digital vs. medium format

Old April 24th 05, 06:35 PM
Gregory Blank

Alan Browne wrote:

I have never seen a moiré pattern that wasn't visible to the eye when
taken in any scan I've made.

They only appear when the film touches glass, better known as
Newton rings, they are a non issue if your willing to reverse the
film and flip the image back in PS.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old April 24th 05, 09:03 PM
Alan Browne

Gregory Blank wrote:

In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

I have never seen a moiré pattern that wasn't visible to the eye when
taken in any scan I've made.

They only appear when the film touches glass, better known as
Newton rings, they are a non issue if your willing to reverse the
film and flip the image back in PS.

Oh. Thanks, now I'm happy at what I'm missing!

My scanner is all "air" (no contact to glass). If I flip the film then
the focus of the scanner is at the wrong place (despite focussing).
It's never been clear to me if this is really an issue (scanning from
hard side of the film).

And for ICE, I believe it's not possible to properly scan from the wrong
side of the film.

Cheers,
LAan

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old April 25th 05, 12:24 AM
Sander Vesik

In rec.photo.equipment.medium-format Bandicoot wrote:
"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
[SNIP]

The biggest fallacy here is that scanned pixels are much less clean
than digital-original pixels.

? What do you mean? Since a pixel is a pixel, do you mean that in a given
area of even tone, pixels from scanning film will vary more than pixels from
direct digital - or is it something else?

Probably - the follow on to this is compare theresults assuking that the
pixels on film that mismatch digital are wrong and use the difference as a
metric..

Peter

--
Sander