a couple
of
nights in-between is going to make 10 hours nowhere near adequate if you
actually use the thing.

that's not a typical usage pattern. no power ports on the planes?

That certainly is a typical usage pattern: one of the main uses for these
things is reading during travel. And no, there aren't any power ports on
planes unless you bring a brick of some sort. (Remember, the point was that
Kindle doesn't need a brick.) And you don't need a power port on the plane,
you need it in your hotel room. Oops, maybe you do. Door to door (2 hrs to
Narita, 12 to Chicago, 2 to Boston) is more than the iPad can handle. Oops.
Back to the drawing board, Steve.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old January 30th 10, 12:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"Atheist Chaplain" wrote:

The iPad isn't a laptop without a keyboard, it's essentially a large
iTouch (with the option for 3G). It's likely to be very successful. Who
would buy an eBook reader instead of an iPad?

Anyone who has ever used e-ink!

That's an enormous advantage the iPad has over the Kindle, from my
standpoint anyway: it's seriously unlikely that I'd be able to find one to
try in Tokyo, whereas its very likely the iPad will show up in the stores I
frequent.

So I'm not likely to become even someone who has tried e-ink. Sigh.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old January 30th 10, 02:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

nospam wrote:
In article , David J.
Littleboy wrote:

Battery life is big. The iPad's 10 hours won't be enough for most
trips, but the Kindle will be fine. Not having to worry about power
on the road is big.

you are away from a plug that long?

Lot of people are.

Will iPad will talk to my home WiFi? My impression is that Kindle
won't.

it works with any wifi network. enter a password if needed. it will
remember the ssid/password and auto-connect next time it sees the
network.

Old January 30th 10, 02:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

nospam wrote:
In article , David J.
Littleboy wrote:

Battery life is big. The iPad's 10 hours won't be enough for most
trips, but
the Kindle will be fine. Not having to worry about power on the
road is big.

you are away from a plug that long?

Yes. I've been making 2-week trips to the states 3 times a year, and
the need to have bricks for everything is a pain. (Fortunately, I
won't be doing that this year, though.) But any trip with two long
flights and a couple of nights in-between is going to make 10 hours
nowhere near adequate if you actually use the thing.

that's not a typical usage pattern. no power ports on the planes?

It is for business people who deal with overseas customers. And contrary to
popular belief every seat on every airliner doesn't have a "power port".

for most people, if it lasts a day or two between charges, it's more
than adequate. they can plug it in at night, or even during the day at
work. no matter what the battery life is, there's always someone who
will want more.

10 hours is not "a day or two".

don't forget, 10 hours is for web surfing on wifi. for listening to
music, it can run for 140 hours.

So how do you read a book on it with the screen off?

Old January 30th 10, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

Atheist Chaplain wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message
Alan Browne wrote:

While I looked forward to the iPad, it does lack. Why no USB port?
(you need an adaptor). Why not multitask (eg: put OS X right in
there). Why no hard disk? (there are 7mm, 160 and 250 GB drives
out there made just for things like the iPad).

The iPad isn't a laptop without a keyboard, it's essentially a large
iTouch (with the option for 3G). It's likely to be very successful.
Who would buy an eBook reader instead of an iPad?

Anyone who has ever used e-ink!

I just don't see the niche for it myself. Would someone explain in 20 words
or less what the ipad does for me? I mean, "The ipod plays lots of music
and fits in a pocket". That's easy to understand. All I'm getting is that
"The ipad does what the newest ipod does but doesn't fit in a pocket".

Old January 30th 10, 03:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 10-01-30 9:31 , J. Clarke wrote:
nospam wrote:
In articleh8OdnYd8A_Nocf7WnZ2dnVY3goWdnZ2d@giganews. com, David J.
wrote:

Battery life is big. The iPad's 10 hours won't be enough for most
trips, but
the Kindle will be fine. Not having to worry about power on the
road is big.

you are away from a plug that long?

Yes. I've been making 2-week trips to the states 3 times a year, and
the need to have bricks for everything is a pain. (Fortunately, I
won't be doing that this year, though.) But any trip with two long
flights and a couple of nights in-between is going to make 10 hours
nowhere near adequate if you actually use the thing.

that's not a typical usage pattern. no power ports on the planes?

It is for business people who deal with overseas customers. And contrary to
popular belief every seat on every airliner doesn't have a "power port".

But more and more do. Likewise trains.

And frankly, even on a 14 hour trip, one is not going to spend all of
it, or even half of it glued to their computer.

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old January 30th 10, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

wrote:

[...]

Last flight on Air Canada (A320) certainly had them at all seats.

(Remember, the point was that
Kindle doesn't need a brick.) And you don't need a power port on the plane,
you need it in your hotel room. Oops, maybe you do. Door to door (2 hrs to
Narita, 12 to Chicago, 2 to Boston) is more than the iPad can handle. Oops.
Back to the drawing board, Steve.

Like you're really going to read or use the iPad for the whole trip?
Like on the 1 or 2 hour transfers you can't find a place to take on
some (if incomplete) charge?

My reasons for not liking the iPad are many, but power is not one of them.

This fellow expresses it eloquently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old January 30th 10, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-01-30 07:25:44 -0800, Alan Browne
said:
-----
This fellow expresses it eloquently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4

Wonderful.
Another rant from the best movie Hitler yet, Bruno Gans in "Downfall."
This scene has been used in several of these YouTube product rants,
this was one of the best he has put together.

Savageduck