iPad: Apple could sell camel dung to their fans

Old February 1st 10, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
whisky-dave

Default iPad: Apple could sell camel dung to their fans

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
whisky-dave wrote:
"Ray Fischer" wrote in message
David J. Littleboy wrote:
"Ray Fischer" wrote:

The iPad looks to me like a bad compromise - it takes the worst
features of the iPod Touch and laptops and really doesn't add much.

Still, the screen should be amazing for photos. The iPod's pretty
cool for photos already. I was out to dinner with friends, and was
able to show them
my pbase images on their iPod.

And what are the odds that you would have been carrying something the
size of an iPad with you at the time?

I woud have thought pretty high, far higher than a mobile phone.
I'd be more likely to take an iPad to a resturant than a mobile phone
or camera.

Why would you do that?

Well you I coudl search for the resturant using it.

To show them my latest photos... ooopsss sorry wrong group ;-)

Why would I want to read a book in a restaurant ?

I was doing a shoot last week it would have been handy then, just to show
them
what I'd taken rather than use the camera's LCD.

Old February 1st 10, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 10-02-01 6:44 , whisky-dave wrote:
wrote in message
On 1/29/2010 6:54 PM, Charles wrote:
In , SMS
wrote:

The iPad isn't a laptop without a keyboard, it's essentially a large
iTouch (with the option for 3G). It's likely to be very successful. Who
would buy an eBook reader instead of an iPad?

Old people....

The various negative things mentioned in his thread (no USB port, no HD,
etc, along with the obvious no KB and other weaknesses) convinced me that
I wouldn't even consider buying one.

Why do those things matter ?
I'd like a higher capacity one say 250GB but perhaps a HD would have made
iPad double in weight and halve the battery life. Not sure what use a USB
port would have.

Many uses including tethering cameras (to be a bit on subject), giving
or receiving files to/from customers/suppliers, and so on and so forth.
My main objection to the given scheme is the necessity of an adaptor
which can be forgotten, lost or even stolen. It's also (pushing this a
little too far) another point of potential failure.

HD in 7mm profiles (160 and 250 GB) exist for such applications. They
might indeed increase the power drain, but I for one think that is an
acceptable trade off. The weight difference (remove 64 GB of flash mem
and add the HD) would be slight - maybe 1/8 pound, if that.

I've had an iPod for years without one, quite happy with the 30 pin lead
that has a USB plug on the end, I even have the adapter that allows me to
connect to a camera so I can download the images to my iPod (30 GB)

Less is more. The iPod has scant room for a USB connector on the body,
the iPad has _oodles_ of room.

I could easily see a USB port on each side - or even one on one side -
though it could support more.

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old February 2nd 10, 12:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
whisky-dave

wrote:

The iPad isn't a laptop without a keyboard, it's essentially a large
iTouch (with the option for 3G). It's likely to be very successful.
Who
would buy an eBook reader instead of an iPad?

Old people....

The various negative things mentioned in his thread (no USB port, no HD,
etc, along with the obvious no KB and other weaknesses) convinced me
that
I wouldn't even consider buying one.

Why do those things matter ?
I'd like a higher capacity one say 250GB but perhaps a HD would have made
iPad double in weight and halve the battery life. Not sure what use a USB
port would have.

Many uses including tethering cameras (to be a bit on subject), giving or
receiving files to/from customers/suppliers,

I've done that with my 30GB iPod via the 30 pin lead and adapter.

and so on and so forth. My main objection to the given scheme is the
necessity of an adaptor which can be forgotten, lost or even stolen.

True but then I'd still prefer the 30 pin port than having several different
ports.
I'd want mini use for cameras, not forgetting the olympus special version.
Firewire, USB A USB B perhaps and infra red, optical I/O, how about a SATA
and ethernet.

depending on use.
It's also (pushing this a
little too far) another point of potential failure.

Weight and cost,

HD in 7mm profiles (160 and 250 GB) exist for such applications. They
might indeed increase the power drain, but I for one think that is an
acceptable trade off. The weight difference (remove 64 GB of flash mem
and add the HD) would be slight - maybe 1/8 pound, if that.

Well they do SSD.
I'd also like more than a days battery life, but I';m betting that addons
will solve
that problem. Then I could buy a 1TB drive.

I've had an iPod for years without one, quite happy with the 30 pin lead
that has a USB plug on the end, I even have the adapter that allows me to
connect to a camera so I can download the images to my iPod (30 GB)

Less is more. The iPod has scant room for a USB connector on the body,
the iPad has _oodles_ of room.

The 30pin socket is larger than the USB socket.

I could easily see a USB port on each side - or even one on one side -
though it could support more.

I'd prefer USB 3, you could charge and dischcharge, but I'm, still not sure
why I'd
want lots of USB connectors. I'd prefer to have one on a camera, but I
don't think they have
them, then I could attach an external HD to my camera.

Old February 2nd 10, 12:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
whisky-dave

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

We'll see how well Apple's sells. Just doesn't look useful to me.

I feel the same way about mobile phones, I don;t have one because I have teh
ability
to be where I say I'll be and at the time I state.
So often I hear I'm getting off the bus, oh look I can see you.

But at least I can see teh use for mobiles especailly for those that can't
organise their life properly.
The world was spinning quite well before mobiles too. I'ts spin better with
an ipad :-)

Old February 2nd 10, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

wrote:

[...]

Maybe you need a USB implanted in your skull and you would finally be happy.
;-)

Old February 2nd 10, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 2/1/10 6:12 PM, in article ,
"nospam" wrote:

In article , Alan Browne