AF SLR with Most Powerful Built-In Flash

Old October 10th 04, 06:03 PM
Alan Browne

Richard H. Weiner wrote:

Mike wrote:

Minolta 800si. Not only is it the most powerful, it zooms.

Mike

I had once looked at going with the 800si, but I found that not only was
this old (ie, no productions anymore) technology but the prices for it
used was nearly as much as a newer model camera.

Hmmm. If the price is holding it must be one hell of a camera.

Old October 10th 04, 07:24 PM
Paul Coen

Must've looked a while ago. A used 800si at KEH in EX+ condition is under
$300. BTW, it is a hell of a camera. My only complaint about the 800si (and
the reason I didn't buy one) is that I find the button / switch interface
on it just too fiddly. It would drive me nuts if I used it with gloves.

I far prefer the dial interface that runs through the 600si, 9 and 7
models. I just bought (finally) a Maxxum 7 since my 600si is starting to
act up (front control wheel is shorting). However, it looks like the Maxxum
7 is either discontinued or is on hiatus while the Maxxum 7D DSLR
production was ramped up. (B&H, Adorama, and Samy's have all had the 7 on
backorder for weeks). Anyone heard anything about it?

Old October 10th 04, 08:39 PM
Alan Browne

Paul Coen wrote:

Maxxum 7 is either discontinued or is on hiatus while the Maxxum 7D DSLR
production was ramped up. (B&H, Adorama, and Samy's have all had the 7
on backorder for weeks). Anyone heard anything about it?

Interesting. I hope the 7 is still in prod., as it has only been out for a
couple years. Perhaps the common parts have been re-routed to the 7D line to
kick that up. The very low price of the 7 ($400 at B&H) is suggestive of "end
of the line", however.

They do have Maxxum 9's in stock at $1,060 so grab it while you can. I have a
feeling that we won't see this class of film camera from K-M for a long time, if
ever.

Cheers,
Alan

Old October 13th 04, 04:40 AM
Mark M

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
John Smith wrote:
For portability.

I understand and I use mine often out of convenience. However there

are
so many advantages, like real power, that for serious things, I tend to
ignore the built in.

It NEVER even occurs to me that my 10D has a built-in flash.
-I simply do not use, or even consider using it in ANY situation.
It's become automatic to grab my 550 and stick it on---almost in the same
motion--while I pull the camera from my bag.

My dad has the 10D as well, and he often wonders why his flash pics don't
measure up. Answer: He uses only the built-in, and it just can't compare.

Sorry I can't offer any suggestions, I am not up on the current

models.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
John Smith wrote:
At one time I thought Nikon N60 had a pretty good flash, but it is no
longer
available.

Any recommendations among the current offerings?

Thanks.

If you want a really powerful flash, why limit yourself to built in
flash?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old October 18th 04, 11:09 AM
Magnus W

Alan Browne wrote in
:

They do have Maxxum 9's in stock at $1,060 so grab it while you can.
I have a feeling that we won't see this class of film camera from K-M
for a long time, if ever.

Film is effectively dead in the 7-9 market. Don't expect another film 7/9.
The naming of the clearly 5-class "Maxxum 70" (aka Dynax 60) should be seen
in this context.

Reports are that both the 7 and 9 are discontinued, even if they still may
be in stock for some time...
Old October 18th 04, 03:27 PM
Alan Browne

Magnus W wrote:

Reports are that both the 7 and 9 are discontinued, even if they still may
be in stock for some time...

What reports? I suppose the low price of the Maxxum 9 and the crash price of
the Maxxum 7 would support the end-of-run theory...

Now suppose there will be a Maxxum F9D? Let's see:

Full metal body with digital and film backs
(Film backs include dark slide)
full frame digital:
12 Mpix CMOS with
18 Mpix CMOS back to follow in a couple years
(regretably, A/S is not available in the film back)
Blue Tooth DL to backpack image tank
PocketWizard transmitter and receiver built-in
(Mamiya won't stand for it)

Cheers,
Alan

Old October 18th 04, 08:47 PM
Paul Coen

I've had a couple of retailers report problems getting the Maxxum 7, and
the indication they got from the vendor channel is that it's basically
discontinued. At the same time, B&H did just manage to get more of them, so
who knows?

With the LCD panel on it, I expect that the 7 is going to have a more
limited shelf life in the used market than the 800si or the 9. Heck, that
panel is one of the reasons I actually bought the Minolta 2-year warranty
extension for the camera. I expect (barring need for shutter adjustments
with that insane top shutter speed) the 9 will have a long, long shelf life
in the used market.