Kodak Wratten Gelatin filter no.12 ??????

Old December 1st 04, 03:09 PM
simon3000

Default Kodak Wratten Gelatin filter no.12 ??????

Dear All,

I am a medical doctor looking to purchase a Kodak Wratten Gelatin
filter Number 12 for use in assessment of patients with dry eye using
fluorescein tear staining.

I have looked in a number of local photography shops, on ebay, the
kodak website and various other websites but have been unable to find
out where i can buy one.

Can any of you tell me where I can buy one in the UK (preferably via a
website or somewhere that will post it to me)??

Thanks for any help

Simon
Old December 1st 04, 03:34 PM
Jean-David Beyer

simon3000 wrote:
Dear All,

I am a medical doctor looking to purchase a Kodak Wratten Gelatin
filter Number 12 for use in assessment of patients with dry eye using
fluorescein tear staining.

I have looked in a number of local photography shops, on ebay, the
kodak website and various other websites but have been unable to find
out where i can buy one.

Can any of you tell me where I can buy one in the UK (preferably via a
website or somewhere that will post it to me)??

Thanks for any help

Simon

This should be available anywhere. It is just a yellow (minus blue)
filter, a little wider attenuation band than the #6, #8, #9, but not as
wide as a #15 or #16.

Calumet, in Chicago, certainly have them:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?PAGE...atin;239;Kodak

I am sure they would be delighted to sell you one and ship it to you.

However, I am sure Kodak in England should be abble to supply you one more
expeditiously. Why not call them and ask where your nearest dealer is that
would supply you with such a filter in retail quantity?

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 10:25:00 up 39 days, 13:20, 3 users, load average: 4.33, 4.24, 4.22

Old December 1st 04, 03:39 PM
Nick Zentena

simon3000 wrote:
Dear All,

I am a medical doctor looking to purchase a Kodak Wratten Gelatin
filter Number 12 for use in assessment of patients with dry eye using
fluorescein tear staining.

I have looked in a number of local photography shops, on ebay, the
kodak website and various other websites but have been unable to find
out where i can buy one.

Can any of you tell me where I can buy one in the UK (preferably via a
website or somewhere that will post it to me)??

Does it need to be a Kodak? If you ask Lee they might be able to give you
some advice.

http://www.leefilters.com/CP.asp?PageID=119

If it needs to be Kodak then you can always get it from:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=26344&is=REG

I'd be suprised if any good pro type shop in the UK couldn't order it for you.

Nick

Old December 1st 04, 03:46 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"simon3000" wrote

I am a medical doctor looking to purchase a Kodak Wratten Gelatin
filter Number 12 for use in assessment of patients with dry eye using
fluorescein tear staining.

I have looked in a number of local photography shops, on ebay, the
kodak website and various other websites but have been unable to find
out where i can buy one.

Should be a standard item. Try B&H in the US.

Are you sure you want a gel filter? They are awfully fragile. A glass
photographic filter may be a better choice. A #12 is a 'deep yellow',
sort of light orangish, and any camera supplier worth its salt should
have them. You don't need 'Wratten #12', any deep yellow will work.
Snappy-Snaps won't have it.

Also try LEE (&other) theatrical filters. In the US they hand out
little sampler books of 2x3" filters for a nominal fee (free if you
are actually in the theater trade).

Not to belabor the obvious, but have you tried a medical supplier catering
to opthamologists and optometrists.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com
Old December 1st 04, 08:32 PM
simon3000

thanks for the info everyone.

I have no technical knowledge - i wanted a Kodak Wratten 12 because it
seems to be the one that is always recommended in the field of dry eye
- i believe this is because it absorbs the exact wavelengths emitted
by fluorescein dye
- are there other filters that would absorb the exact same wavelengths
yet be sturdier?

Thanks

Simon

"simon3000" wrote

Old December 1st 04, 08:57 PM
Nick Zentena

simon3000 wrote:
thanks for the info everyone.

I have no technical knowledge - i wanted a Kodak Wratten 12 because it
seems to be the one that is always recommended in the field of dry eye
- i believe this is because it absorbs the exact wavelengths emitted
by fluorescein dye
- are there other filters that would absorb the exact same wavelengths
yet be sturdier?

How are you going to use it? Hold it in your hand? Mount it? You can get
glass #12. That should last almost forever if you don't step on it. Or you
could get a sheet of filter material from Lee. Tell them the wavelengths you
need to absorb. That's assuming you can live with the quality of lighting
filters. The stuff is fairly cheap. Letting you treat it like a throw away.

Lee doesn't have much info on it's website but you could look at the Rosco
one.

http://www.rosco.com/us/filters/rosc...SPECIFICATIONS

Pick the filter that provides what you need. Stuff can be cut to size.

Nick

Old December 1st 04, 09:10 PM
Jean-David Beyer

simon3000 wrote:
thanks for the info everyone.

I have no technical knowledge - i wanted a Kodak Wratten 12 because it
seems to be the one that is always recommended in the field of dry eye
- i believe this is because it absorbs the exact wavelengths emitted
by fluorescein dye
- are there other filters that would absorb the exact same wavelengths
yet be sturdier?

You should be able to obtain glass filters with approximately the same
specifications. The Wrattan filters spectrophotometric curves are in
Kodak's publication B-3. The other manufacturers should also be able to
give you the curves for their filters.

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 15:50:00 up 39 days, 18:45, 3 users, load average: 4.36, 4.20, 4.13