Can photo gear bags be washed?

Old March 19th 11, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob

Default Can photo gear bags be washed?

One of my photo bags with built-in padding has an odor. If I dunk the bag in
water to wash it, would it ruin the bag?

I read that memory foam (mattress) cannot be washed because water can get in
but cannot dry out completely. I wonder if this applies to the foam in
photo gear bag. I cannot tell whether it is open cell or closed cell foam.

Old March 19th 11, 03:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 08:42:14 -0700, bob wrote:

One of my photo bags with built-in padding has an odor. If I dunk the
bag in water to wash it, would it ruin the bag?

I read that memory foam (mattress) cannot be washed because water can
get in but cannot dry out completely. I wonder if this applies to the
foam in photo gear bag. I cannot tell whether it is open cell or closed
cell foam.

I would not try to 'wash' the foam. Ever hear of Lysol?
Old March 19th 11, 04:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-03-19 08:57:32 -0700, ray said:

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 08:42:14 -0700, bob wrote:

One of my photo bags with built-in padding has an odor. If I dunk the
bag in water to wash it, would it ruin the bag?

I read that memory foam (mattress) cannot be washed because water can
get in but cannot dry out completely. I wonder if this applies to the
foam in photo gear bag. I cannot tell whether it is open cell or closed
cell foam.

I would not try to 'wash' the foam. Ever hear of Lysol?

Try Febreze

http://www.febreze.com/en-us/odor-pr..._products.aspx

http://www.febreze.com/en-us/odor-pr...microbial.aspx

Savageduck

Old March 19th 11, 07:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Better Info[_6_]

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 09:17:24 -0700, Savageduck

On 2011-03-19 08:57:32 -0700, ray said:

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 08:42:14 -0700, bob wrote:

One of my photo bags with built-in padding has an odor. If I dunk the
bag in water to wash it, would it ruin the bag?

I read that memory foam (mattress) cannot be washed because water can
get in but cannot dry out completely. I wonder if this applies to the
foam in photo gear bag. I cannot tell whether it is open cell or closed
cell foam.

I would not try to 'wash' the foam. Ever hear of Lysol?

Try Febreze

http://www.febreze.com/en-us/odor-pr..._products.aspx

http://www.febreze.com/en-us/odor-pr...microbial.aspx

Yes, try to sell them an expensive commercial product rather than using the
same chemistry and suggest they use a simple solution of baking-soda to
wipe out the inside of their bag.

I would suggest taking out any removable dividers and soaking them in a
solution of baking-soda. Kneading them in the solution so it permeates all
enclosed foam or padding material. Then doing the same with the dividers
inside of a tightly-twisted towel to remove as much as possible. Repeat in
clean water to flush out any excess baking-soda that would later
crystallize into a fine powder when dry and get on your equipment. Do the
same with the bag if you feel that you can let it air-out long enough to
thoroughly dry between any "waterproof" layers. This could take weeks and
weeks of air-drying.

I sincerely doubt your camera bag uses "memory foam". I don't know of any
camera-bag maker would expend that extra cost in lieu of simple profits.
That's not to say they don't exist though.

If the odor is truly offensive, then your best bet is to get rid of the old
one (rather than risk trying to clean it properly) and get a replacement.
Preferably from a different company with more waterproofing so that
internal padding is exempt from absorbing moisture and growing mold and
mildew inside its layers.

During several of my treks I had to take extensive (9+ month) trips into
remote steamy swamps in search of some of the rarest orchids on earth. I
took the extra step of using camping-tent "seam sealer" to seal all
stitching at the edges of all my "waterproof" camera bags and any internal
padded dividers before embarking. (As well as thoroughly dousing any
"water-resistant" cloth surfaces with silicone fabric treatment (tent
"water-proofing").) For the gear that I didn't really need to seal into a
truly-waterproof Pelican case. They might claim that soft-bags are
"water-proof", but this doesn't include the pinholes from stitching. If you
shoot under similar risky conditions you might want to do the same, use
tent seam-sealer, with any new camera-bag(s) you might purchase to stop the
problem before it even happens.

Old March 19th 11, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael Black[_2_]

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011, bob wrote:

One of my photo bags with built-in padding has an odor. If I dunk the bag in
water to wash it, would it ruin the bag?

I read that memory foam (mattress) cannot be washed because water can get in
but cannot dry out completely. I wonder if this applies to the foam in photo
gear bag. I cannot tell whether it is open cell or closed cell foam.

I've washed knapsacks with foam padding. It's just a matter of drying it
properly. Same thing with insulated booties, the sole is foam and they
take longer to dry than some things, but they dry.

