Kodak Wratten Gelatin filter no.12 ??????

Old December 1st 04, 09:10 PM
Jean-David Beyer

simon3000 wrote:
thanks for the info everyone.

I have no technical knowledge - i wanted a Kodak Wratten 12 because it
seems to be the one that is always recommended in the field of dry eye
- i believe this is because it absorbs the exact wavelengths emitted
by fluorescein dye
- are there other filters that would absorb the exact same wavelengths
yet be sturdier?

You should be able to obtain glass filters with approximately the same
specifications. The Wrattan filters spectrophotometric curves are in
Kodak's publication B-3. The other manufacturers should also be able to
give you the curves for their filters.

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 15:50:00 up 39 days, 18:45, 3 users, load average: 4.36, 4.20, 4.13

Old December 1st 04, 09:13 PM
simon3000

i couldn't find a wratten 12 filter on the calumet website - they only
seem to sell one particular Kodak Wratten filter which is not a number
12

Simon

Jean-David Beyer wrote in message ...
simon3000 wrote:
Dear All,

I am a medical doctor looking to purchase a Kodak Wratten Gelatin
filter Number 12 for use in assessment of patients with dry eye using
fluorescein tear staining.

I have looked in a number of local photography shops, on ebay, the
kodak website and various other websites but have been unable to find
out where i can buy one.

Can any of you tell me where I can buy one in the UK (preferably via a
website or somewhere that will post it to me)??

Thanks for any help

Simon

This should be available anywhere. It is just a yellow (minus blue)
filter, a little wider attenuation band than the #6, #8, #9, but not as
wide as a #15 or #16.

Calumet, in Chicago, certainly have them:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?PAGE...atin;239;Kodak

I am sure they would be delighted to sell you one and ship it to you.

However, I am sure Kodak in England should be abble to supply you one more
expeditiously. Why not call them and ask where your nearest dealer is that
would supply you with such a filter in retail quantity?

Old December 1st 04, 10:22 PM
Peter

(Jean-David Beyer) wrote:

Calumet, in Chicago, certainly have them:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?PAGE...cat.CatTree&ac.
cat.CatTree.prodIndex.param=02;Camera+Accessories; 007;Camera+Filters;130
;Unmounted+-+Polyester%2C+Gelatin;239;Kodak

I am sure they would be delighted to sell you one and ship it to you.

Calumet operate in the UK too.

Peter

Old December 2nd 04, 03:45 AM
Michael A. Covington

Would an equivalent glass filter do? It is a very common yellow filter, No.
12, but usually made of glass nowadays. The transmission curve is very much
the same.

Old December 2nd 04, 03:47 AM
Michael A. Covington

"simon3000" wrote in message
om...
i couldn't find a wratten 12 filter on the calumet website - they only
seem to sell one particular Kodak Wratten filter which is not a number
12

Simon

Ah! Everybody uses Wratten numbers (except for Nikon, which uses Hoya
numbers; on the other hand Hoya usually uses Wratten numbers)... So a No. 12
yellow filter, of any brand, will be a very close substitute for what you
originally specified.

Old December 2nd 04, 12:05 PM
Richard Knoppow

"simon3000" wrote in message
om...
Dear All,

I am a medical doctor looking to purchase a Kodak Wratten
Gelatin
filter Number 12 for use in assessment of patients with
dry eye using
fluorescein tear staining.

I have looked in a number of local photography shops, on
ebay, the
kodak website and various other websites but have been
unable to find
out where i can buy one.

Can any of you tell me where I can buy one in the UK
(preferably via a
website or somewhere that will post it to me)??

Thanks for any help

Simon

Kodak still makes Wratten gelatin filters, they are sold
by the motion picture division in sizes from 3x3 inches to
14x18 inches. The No.12 is still listed. You may have to buy
this directly from Kodak. Try their UK sales agency:

UNITED KINGDOM
Entertainment Imaging
Kodak Ltd. Kodak House
P.O. Box 66, Station Road
Hemel Hempstead
Herts HP1 1JU England
Phone: +44 1442 845945
Fax: +44 1442 844458

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old December 2nd 04, 01:06 PM
Nick Zentena

Michael A. Covington wrote:

"simon3000" wrote in message
om...
i couldn't find a wratten 12 filter on the calumet website - they only
seem to sell one particular Kodak Wratten filter which is not a number
12

Simon

Ah! Everybody uses Wratten numbers (except for Nikon, which uses Hoya
numbers; on the other hand Hoya usually uses Wratten numbers)... So a No. 12

Or B&W. Does Heliopan use Wratten numbers?

Nick
Old December 2nd 04, 01:15 PM
Tom Phillips

Jean-David Beyer wrote:

simon3000 wrote:
thanks for the info everyone.

I have no technical knowledge - i wanted a Kodak Wratten 12 because it
seems to be the one that is always recommended in the field of dry eye
- i believe this is because it absorbs the exact wavelengths emitted
by fluorescein dye
- are there other filters that would absorb the exact same wavelengths
yet be sturdier?

You should be able to obtain glass filters with approximately the same
specifications. The Wrattan filters spectrophotometric curves are in
Kodak's publication B-3. The other manufacturers should also be able to
give you the curves for their filters.

Wratten Yellow No. 12 is nearly identical to the No. 15 yellow,
but the 15 has very slightly stronger absorption at 500+nm. If
these were being used for photographic purposes there would be
virtually no difference. But with strict scientific use there
may be a difference. The 12 is a minus blue filter and allows
slightly more green-blue wavelengths to pass at 500-600nm.

Calumet USA does have it under Camera Accessories/filters
or do a Calumet search using wratten filters.

Tiffen may also have it in glass.