How to develop over-exposed film

Old December 9th 04, 03:32 PM

Default How to develop over-exposed film

You must over-develop it. The common approach of reducing development
of over-exposed film leaves you with very low contrast and a
poor-looking print. By over-developing it, you get some contrast back.
True, the neg will be very dense, but the prints will have better
contrast.

Old December 10th 04, 06:18 PM
ScarpettiKnowsNothing

This is the most useless and incorrect dreck you have posted to date!
Except that you were one of the worlds best printers...THAT one will
stand the test of time as being the most incorrect statement to ever
cross the bandwidth of the net!

Over exposed and over developed negs actually REDUCE contrast and if
you knew anything about B&W, you would know that. Sheesh, try and get
SOMETHING right once in a while.

BTW, I'm STILL waiting for that print you promised about 3 months ago
to show your "talent". Guess we both know you have none.

Old December 10th 04, 07:32 PM
jjs

"ScarpettiKnowsNothing" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is the most useless and incorrect dreck you have posted to date!

(said softly) - Please use quoting, otherwise your post hang unsupported in
the air to look like mad ravings.

Old December 10th 04, 07:42 PM

ScarpettiKnowsNothing wrote:
This is the most useless and incorrect dreck you have posted to date!
Except that you were one of the worlds best printers...THAT one will
stand the test of time as being the most incorrect statement to ever
cross the bandwidth of the net!

Over exposed and over developed negs actually REDUCE contrast and if
you knew anything about B&W, you would know that. Sheesh, try and

get
SOMETHING right once in a while.

BTW, I'm STILL waiting for that print you promised about 3 months ago
to show your "talent". Guess we both know you have none.

Development controls contrast. Longer development means greater
contrast. Overexposure causes loss of contrast. Increasing development
of overexposed negatives will offer better contrast than
underdevelopment of overexposed negatives.

Try it and see.

Old December 10th 04, 07:44 PM

I'm getting some new enlarging equipment. After that.

Old December 10th 04, 07:46 PM

The question is what can you do with an overexposed negative to get the
most contrast (assuming that's what is needed):

1. Under-develop it
2. Develop it normally
3. Over-develop it

Answer: 3

Old December 10th 04, 07:48 PM
ScarpettiKnowsNothing

jjs wrote:
"ScarpettiKnowsNothing" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is the most useless and incorrect dreck you have posted to

date!

(said softly) - Please use quoting, otherwise your post hang

unsupported in
the air to look like mad ravings.

Oppsy. sorry about that. New to the new Google format.

Old December 10th 04, 07:54 PM
ScarpettiKnowsNothing

[...]

No **** Sherlock. But you get to the point, very quickly, that the
increased dev. benefit doesn't work, and in fact decreases your
contrast. With over exposed negs the best is to pull it a little...how
much depends on how over it is. Next is continue with normal
development. Worst is your suggestion.

Now THOSE are facts, and I've got several hundred thousand rolls of
development under my belt to back it up.

Old December 10th 04, 07:54 PM
ScarpettiKnowsNothing

[...]

Who's left in the E6 biz? [email protected] In The Darkroom 49 September 22nd 04 07:23 AM
Toe speed of TMAX 400 (was fridge and heat problems) Richard Knoppow In The Darkroom 192 September 14th 04 01:59 AM
darkroom wannabe EC In The Darkroom 59 September 4th 04 01:45 AM
Kodak on Variable Film Development: NO! Michael Scarpitti In The Darkroom 276 August 12th 04 10:42 PM
Road ruts with Jobo Brian Kosoff In The Darkroom 64 January 27th 04 12:08 AM