The matresses may not work so well because of the material that contains
it. I don't know what it is, never been close to one, but if it contains
the contents too much, then the water might get in but never get out, an
issue not with foam but the material that encapsulates it.

If the bag smells so bad that you don't want to use it, then it won't
matter. Either washing it gets rid of the problem, or kills it, if
you stopped using the bag due to smell, you're now ahead now matter
which way it goes.

Michael

Old March 19th 11, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 16:24:21 -0700 (PDT), Vance
wrote:

The other important caveat is the nature of the odor. Some odors, cat
****, for example, will probably be best treated with something like
an enzyme based deoderizer and then washed. You can usually find it
where they rent carpet steam cleaners.

Cat **** odor is best treated with fire. Soak the bag in gasoline,
light it, and walk away. Never return.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 20th 11, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Outing Thieviing-Trolls is FUN!

http://www.febreze.com/en-us/odor-problems/febreze_products.aspx

http://www.febreze.com/en-us/odor-pr...ic_refresher_a...

Yes, try to sell them an expensive commercial product rather than using the
same chemistry and suggest they use a simple solution of baking-soda to
wipe out the inside of their bag.

The breadth of your ignorance and the shallowness of your thinking is
only eclipsed by your confidence in it.

You might want to look up the chemistry of cyclodextrin, which is the
odor trapping ingredient in Febreez. So much for the 'using the same
chemistry.' To add insult to injury, if you look up the basic
mechanism that allows baking soda to absorb odors, in a much more
limited fashion than is popularly thought, you will find the mechanics
are totally different.

Specifically, Febreez is hydroxypropyl beta- cyclodextrin and is
available for about $50.00 USD/Kg @99.9% assayed purity from several
Chinese companies.

However, the question was and still is 'If I dunk the bag in water to
wash it, would it ruin the bag?' Answer that and see if you can
redeem yourself.

Vance

Is this information anything like all those images you steal from others
and then claim ownership of them, presenting them as your own? Like this
one?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

When you hover your cursor on the "Belongs to" link, it clearly states
"Vance Lear".

Yet we find proof-positive that this image is owned and copyrighted by
someone else.

http://mothphotographersgroup.msstat...p?hodges=08262

With this copyright notice clearly stated at the beginning of that page:

"Photographs are the copyrighted property of each photographer listed.
Contact individual photographers for permission to use for any purpose."

You do understand the meaning of the word "any", don't you?
Old March 20th 11, 12:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Outing Thieving-Trolls is FUN!

wrote:

On Mar 19, 3:43*pm, Michael Black wrote:
On Sat, 19 Mar 2011, bob wrote:
[...]

What Michael says pretty much reflects the experience of people who
have washed their camera bags. There are caveats though, the biggest
being whether or not the bag is constructed with cardboard stiffening,
or other material that will essentially disintegrate when it comes
into contact with liquid water. I don't think this would be a problem
with the name manufacturers like 'Tamrac', 'Lowepro', etc., but it
might be with cheap bags.

The other important caveat is the nature of the odor. Some odors, cat
****, for example, will probably be best treated with something like
an enzyme based deoderizer and then washed. You can usually find it
where they rent carpet steam cleaners.

Short form, if the bag is made with materials that can physically take
water washing, wash it. If the material isn't waterproof, you might
want to spray it with something like 'Scotch Guard'.

Old March 20th 11, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Outing Thieving-Trolls is FUN!

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 17:16:53 -0700 (PDT), Vance
wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...P0Mg?feat=dire...

When you hover your cursor on the "Belongs to" link, it clearly states
"Vance Lear".

Yet we find proof-positive that this image is owned and copyrighted by
someone else.

http://mothphotographersgroup.msstat...p?hodges=08262

With this copyright notice clearly stated at the beginning of that page:

"Photographs are the copyrighted property of each photographer listed.
Contact individual photographers for permission to use for any purpose."

You do understand the meaning of the word "any", don't you?- Hide quoted text -

It amuses me to let you keep posting that.

Vance

It amuses me that everyone in the whole world now knows, proof positive,
that you can't be trusted about anything you say and do. Ever again. About
anything. And that the ONLY one who doesn't realize this is YOU.

LOL!

Old March 20th 11, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

No it doesn't. It still doesn't.

Yet we find proof-positive that this image is owned and copyrighted by
someone else.

http://mothphotographersgroup.msstat...p?hodges=08262

With this copyright notice clearly stated at the beginning of that page:

"Photographs are the copyrighted property of each photographer listed.
Contact individual photographers for permission to use for any purpose."

You do understand the meaning of the word "any", don't you?

Regards,

Eric Stevens